By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will an improved switch-hardware be released ?

When will an improved switch-hardware be released?

End of 2019, I think so too. 16 25.40%

2020! 22 34.92%

2021. 11 17.46%

Maybe.. (other year or theory) 7 11.11%

nintendo will only develo... 4 6.35%

see results 3 4.76%

Total:63

The previous Nintendo handhelds had HUGE hardware flaws when they launched. The GBA had no backlight screen or rechargeable battery. The DS was really bulky and big. It also had sucky light options. The 3DS was tiny and had no 2nd analog stick. (When its main gimmick was having 3D games).

The Switch's main problem is storage and battery life. I am not sure if Nintendo can make any meaningful progress with battery life in a short time. Also upgrading the storage doesn't need a remodel.

I don't expect a new revision at the earliest until 2020. Even then I only see an alternative revision (IE something akin to the 3DS and 2DS)

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems!

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

Yeah I agree that we’re more likely to see a redesign/ increased battery/ larger or smaller version etc... than a more powerful console any time soon (personally I would welcome a redesign)... I know it’s not feasible but I’d like to see a version without detachable controllers (not gonna happen but a man can dream). I do hope the successor to the switch is essentially a more powerful switch and that they don’t try to fuck with the formula too much as they’re on a good thing. 

Pemalite said:
To be fair, Nintendo doesn't have to do anything.
To be fair, no one has to do anything, so why have this discussion? lol man what a silly response. For Nintendo to remain in business they have to do things. Greatly dropping the Switch's price mid-cycle at the expense of desired features while there's already a cheap option in 3DS I don't think is one of those things. We'll see soon enough which of us Nintendo agrees with!

Improved as in more powerful? 2020. Switch mini? As early as 2019.

I'm mixed on whether or not if they should have an upgrade or not. Unless they pull off Xbox One and PS4 like performance then it seems like a pointless upgrade, but if they made that upgrade, then the current Switch would be absolutely worthless, and by that point it should be called the Switch 2.

Around the Network

If there are any tech guys here, I have a question.

Will a Switch Revision, with a Nvidia Tegra X2, with 64 or 128 gb flash storage, be feasible for Early 2019, at a price of $299?

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
zorg1000 said:
Absolutely, $199 w/game is a great price for a few years but at some point they will do some cost cutting  revisions to get the price as low as possible like they did with 2DS or Wii Mini.
Mid-cycle like 2DS no way, but at the end of the systems life like Wii Mini I can agree with.

Why no way? Switch is like hybrid actually has much more potential for difrent type of revisions than 3DS, not to mention Wii. Wii was home console, Switch has handheld hardware so of course it will have different type of revisions and you can bet that low price point option will be one of them and that we want wait end of Switch life for something like that.

killeryoshis said: 
The previous Nintendo handhelds had HUGE hardware flaws when they launched. The GBA had no backlight screen or rechargeable battery. The DS was really bulky and big. It also had sucky light options. The 3DS was tiny and had no 2nd analog stick. (When its main gimmick was having 3D games). 

The Switch's main problem is storage and battery life. I am not sure if Nintendo can make any meaningful progress with battery life in a short time. Also upgrading the storage doesn't need a remodel. 

I don't expect a new revision at the earliest until 2020. Even then I only see an alternative revision (IE something akin to the 3DS and 2DS)

Thats where you wrong, when we talking about revisions its not just point to fix some things of previous model, but also point that cut down costs also and point revisions always boost sales in any case, for instance espacily when we talking about hybrids plenty of people are buying new revisons also even if they older one.

Miyamotoo said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Mid-cycle like 2DS no way, but at the end of the systems life like Wii Mini I can agree with.

Why no way? Switch is like hybrid actually has much more potential for difrent type of revisions than 3DS, not to mention Wii. Wii was home console, Switch has handheld hardware so of course it will have different type of revisions and you can bet that low price point option will be one of them and that we want wait end of Switch life for something like that.

Pretty much every other post I've made in this thread answers that, including one you quoted before, so just read through them if ya care enough. I'd rather not turn into a broken record.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-plans-new-version-of-switch-next-year-1538629322

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the new hw will look like.

last92 said:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-plans-new-version-of-switch-next-year-1538629322

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the new hw will look like.

Here's whole article: 

TOKYO— Nintendo Co. NTDOY -1.78% plans to release a new version of its Switch videogame console next year to maintain the sales momentum of the device, according to suppliers and others with direct knowledge of the plan.

Sales of the Switch, introduced in March 2017, are still solid but are no longer delivering the favorable surprises that marked the machine’s first year on the market. Nintendo shares, which rose sharply last year, have trailed the broader stock market this year. The move to update the Switch suggests the Kyoto, Japan, company is moving quickly to ensure its flagship product doesn’t lose competitiveness.

Nintendo is still debating what new hardware and software features to include in the upgrade and weighing the cost of the features, people with knowledge of the discussions said.

One option is improving the display, they said. The current Switch uses a lower-end liquid-crystal display without some technologies that are standard in more recent smartphone LCDs.

Updating the display with these technologies would make it brighter, thinner and more energy-efficient. The updated Switch isn’t expected to adopt the organic light-emitting diode or OLED panels used in Apple Inc.’sAAPL 1.22% iPhone X series.

Nintendo is looking to release the new Switch in the latter half of 2019, perhaps as soon as summer, the people said.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment.

Between its introduction last year and June 30 of this year, Nintendo sold 19.7 million units of the Switch, a pace that compares favorably with Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4, the most popular console among the current generation of videogame players. The Switch can be used both as a living-room console and as a portable game machine.

Nintendo has said it wants to sell 20 million units in the year through March 2019, and analysts say they expect sales roughly to match that goal assuming some popular software titles planned for late this year arrive on schedule. Nintendo has said it plans to introduce “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” on Dec. 7.

Videogame makers generally come out with new consoles every five to six years, and it is common for them to update the devices in the middle of their life cycles to keep the momentum going. Sony introduced the PlayStation 4 in November 2013 and updated it with a less-expensive version in September 2016 and a high-end model two months later.

A new Switch would follow that pattern. Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto, who created many of its top games and now holds the title of creative fellow, said in February he wanted the Switch’s life cycle to be longer than usual, suggesting next year’s update of the hardware may not be the last.

The upgraded Switch would likely share many features with the current version and be compatible with existing Switch game software.

Software makers and others in the industry are watching whether Nintendo will clarify the future of its hand-held 3DS videogame device when it decides on the next Switch.

Nintendo has said it would keep selling 3DS machines because they are a safe and affordable option for children. But new game releases for the platform have been declining and some popular franchises, including Nintendo’s own “Pokémon,” moved to the Switch this year.

An executive at one software maker said the 3DS was increasingly overshadowed by smartphones that are well-suited to portable games. He said he was waiting for a “clear message” from Nintendo about what it would do with the 3DS series when it puts out a new Switch.