By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 39 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - September 24-30, 2018

Surprisingly Fifa 19 on Switch is up compared to the previous one. Overall decent week.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Around the Network
Stuart23 said:
Surprisingly Fifa 19 on Switch is up compared to the previous one. Overall decent week.

Yes and no on surprising notion, I would say FIFA 18 did fine in Japan on the switch in the long run, but that was because Nintendo advertised it. This will most likely not receive that level of advertisement in Japan, so I don't expect as big of legs. However It is should still be fine in Japan. 

Acevil said:
Stuart23 said:

Yes and no on surprising notion, I would say FIFA 18 did fine in Japan on the switch in the long run, but that was because Nintendo advertised it. This will most likely not receive that level of advertisement in Japan, so I don't expect as big of legs. However It is should still be fine in Japan. 

And that world soccer tournament should have gave it a boost. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
Acevil said:

And that world soccer tournament should have gave it a boost. 

Yes, the world cup fever did help. I wonder how much sales of the FIFA games actually goes down in the long run the yearly series after the world cup. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 03 October 2018

Acevil said:
Stuart23 said:

This version will definitelly benefict from the larger install base this time around. But yeah it will probably be down in the long run, not so much for the less advertisement from Nintendo IMO but because of the World Cup.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Around the Network

Pretty poor for the Switch SKUs, especially Musou Orochi 3 and valkyria chronicles 4. 4x as much for PS4 version without digital on same day for MO3, while VC4 was a late port but not too late, the PS4 version outsold it 10x+.

Fifa 19 okay at 3x, but still quite a bit. And DBZ pretty poor similar to xenoverse 2, it's going to need legs.

Acevil said:
Train wreck said:
Seems that the Japanese consumer is treating Switch 3rd party games/ports like those of the Vita...that's not a good thing.

Or it takes time and traction to actually build consistent user base for specific audience that already exists elsewhere (Vita for example took awhile to build something where it was remotely healthy compared to the PS3, and it took PS4 awhile as well to create something healthy from PSVita success).

In terms of titles on the board I think DBZ Fighters did decently and will have legs for as an example. However TWEWY did flop and I don't know why it was made and who was the target audience for it and that includes in the West, I assume it was one of those cheap as heck things or I hope for Square it was. 

With that said, safe to assume Valkyria Chronicles is in the west hands if it will continue being strong franchise, because the total PS4+Switch Japan sales is just awful.

Yeah, Valkyria Chronicles sales have been disappointing all around. I wouldn't be surprised if this spells the end of the franchise, given how Sega originally moved the franchise to the psp due to disappointing sales of the original title.   

think-man said:
Acevil said:

Or it takes time and traction to actually build consistent user base for specific audience that already exists elsewhere (Vita for example took awhile to build something where it was remotely healthy compared to the PS3, and it took PS4 awhile as well to create something healthy from PSVita success).

In terms of titles on the board I think DBZ Fighters did decently and will have legs for as an example. However TWEWY did flop and I don't know why it was made and who was the target audience for it and that includes in the West, I assume it was one of those cheap as heck things or I hope for Square it was. 

With that said, safe to assume Valkyria Chronicles is in the west hands if it will continue being strong franchise, because the total PS4+Switch Japan sales is just awful.

Yeah, Valkyria Chronicles sales have been disappointing all around. I wouldn't be surprised if this spells the end of the franchise, given how Sega originally moved the franchise to the psp due to disappointing sales of the original title.   

Man Sega was so bad at nurturing during that era and they hurt couple of franchises for it (Valkyria Chronciles being the big one), thankfully Yakuza made it out fine.  

Here is the week 39 update in terms of the two big consoles in Japan's path to be able to reach the commonly stated (in these sales threads) estimates for 2018 sales (2 mil for PS4, 4 mil for Switch) .

TWS GD YTD % Goal AWN (Change)
PS4 20,406 -35,074 1,243,685 62.2% 58,178 (+2698)
Switch 42,957 -115,777 1,820,671 45.6% 167,640 (+8906)

TWS - This week's sales
GD - Goal differential, the difference between the average week needed from last week compared to this week's sales
YTD - Units sold in 2018 so far including this week's sales
AWN - Average weekly sales needed to reach the estimate for the console.

Ack, completely forgot to post this chart last week. So much for consistency. Both systems are up week-over-week which is always a good thing. I added a percentage to goal field now since I'm much, much less certain that at least one console will make it to the goal, so tracking how relatively close they are to it in this final quarter will be important.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 03 October 2018

Ps4 top 3 domination this week! Good sales for orochi, fifa 19 and spiderman. Ps4 back above 20k. Next week pro sales should plummet with the price drop the week after. I wonder if the slim version will drop too.