By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will an improved switch-hardware be released ?

When will an improved switch-hardware be released?

End of 2019, I think so too. 16 25.40%

2020! 22 34.92%

2021. 11 17.46%

Maybe.. (other year or theory) 7 11.11%

nintendo will only develo... 4 6.35%

see results 3 4.76%

Total:63
Miyamotoo said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Mid-cycle like 2DS no way, but at the end of the systems life like Wii Mini I can agree with.

Why no way? Switch is like hybrid actually has much more potential for difrent type of revisions than 3DS, not to mention Wii. Wii was home console, Switch has handheld hardware so of course it will have different type of revisions and you can bet that low price point option will be one of them and that we want wait end of Switch life for something like that.

Pretty much every other post I've made in this thread answers that, including one you quoted before, so just read through them if ya care enough. I'd rather not turn into a broken record.

Around the Network

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-plans-new-version-of-switch-next-year-1538629322

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the new hw will look like.

last92 said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-plans-new-version-of-switch-next-year-1538629322

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the new hw will look like.

Here's whole article: 

TOKYO— Nintendo Co. NTDOY -1.78% plans to release a new version of its Switch videogame console next year to maintain the sales momentum of the device, according to suppliers and others with direct knowledge of the plan.

Sales of the Switch, introduced in March 2017, are still solid but are no longer delivering the favorable surprises that marked the machine’s first year on the market. Nintendo shares, which rose sharply last year, have trailed the broader stock market this year. The move to update the Switch suggests the Kyoto, Japan, company is moving quickly to ensure its flagship product doesn’t lose competitiveness.

Nintendo is still debating what new hardware and software features to include in the upgrade and weighing the cost of the features, people with knowledge of the discussions said.

One option is improving the display, they said. The current Switch uses a lower-end liquid-crystal display without some technologies that are standard in more recent smartphone LCDs.

Updating the display with these technologies would make it brighter, thinner and more energy-efficient. The updated Switch isn’t expected to adopt the organic light-emitting diode or OLED panels used in Apple Inc.’sAAPL 1.22% iPhone X series.

Nintendo is looking to release the new Switch in the latter half of 2019, perhaps as soon as summer, the people said.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment.

Between its introduction last year and June 30 of this year, Nintendo sold 19.7 million units of the Switch, a pace that compares favorably with Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4, the most popular console among the current generation of videogame players. The Switch can be used both as a living-room console and as a portable game machine.

Nintendo has said it wants to sell 20 million units in the year through March 2019, and analysts say they expect sales roughly to match that goal assuming some popular software titles planned for late this year arrive on schedule. Nintendo has said it plans to introduce “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” on Dec. 7.

Videogame makers generally come out with new consoles every five to six years, and it is common for them to update the devices in the middle of their life cycles to keep the momentum going. Sony introduced the PlayStation 4 in November 2013 and updated it with a less-expensive version in September 2016 and a high-end model two months later.

A new Switch would follow that pattern. Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto, who created many of its top games and now holds the title of creative fellow, said in February he wanted the Switch’s life cycle to be longer than usual, suggesting next year’s update of the hardware may not be the last.

The upgraded Switch would likely share many features with the current version and be compatible with existing Switch game software.

Software makers and others in the industry are watching whether Nintendo will clarify the future of its hand-held 3DS videogame device when it decides on the next Switch.

Nintendo has said it would keep selling 3DS machines because they are a safe and affordable option for children. But new game releases for the platform have been declining and some popular franchises, including Nintendo’s own “Pokémon,” moved to the Switch this year.

An executive at one software maker said the 3DS was increasingly overshadowed by smartphones that are well-suited to portable games. He said he was waiting for a “clear message” from Nintendo about what it would do with the 3DS series when it puts out a new Switch.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Miyamotoo said:

Why no way? Switch is like hybrid actually has much more potential for difrent type of revisions than 3DS, not to mention Wii. Wii was home console, Switch has handheld hardware so of course it will have different type of revisions and you can bet that low price point option will be one of them and that we want wait end of Switch life for something like that.

Pretty much every other post I've made in this thread answers that, including one you quoted before, so just read through them if ya care enough. I'd rather not turn into a broken record.

I thought you had some some single reason or good/strong points for such a thinking, but if you alaredy wrote those points and I already reply to you, than just ignore my previous post.

I'd say 2021

With the hardware flaws in the Tegra chips I'm sure Nintendo asks NVidia to iron these out first, and as a result should recieve a true custom Tegra chip

My expectation is somewhere around this:

TSMC 7nm process (Nintendo tends to use an older, proven process and hardware, by that time 7nm and what I write below hopefully fits that bill to them)
4-6 Cortex A75 CPU @ 1.5-1.7 Ghz
384 Turing Cuda Cores @400 (Handheld)-800Ghz (Docked) or 256 Pascal Cuda Cores @600-1200Ghz
8GB LPDDR4-2666, 128bit connection (the LP variant isn't specified higher than that, sadly)
128GB Flash Memory
5000-6000 mAh internal battery

In 7nm, a configuration close to that should get close to XBO S power in docked mode and slightly more powerful in handheld mode than the docked mode now without consuming more, and the stronger battery allows for longer game sessions in handheld mode.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
I'd say 2021

With the hardware flaws in the Tegra chips I'm sure Nintendo asks NVidia to iron these out first, and as a result should recieve a true custom Tegra chip

TSMC 7nm process (Nintendo tends to use an older, proven process and hardware, by that time 7nm and what I write below hopefully fits that bill to them)
384 Turing Cuda Cores @400 (Handheld)-800Ghz (Docked) or 256 Pascal Cuda Cores @600-1200Ghz
8GB LPDDR4-2666, 128bit connection (the LP variant isn't specified higher than that, sadly)
128GB Flash Memory

In 7nm, a configuration close to that should get close to XBO S power in docked mode and slightly more powerful in handheld mode than the docked mode now without consuming more, and the stronger battery allows for longer game sessions in handheld mode.

You still think about 2021!? :D

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=237891&page=1#

2021. was way too late even before this rumour, buy 2021. we will have several Switch difrent type revision, for instance Switch Mini/Pocket and Switch Pro.

Miyamotoo said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:
I'd say 2021

128GB Flash Memory

2021. was way too late even before this rumour, buy 2021. we will have several Switch difrent type revision, for instance Switch Mini/Pocket and Switch Pro.

I know about the report, but a) It's the Wall Street Journal, who has been very wrong in the past when talking about videogame industry, and b) because I don't expect that to have upgraded processing power.

@bolded: for a mini, pro or pocket Switch, all need the same upgrade, otherwise the mini/pocket models run out of power after just one hour of gaming. In fact, those will probably come with the "pro" hardware, but clocked down to "base" processing capabilities to save additional power for them to be able several hours on less battery.

Sure, an Tegra X2 could do the trick, but considering the inherent massive flaws in the chips (just google Spectre and Meltdown) I'm damn sure Nintendo will want new hardware with those flaws eliminated, something that takes a lot of time to implement. Late 2020 is therefore the earliest possible unless Nintendo really accepts the X2 "as is" for a Switch hardware upgrade

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Miyamotoo said:

I know about the report, but a) It's the Wall Street Journal, who has been very wrong in the past when talking about videogame industry, and b) because I don't expect that to have upgraded processing power.

@bolded: for a mini, pro or pocket Switch, all need the same upgrade, otherwise the mini/pocket models run out of power after just one hour of gaming. In fact, those will probably come with the "pro" hardware, but clocked down to "base" processing capabilities to save additional power for them to be able several hours on less battery.

Sure, an Tegra X2 could do the trick, but considering the inherent massive flaws in the chips (just google Spectre and Meltdown) I'm damn sure Nintendo will want new hardware with those flaws eliminated, something that takes a lot of time to implement. Late 2020 is therefore the earliest possible unless Nintendo really accepts the X2 "as is" for a Switch hardware upgrade

I also don't expect necessary upgraded power, but Nintendo handhelds always had revision 2 years after launch, so 2019. was expected for revision even before this WSJ report.

Switch Mini/Pocket can be done even with current specs and whithout any upgrade, we talking about smaller screen and probably more power saving screen.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
To be fair, no one has to do anything, so why have this discussion?

Because we can.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
For Nintendo to remain in business they have to do things.

Correct.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Greatly dropping the Switch's price mid-cycle at the expense of desired features while there's already a cheap option in 3DS I don't think is one of those things.

The 3DS is archaic, it's on the way out. In a few years it will be an irrelevant platform if it isn't already. (I don't really keep an eye on sales.)

Nintendo needs variants of the Switch to hit multiple price points to appeal to more consumers, sell more games and services.

flashfire926 said:
If there are any tech guys here, I have a question.

Will a Switch Revision, with a Nvidia Tegra X2, with 64 or 128 gb flash storage, be feasible for Early 2019, at a price of $299?

Yes. Could be argued that it is feasible now.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
I'd say 2021

128GB Flash Memory

Doubt it. The costs would be pretty big for a revision like that. I think Nintendo will just continue to use off the shelf components. Aka. Pascal.

Besides... The RAM will blow the costs out, Turing Cores isn't going to happen.
I also think you meant Mhz, not Ghz.
7nm will also be fairly expensive compared to a much more mature 16/14/12nm process, especially as capacity is freed up on those nodes as AMD/Intel/nVidia/Apple/Qualcomm etc' move to newer nodes.

Now if they intend to make a "premium" console along the lines of the Playstation 4 Pro/Xbox One X where cost isn't going to be a big factor, then sure. But Turing is still unlikely to happen.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

The flaws can be mitigated to a certain degree.
Really depends how many resources Nintendo wants to throw at the problem.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said: 
Bofferbrauer2 said:
I'd say 2021

128GB Flash Memory

Doubt it. The costs would be pretty big for a revision like that. I think Nintendo will just continue to use off the shelf components. Aka. Pascal.

Besides... The RAM will blow the costs out, Turing Cores isn't going to happen.
I also think you meant Mhz, not Ghz.
7nm will also be fairly expensive compared to a much more mature 16/14/12nm process, especially as capacity is freed up on those nodes as AMD/Intel/nVidia/Apple/Qualcomm etc' move to newer nodes.

Now if they intend to make a "premium" console along the lines of the Playstation 4 Pro/Xbox One X where cost isn't going to be a big factor, then sure. But Turing is still unlikely to happen.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

The flaws can be mitigated to a certain degree.
Really depends how many resources Nintendo wants to throw at the problem.

The flaws can be mitigated, but it would cost the X2 so much power it wouldn't be much of an upgrade anymore, hence why I went with a custom chip. In 7nm, that chip shouldn't be any bigger than the X1 in the Switch, which is produced in 28nm, which means production costs would be about the same. Keep in mind I said 2021, by then the 7nm process should have matured enough, though there's still the possibility of a 10/12nm process (16/14nm would just be too outdated by then even by Nintendo standards imo).

RAM prices are falling again, and by 2021, DDR5 should be arriving. So I doubt 8GiB DDR4 by then would be more expensive than 4GiB when the Switch launched. While I didn't precise it here (I did so before in another thread), that upgraded Switch+ would be released at the same 299$ pricetag as the original Switch in my book.

And yeah, I meant Mhz. Muscle Memory, I suppose.