By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would You Like to See a New Dedicated Handheld from Nintendo?

Would You Like to See a New Dedicated Handheld from Nintendo?

Yes, within the next year or two 138 12.96%

Yes, but not for a few years yet 120 11.27%

No, hybrid consoles from now on 633 59.44%

No, I don't like/use handhelds 174 16.34%

Total:1,065
HintHRO said:
If Switch is supposed to cover both the handheld and console market then where are all the games? First and second party Nintendo developers could've have worked on Switch exclusives for perhaps 3 years now and still the Switch is suffering from a serious lack of original high quality games. What have they been doing all these years? If this is the best they can offer with one console with last generation hardware, I'd rather have both a handheld and a console like 3DS/Wii U and DS/Wii and Gameboy/Gamecube

Omg this exactly. Everyone was defending Nintendo for unifying both of their businesses by saying that we would get more games then before. But we are actually getting the same amount of content as the wiiU was getting or EVEN LESS which is absolutely insane. 

And no, I don't count full priced ports as "first party releases". Especially when they aren't even trying with those ports. I mean come on, you can't even try to add an extra world of 2 in donkey kong tropical freeze to entice us who already bought the game. Or how about an extra world in NSMBU deluxe. 

I can't believe people are defending these ports when Nintendo is basically putting bare minimum effort. Now I understand the old saying "Desperate Nintendo is best Nintendo".

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
I don't think my preferred choice is on the poll. I want them to create a new handheld, but with the same library and gaming capabilities of the regular Switch. I don't want it to be weaker or stronger than the Switch, causing the studios to be split up again making games for either or the other. I want the studios to stay unified making games for the same platform, but I do want Nintendo to make a cheaper, smaller, better battery, and portable only option for the Switch (though I'm not sure the name would make sense then).

Then where are all the games lol? Where is our unified library? In 2018, we got ……………………… A Kirby platformer and Mario tennis. Sick Unified library Nintendo... Nah, I'd prefer get 2 platforms since were obviously netting way less games then before.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

No. I have long wanted a hybrid Nintendo console and hope they continue

Mar1217 said:
benji232 said:

Then where are all the games lol? Where is our unified library? In 2018, we got ……………………… A Kirby platformer and Mario tennis. Sick Unified library Nintendo... Nah, I'd prefer get 2 platforms since were obviously netting way less games then before.

So we're gonna purposefully forget about what's coming in the near future with SMP, Pokémon Let's Go and Smash Ultimate and the line up we got so far for 2019 just for your own egostistic self-entitled view on game developpement ?

Yes

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

If Nintendo and Nvidia come to an agreement that results in a die shrink for the Tegra X1 then I would love to see a pocketble version of the Switch (which will run the same software as Switch, just in a smaller form factor). Outside of that I would much rather they just focus on the Switch platform as opposed to split their development efforts again.

Around the Network

I know I'm going to offend some by saying this but ... Switch already is a dedicated handheld. Everything needed to play is in the handheld device. I love the console aspect of it, don't get me wrong, but it really is a handheld already. The only thing that they could do to cater to the handheld audience more is a smaller Switch, but it probably would still have a dock even then.

No, I think they've finally found a hardware concept that can stick long term and they can keep selling for decades (ala PlayStation) as opposed to a fad that will be huge for one gen then disappear the next (ala Wii/Wii U). I see no reason for them to go back.

Mar1217 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I know I'm going to offend some by saying this but ... Switch already is a dedicated handheld. Everything needed to play is in the handheld device. I love the console aspect of it, don't get me wrong, but it really is a handheld already. The only thing that they could do to cater to the handheld audience more is a smaller Switch, but it probably would still have a dock even then.

It's litteraly both. Which is the definition of an hybrid.

Literally or figuratively? Because literally, it's not both. Figuratively, it is.

Mar1217 said:

Literally or figuratively? Because literally, it's not both. Figuratively, it is.

Both. 

That does not even make sense. But ok. 

P.S. I do think Switch is a hybrid, it just is literally a handheld device. 

Mar1217 said:

That does not even make sense. But ok. 

P.S. I do think Switch is a hybrid, it just is literally a handheld device. 

Yes, it is. Just as it can also be used as a home console only device. It's a pratical middleground for both and that's fantastic for people who wants this kind of flexibility.

Ok. And I don't disagree with any of that. You're kind of just saying it isn't a handheld device but a hybrid, while I'm saying it's literally a handheld device but acts as a hybrid. You can keep saying it isn't one but at the end of the day it doesn't seem like we disagree all that much.