By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would You Like to See a New Dedicated Handheld from Nintendo?

Would You Like to See a New Dedicated Handheld from Nintendo?

Yes, within the next year or two 138 12.96%

Yes, but not for a few years yet 120 11.27%

No, hybrid consoles from now on 633 59.44%

No, I don't like/use handhelds 174 16.34%

Total:1,065

no, why would anyone want that??? cheaper price??? I think N will eventually release a dockless switch, so that it is cheaper.

Around the Network

No. The dedicated handheld market is dying rapidly. Vita did crap this gen and 3ds was miles down on the DS. There's no successor to the vita and even if Nintendo release a dedicated switch it will be miles down on 3ds anyway. The market is srinking rapidly.

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

Gameboy/GBA Classic can fill this void.

Indeed, and Classic versions of those two systems make more sense than doing a N64 Classic anyway.

GB or GBA Classic can be expected to hit the market after the 3DS has fizzled out, because right now Nintendo would more or less compete with itself in the low-end portable console space. Something like holidays 2019 for GB Classic, holidays 2020 for GBA Classic; by 2021 Switch itself should have a cheap enough SKU to cater to the lower end of the portable console market, so Nintendo can handle this situation without any notable interruptions in offerings.

Well I think N64 Classic is a given at some point but they are probably giving NES/SNES Classic some breathing room with this being their first holiday without stock issues.

But ya, the GB/GBA Classic once 3DS is finally dead makes sense to fill that $70-80 price range that 2DS currently is at. And I agree that by 2021 Switch should have a $199 sku so it can take over the spot that the higher end 3DS models have filled.

Here is the current Nintendo hardware lineup

NES Classic-$69.99

SNES Classic-$79.99

2DS-$79.99

New 2DS XL-$149.99

New 3DS XL-$199.99

Switch-$299.99

I could see something like this a few years from now

GB Classic-$69.99

GBA Classic-$79.99

N64 Classic-$99.99

Switch TV-$169.99

Switch Mini-$199.99

Switch Pro-$299.99

I think Nintendo wants to keep a wide variety of price points and hardware lines without necessarily having to split up resources like they have in the past.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Mar1217 said:
benji232 said:

Then where are all the games lol? Where is our unified library? In 2018, we got ……………………… A Kirby platformer and Mario tennis. Sick Unified library Nintendo... Nah, I'd prefer get 2 platforms since were obviously netting way less games then before.

So we're gonna purposefully forget about what's coming in the near future with SMP, Pokémon Let's Go and Smash Ultimate and the line up we got so far for 2019 just for your own egostistic self-entitled view on game developpement I

It's not about what is coming this holiday. Nintendo will always have 1-2 major releases in the holiday season. I am talking about the first 9 months of the year which are just as important. If Nintendo can't keep me engaged with their system for 75% of the year, then yes, they are failing especially considering the fact that they unified both businesses but we are not netting more games. (were getting even less games)

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

benji232 said:
Mar1217 said:

So we're gonna purposefully forget about what's coming in the near future with SMP, Pokémon Let's Go and Smash Ultimate and the line up we got so far for 2019 just for your own egostistic self-entitled view on game developpement I

It's not about what is coming this holiday. Nintendo will always have 1-2 major releases in the holiday season. I am talking about the first 9 months of the year which are just as important. If Nintendo can't keep me engaged with their system for 75% of the year, then yes, they are failing especially considering the fact that they unified both businesses but we are not netting more games. (were getting even less games)

Here is the list of Nintendo published titles of the first 3 quarters of 2018. They have released games every month.

January-Kirby Battle Royale

February-Bayonetta 1+2

March-Kirby Star Allies, Detective Pikachu

April-Labo Variety, Labo Robot

May-DKC Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, Dillon's Dead Heat Breakers

June-Mario Tennis, Sushi Striker

July-Octopath Traveler, Captain Toad

August-WarioWare Gold

Sept-Xenoblade 2:Torna, Labo Vehicle

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Pure Handheld console? No.
A hybrid of a different kind? yes.

Specifically, a smaller Handheld/Smartphone hybrid with non-removable Joycons and digital only (cartridge slot would make it too thick for a smartphone). No Android, just Switch eShop with some added productivity and leisure apps and Nintendos Smartphone games come preinstalled

Edit: Just for explanation: An XL version like Nintendo did with the 3DS won't really work since the Switch is already pretty large, making it even bigger would strongly hurt it's portability. Hence, I'd wait for the midlife hardware upgrade, then build it into a smaller Smartphone form (5-5.5 inches) with the buttons and thumbpads of the joycons on each side of the screen (and add some things you find in every smartphone, like cameras and a microphone), full phone functionality and sell it for about 300$

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 02 October 2018

The Switch satisfies my need for both console and handheld.

Going forward, Nintendo needs to stick with a unified platform. If they do a console handheld combo in the future, both systems need to share the same game library, which means no more handhelds that are significantly weaker than the console.

If it runs switch games, no problem.

nuckles87 said:
I would certainly like to see a Switch-compatible dedicated handheld platform, preferably one with dual screens and 3DS/DS backwards compatibility. The Switch is already built on mobile technology. There’s no reason they couldn’t fit that technology into a more pocket-friendly form factor, and make it the latest in their DS line along with that.

A cheaper, portable-only Switch would also fill in the more budget-minded gamer niche currently occupied by 3DS systems rather nicely. I think the mobile market, including the portable gaming market, has certainly proved that there is a demand for different screen sizes and form factors.

This way, Nintendo continues their successful DS line, without needing to significantly split their software support between two platforms, since the majority of titles could be cross-compatible.

DS concept and screen would mean games made specifically for that concept and screen and that means those games couldn't run on other versions of Switch hardware, so DS concept and screen dont make any sense for some Switch revision. DS line is dead after 3DS, people need to accept that.

HintHRO said:
If Switch is supposed to cover both the handheld and console market then where are all the games? First and second party Nintendo developers could've have worked on Switch exclusives for perhaps 3 years now and still the Switch is suffering from a serious lack of original high quality games. What have they been doing all these years? If this is the best they can offer with one console with last generation hardware, I'd rather have both a handheld and a console like 3DS/Wii U and DS/Wii and Gameboy/Gamecube

Switch killed with 1st year lineup and quality of games, second year is not hot but its OK if you didnt had Wii U, and third year (2019.) even now look it will be great even if we only count currently confirmed games. So you would again have 3DS/WiiU situation where you didnt have all IPs on one platfrom and when we had huge drought of games and generally less support for each separate platform, than having all IPs on one single platform without any drought and platform that generally has much better support!?

HintHRO said:
Mar1217 said:

So we're gonna purposefully forget about what's coming in the near future with SMP, Pokémon Let's Go and Smash Ultimate and the line up we got so far for 2019 just for your own egostistic self-entitled view on game developpement ?

Five Nintendo exclusives in a whole year (of which most are mediocre) and a few lazy ports and a horrible online service. That's not what I call an impressive output for a company as big as Nintendo with dozens of internal and 2nd party studios that had the opportunity to make great games for Switch since way back before Switch was even announced. Nintendo made more games when it was supporting two systems at the same time. So why would you want one system with less original games than even Wii U?

Kirby, Labo, Mario Tennis, Sushi Striker, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade 2:Torna, Mario Party, Pokémon Let's Go and Smash Ultimate is much more than 5 exclusive games, add to that ports/remaster like Bayonetta 1+2, DKC Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, The World Ends with You and you have definitely not best but solid year especially if you didn't had Wii U. Dont act like 2017. didnt exist, like 2019. also dont exist (2019. even now look it will be great even if we only count currently confirmed games), or that every person in world had Wii U when fact is there is only 13.5m sold Wii U consoles number that Switch passed at end of last year.

benji232 said:
Yes. Nintendo's output so far on switch in 2018 is a testament to why they need a budget handheld device. Their game releases has been laughable in 2018. I am a huge Nintendo fan and I purchased 1 first party switch game in 2018 (LOL, I don't even think that ever happened even for wiiU) and it's Mario tennis which is a third tier franchise (LOL again). They're trying to camouflage their poor output of games with a bunch of full-priced ports which is inexcusable and are essentially punishing people who supported them through and through in the wiiU days.

So why does all of this matters? Because a budget handheld would allow them to release games on a more frequent basis due to the need for smaller teams and cheaper budgets. This would allow Nintendo fans like myself to not have to wait 4-6months (or more, we haven't had a AAA Nintendo release since October 2017 which is ridiculous) between each major Nintendo first party releases. In the wiiU and 3ds days, it was almost always the case of when there was nothing to play on wiiU, something would release on 3DS and vice-versa which in the end means more money for Nintendo. Not to mention, a budget handheld device would almost certainly sell very well for them.

/end of rant

Yeah, this rant all right. :D

benji232 said:
HintHRO said:
If Switch is supposed to cover both the handheld and console market then where are all the games? First and second party Nintendo developers could've have worked on Switch exclusives for perhaps 3 years now and still the Switch is suffering from a serious lack of original high quality games. What have they been doing all these years? If this is the best they can offer with one console with last generation hardware, I'd rather have both a handheld and a console like 3DS/Wii U and DS/Wii and Gameboy/Gamecube

Omg this exactly. Everyone was defending Nintendo for unifying both of their businesses by saying that we would get more games then before. But we are actually getting the same amount of content as the wiiU was getting or EVEN LESS which is absolutely insane. 

And no, I don't count full priced ports as "first party releases". Especially when they aren't even trying with those ports. I mean come on, you can't even try to add an extra world of 2 in donkey kong tropical freeze to entice us who already bought the game. Or how about an extra world in NSMBU deluxe. 

I can't believe people are defending these ports when Nintendo is basically putting bare minimum effort. Now I understand the old saying "Desperate Nintendo is best Nintendo".

Saying that Switch is getting some amount of content like Wii U was getting for same time period even less is a pure nonsense.

But fact is that ports are first party releases. I realise that this year is not existing for ex Wii U owners, but people need to realise that Switch at end of last year already passed LT Wii U install base. Saying that, Switch already has plenty of new games confirmed for next year.

When you already have good/great game you cant need do much when you porting it, higher resolution is good enugh espacily when those game are not aimed to ex Wii U owners on first place.

nemo37 said:

If Nintendo and Nvidia come to an agreement that results in a die shrink for the Tegra X1 then I would love to see a pocketble version of the Switch (which will run the same software as Switch, just in a smaller form factor). Outside of that I would much rather they just focus on the Switch platform as opposed to split their development efforts again.

Or they can just use Tegra X2.

omarct said:
Yes, I think the switch it too big and clunky for a handheld, not to mention the short battery life. They definitely need a handheld only system compatible with switch games but also having smaller games made specifically for it. I specially feel this way for younger gamers 6-12 year olds who are likely to drop the switch, lose accessories, all day playing on and off without having to charge it, simpler more kid friendly games etc...

Why would make smaller games specifically for it when point is to play all games on every Switch device, not to mentioned they would cut sales of those games big time in that way.

zorg1000 said:
RolStoppable said:

Indeed, and Classic versions of those two systems make more sense than doing a N64 Classic anyway.

GB or GBA Classic can be expected to hit the market after the 3DS has fizzled out, because right now Nintendo would more or less compete with itself in the low-end portable console space. Something like holidays 2019 for GB Classic, holidays 2020 for GBA Classic; by 2021 Switch itself should have a cheap enough SKU to cater to the lower end of the portable console market, so Nintendo can handle this situation without any notable interruptions in offerings.

Here is the current Nintendo hardware lineup

NES Classic-$69.99

SNES Classic-$79.99

2DS-$79.99

New 2DS XL-$149.99

New 3DS XL-$199.99

Switch-$299.99

I could see something like this a few years from now

GB Classic-$69.99

GBA Classic-$79.99

N64 Classic-$99.99

Switch TV-$169.99

Switch Mini-$199.99

Switch Pro-$299.99

I think Nintendo wants to keep a wide variety of price points and hardware lines without necessarily having to split up resources like they have in the past.

You missing regular Switch in current form, you have huge gap in price point between Mini and Pro. IMO something like this:

-Switch TV-$150-200

-Switch Mini/Pocket-$150-200

-Switch revision in current form - around $250

-Switch Pro-$300

But that really depends about what year we talking, how much prices will go down until than.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 02 October 2018

benji232 said:
Dulfite said:
I don't think my preferred choice is on the poll. I want them to create a new handheld, but with the same library and gaming capabilities of the regular Switch. I don't want it to be weaker or stronger than the Switch, causing the studios to be split up again making games for either or the other. I want the studios to stay unified making games for the same platform, but I do want Nintendo to make a cheaper, smaller, better battery, and portable only option for the Switch (though I'm not sure the name would make sense then).

Then where are all the games lol? Where is our unified library? In 2018, we got ……………………… A Kirby platformer and Mario tennis. Sick Unified library Nintendo... Nah, I'd prefer get 2 platforms since were obviously netting way less games then before.

Nintendo just had one of their best and most productive years ever last year. Switch alone had Breath of the Wild, Snipperclips, 1,2,Switch, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, Fire Emblem Warriors, Super Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Sure, you can try to whittle down that list. Some aren’t developed internally. Some are enhanced ports, or likely started development on Wii U, or aren’t up to your standards of triple A Nintendo development. But these are still all games Nintendo had to invest in, all of these games have new content, and they all released, month after month, throughout 2017. This is easily the greatest string of post-launch releases that Nintendo has had in decades.

And you know what always happens after Nintendo releases a string of huge titles? A drought. There is ALWAYS a drought. GameCube had one. Wii had one. DS had one (while the GameCube was having one). GameCube saw a bunch of Nintendo-published and developed titles released at and just after it’s launch: Luigi’s Mansion, Wave Race, Pikmin, and Super Smash Bros Melee. Then after that?  We had a grand total of...one Nintendo published title between January 1st and August 25th of 2002. That touched off another flurry of releases that went into 2003. Then another drought. Wii had a similar issue in 2007 and mid 2008-2009. Game development takes time and resources, an droughts in the release schedule from any publisher is expected, regardless of how many platforms they focus on.

Frankly, Nintendo’s ability to fill the Switch’s second year with a lot of ports has made this drought in original first party releases a HECK of a lot more tolerabel than it’s ever been in the past. And we’ve still gotten a decent number of first party titles this year, like: Kirby Star Allies, Labo, Mario Tennis Aces, Super Mario Party, Pokemon Let’s Go, and of course Super Smash Bros Ultimate, not to mention two expansions, Octo Expansion and Xenoblade 2: Torna, which have so much content they could practically be their own games (well, in the case of Torna, it basically is).

And then we have the currently-known 2019 Nintendo-published games, which include: Pokemon Gen 8, Luigi’s Mansion 3, Animal Crossing, Daemon X Machina, Fire Emblem Three Houses and Yoshi’s Crafted World (both of which are delayed 2018 titles), not to mention potential, announced titles like Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, and Pikmin 4. It’s not even 2019 yet and the year is already looking pretty packed with Nintendo releases, and there will surely be further titles revealed next year, including whatever Retro has been working on. If THIS is what 2019 looks like, it will be one of the best years for Nintendo-published titles of any Nintendo platform, ever. And this will probably be because they are no longer splitting development, resources, and funding between increasingly-demanding console and handheld experiences.

rolltide101x said:

Not specifically a Nintendo fan but personally I think they need a true handheld as well because in all honesty the Switch is not very portable and not feasible for the majority of situations. I enjoy my Switch but in all honesty I cant carry it around with me without a laptop bag or something similar where my PSVita could just be put in my pocket. But I am personally a bigger fan of the Switch than the 3DS, the 3DS screen resolution was just to low for me. But my fiance prefers the 3DS to the Switch because of its portability. She takes it with her to college and plays it on her downtime between classes, she does not want to lug the Switch along with her as she already has to take so much.

I am not going to vote due to this primarily being a Nintendo fan discussion. Just thought I would put in my 2 cents as a Switch/3DS owner. (I own a 2DS and a New 3DS)

Yeah, basically. My Switch is way less convenient to carry around then my 3DS/DS ever were, and if I had a choice, I would totally be leaving my regular Switch at home and lugging a DS-sized equivalent on all but my big trips. Some people seem to forget that the Switch had to sacrifice things on both the console AND portable side of things. Yeah, it’s way less powerful than other home consoles. But it’s also way less portable and has a worse battery life than any Nintendo portable. It’s definitely not especially pocket friendly, the joycons especially. We may not need a BRAND NEW seperate portable system, but a smaller, more portable-friendly Switch would be appreciated. And since they could strip out a lot of the joycon tech (like the seperate batteries, Bluetooth, seperate rumbles), shrink the screen and battery, consolidate everything to a single motherboard, remove the fan, and leave out the dock, it could also be a lot cheaper. I wouldn’t be surprised if a Switch-compatibly system in this vein could be sold at the same price the New 2DS XL goes for right now if released next year.

Miyamotoo said:
nuckles87 said:
I would certainly like to see a Switch-compatible dedicated handheld platform, preferably one with dual screens and 3DS/DS backwards compatibility. The Switch is already built on mobile technology. There’s no reason they couldn’t fit that technology into a more pocket-friendly form factor, and make it the latest in their DS line along with that.

A cheaper, portable-only Switch would also fill in the more budget-minded gamer niche currently occupied by 3DS systems rather nicely. I think the mobile market, including the portable gaming market, has certainly proved that there is a demand for different screen sizes and form factors.

This way, Nintendo continues their successful DS line, without needing to significantly split their software support between two platforms, since the majority of titles could be cross-compatible.

DS concept and screen would mean games made specifically for that concept and screen and that means those games couldn't run on other versions of Switch hardware, so DS concept and screen dont make any sense for some Switch revision. DS line is dead after 3DS, people need to accept that.

A dual-screen form factor doesn’t mean that a substantial number of games would need to be made for that form factor. Most games that utilize the second screen could do so optionally, using the screen for maps, item selection, restoring Wii U dual-screen functionality to certain Wii U ports, etc. Just look at the New 3DS line of systems. VERY few games are actually built with this version of the 3DS in mind, and most that were are either digital-only or couldn’t have run on the 3DS otherwise. For the most part, the New 3DS line was mostly utilized for optional enhancements. Same goes for the DSi.

The main point of such a model would be to:

1. Make a much more portable friendly model of the Switch, with the 3DS’s pocket-friendly clamshell design.

2. Merge the 3DS/DS and Switch libraries into a single ecosystem, giving Switch owners the ability to enjoy their 3DS and Switch experiences on a single platform.

3. Bring over certain awesome 3DS features to a Switch platform, like streetpass and the second screen, the latter of which has been at the core of Nintendo’s portable game design for well over a decade, allowing for digital-only remakes/sequels of any games where the second screen is vital to game design.

There may not be much value in this for you, but I think it would be foolish for Nintendo to abandon such a successful line of portables. If Nintendo is going to make a portable-only Switch (and I think there’s a market for it), then they ought to incorporate 3DS/DS backwards compatibility into it. 

Last edited by nuckles87 - on 02 October 2018