By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should Brett Kavanaugh SCOTUS Nomination Continue?

Should Brett Kavanaugh SCOTUS Nomination Continue?

Yes 53 47.32%

No 41 36.61%

Trump should pick a new canidate 18 16.07%

Total:112
the-pi-guy said:
NightlyPoe said:

Even if I were to concede that point, you just conceded it as something other than a lie.

It's mischaracterizing evidence.  Does not make for a judge. 

NightlyPoe said:

Being in a different location, in a different type of building, with more people is very much a different type of event.

Well, I think that's ludicrous, but neither of us are going to change our minds on it.  

NightlyPoe said:

Devil's Triangle

Boof (an LA Times writer BTW)

Thanks, I'll concede on these.

contestgamer said:

Trumps is president, so he gets to choose his team. Why should he bother picking someone that shows good faith to half the country when that same half shows no good faith towards him?

He doesn't have to, but Obama did. 

Obama picked a moderate, that was suggested by Republicans.  

He had to for any chance of Republicans passing him. Trump right now can pass anyone he wants. The US population also wasnt as anti Obama as it is anti Trump, so Trump has more reason to do some pay back against Democrats.

Around the Network

Double Post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

contestgamer said:
Signalstar said:
No it should not continue. Kavanaugh proved he is a vengeful, partisan hack with his responses yesterday. He blamed democrats and the left for conspiring against him. He will be a judge for all Americans but he showed his animus to half the country. He only did this because he knows he only needs 51 votes rather than 60. The lower threshold means he only has to appeal to the conservative base. Trump should pick another conservative judge.

Trumps is president, so he gets to choose his team. Why should he bother picking someone that shows good faith to half the country when that same half shows no good faith towards him?

Obama won the popular vote and electoral college by comfortable margins both times. Both of Obama's supreme court nominees were confirmed by at least 60 votes (talk about lowering the bar to 50). Obama had a third supreme court vacancy but Senate Republicans decided that it did not matter he was still president. They then changed the rules so they did not need bi-partisan support for their two nominees. How is it fair that Trump in less than 2 years has the same weight on the supreme court than Obama had in 8 years?

Sorry I quoted the wrong post before.

Signalstar said:
contestgamer said:

Obama won the popular vote and electoral college by comfortable margins both times. Both of Obama's supreme court nominees were confirmed by at least 60 votes (talk about lowering the bar to 50). Obama had a third supreme court vacancy but Senate Republicans decided that it did not matter he was still president. They then changed the rules so they did not need bi-partisan support for their two nominees. How is it fair that Trump in less than 2 years has the same weight on the supreme court than Obama had in 8 years?

Life isnt fair.

contestgamer said:
Signalstar said:

Life isnt fair.

Thanks for the wisdom. I know it is not fair. I just don't understand how people like you and others in this thread can be so dismissive of Democrats as if they are so lost and so far from the mainstream that it will be impossible for them to take power again any time soon. Democrats are the majority. Democrats have won the popular vote 6 of the last 7 presidential elections. The 51 senators that support Kavanaugh represent 143 Million Americans. The 49 senators that did not support Kavanaugh 182 Million Americans. This is minority rule. I won't argue that the system is broken and it needs to be fixed (even though it is and it should) because everybody knows the rules going in and they agree to it. But conservatives are deluding themselves if they think their hold will last or their marginal victories are sustainable.

Republican politicians are like small children that change the rules of the game when it's their turn so they win.

Around the Network

He starts on Tuesday. Now we'll move onto the next subject in the news. Supreme Court wont be a hot topic till RGB gives up/kicks the bucket, if Trump gets a second term,its likely he'll get another SC pick down the road.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Signalstar said:
contestgamer said:

Life isnt fair.

Thanks for the wisdom. I know it is not fair. I just don't understand how people like you and others in this thread can be so dismissive of Democrats as if they are so lost and so far from the mainstream that it will be impossible for them to take power again any time soon. Democrats are the majority. Democrats have won the popular vote 6 of the last 7 presidential elections. The 51 senators that support Kavanaugh represent 143 Million Americans. The 49 senators that did not support Kavanaugh 182 Million Americans. This is minority rule. I won't argue that the system is broken and it needs to be fixed (even though it is and it should) because everybody knows the rules going in and they agree to it. But conservatives are deluding themselves if they think their hold will last or their marginal victories are sustainable.

Republican politicians are like small children that change the rules of the game when it's their turn so they win.

Popular vote doesnt matter. Gerrymandering makes this a sustainable strategy, as well as voter suppression laws and other tactics. There's no reason to believe it wont work in the future as it has in the past. Democrats can keep hanging their hats on the popular votes while we win the elections.

the-pi-guy said:
NightlyPoe said:

Again, you've moved away from saying he lied.  You're now quibbling over whether Kavanaugh's assessment of the meaning was too strong.

No I haven't.  

He claimed that it was refuted.  It wasn't.  

NightlyPoe said:

What's ludicrous about noting that the July 1 event doesn't match the testimony of the accuser and that its existence is not evidence that Kavanaugh lied about not being at a party that she described?

He did not say he was not at the party described.  

He said he was never at any party like the one described.  

It's like this.  Imagine someone was accused of stealing from a store, and their defence was "I've never been at any store like the one described." And he submitted his calendar, which showed him clearly going to the same type of store.  

You know you have no argument when you are reduced to arguing semantics.  It's time to move on.  He never perjured himself and no one is going to seriously pursue that angle legally.  Unless they want to lose all credibility.  It was just another lie to get the Dem base riled up. 

If anyone perjured themselves, it was Ford.  With her obvious lie about being afraid to fly and why/when the second door was put on her house.  The lie detector part may have been, but since it probably could never be proven, no point in focusing on it.

RolStoppable said:
Looks like justice won out in the end. Well, the American version of it.

Going to be fun to watch when the Republicans come out on top during the midterms.

They will probably keep the senate but lose the house.

RolStoppable said:
jason1637 said:

They will probably keep the senate but lose the house.

Wrong.

They'll keep the house, the kitchen and the ice-cream. Two scoops for Trump.

You're wrong not me.