By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Should Brett Kavanaugh SCOTUS Nomination Continue?

Should Brett Kavanaugh SCOTUS Nomination Continue?

Yes 53 47.32%

No 41 36.61%

Trump should pick a new canidate 18 16.07%

Total:112

What baffles me is why they didn't go with another, maybe even more conservative judge like Gorsuch after everything.
They just had to fight that one until the bitter end.

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
Kavanaugh is now a Supreme Court justice. Now, what will the Democrats do? Bitch and cry? Self-reflect?

This is really inappropriate for a moderator  

morenoingrato said:
What baffles me is why they didn't go with another, maybe even more conservative judge like Gorsuch after everything.

Aside from Trump worrying such a move would make him look weak, there's no guarantee that they'd have been able to push through the appointment before the mid-terms, or that the Republicans will have control of the senate after them. He probably thought it was better to install a moderate conservative rather than risk having to put a moderate liberal on as a compromise with a Democrat-controlled senate.

NightlyPoe said:
morenoingrato said:

I mentioned earlier in the thread that it would create a Kavanaugh precedent.  It would set up a system whereby people, Republicans in particular, could be destroyed by unsubstantiated accusations.  Once that happens, getting the best and brightest to put their names forward becomes much more difficult.  Particularly if it becomes known that when the attacks come, the nominee will be thrown under the bus.

Personally, I would have moved on from Kavanaugh despite the precedent.  But I would have abolished judiciary hearings as punishment and given the next nominee an expedited floor vote.

Whether the accusations were true or not (and if you ask me, there was not enough grounds to reject him solely based on the accusations), his behavior seemed inappropriate and saying things like "revenge on behalf of the Clintons" is very unbefitting of a judge.  They had the power and a solid majority to put any judge they wished but they went through through with this anyway.

"But I would have abolished judiciary hearings as punishment and given the next nominee an expedited floor vote."

That opinion is petty and authoritarian.

Not that you'll change my opinion or I'll change yours, so let's leave it at that.

shikamaru317 said:

Glad he was confirmed, the whole sexual assault thing was nothing but a desperate 11th hour delay tactic by the Democrats.

Stay safe if you live in a big city, especially DC, I fear these protests might turn to riots.

I'm in the Chicagoland area and just glad I'm not living in the city itself right now. We're an EXTREMELY liberal and passionate city, not quite LA level but close. I got a buddy who's living in Chi Town and he's been hearing protests on the constant lately (I think some of it's worker strikes but still), from his work to his apartment. Would drive me nuts..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

When the Democrats gain power they should just stack the court.

NightlyPoe said:
the-pi-guy said:

-He lied about the drinking age in Maryland.

Actually, it was true for most of the time he was in high school, it only changed when he himself became a senior.  He may have simply forgotten that.  But he never said that he didn't drink until he turned 18 (which would have only been a few months before his graduation).  Only that the seniors could do it legally because of the low drinking age.

-He claimed that Ford's witnesses said the event didn't happen.  That's false.

Ford's friend said that she doesn't remember any event like that and doesn't know Kavanaugh at all.  This is a distinction without a difference, not a lie.

-He claimed that an event like the one described by Ford never happened, even though his calendar lists such an event.

The July 1 date that you're describing happened miles away in a building unlike the one Ford described.  It is basically an internet rumor.  And just to completely spike it, her legal team admitted that that it couldn't be the date because it would have included people she would remember.

-He claimed that boofing referred to flatulence.

And people have confirmed that it was slang for flatulence at his school.

-He claimed that the devil's triangle refers to a drinking game.  

And people have confirmed that it is a drinking game, including people at Yale who say he taught it to them.

Slang is ever-changing, so trying to pin down a precise meaning for something to within a specific school is impossible.

I was about to come in a debunk this but you got it covered Poe. Pretty much everything you just said. 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

the-pi-guy said:
NightlyPoe said:

Despite the constant drumbeat, there's been no evidence that Kavanaugh lied about anything.

-He lied about the drinking age in Maryland.

-He claimed that Ford's witnesses said the event didn't happen.  That's false.

-He claimed that an event like the one described by Ford never happened, even though his calendar lists such an event.

-He claimed that boofing referred to flatulence.

-He claimed that the devil's triangle refers to a drinking game.  

You guys ever tire of reaching.

The limit was changed the exact year they said this took place. Maybe he was unaware. Or remembering incorrectly. You know the thing you give Ford too much of a pass on. 

Actually, Ford's best friend did state that initially. But, thanks to pressure from a Miss McClean she was compelled to "clarify" her statement. I don't know why you think he lied. He read her statement out loud at the hearing.

It didn't. She described a party near the clubhouse that took place in a two-story house. The event in the calendar happened at a townhouse 11 miles away.

As for the last two, at least 4 of his buddies from school backed him on those definitions. Unless you were actually there and would like to refute that? 

poklane said:
When the Democrats gain power they should just stack the court.

There's no guarantee that any vacancies will come up whenever the Democrats next control the White House. Plus, realistically a president only has their first two years to nominate a Supreme Court justice, since they almost always lose control of congress after that (the only president in recent times not to do so, believe it or not, was George W. Bush).

Aura7541 said:
dharh said:

Vote.

And how will the Democrats get the votes needed to win?

Got me.. They're sure not winning people over with their tantrums, character assassinations (ie "Susan Collins is a rape apologist!!!1") and hatred born of a mob mentality.

Events like this make it more clear why myself and many others #Walkaway.

These guys are endangering themselves of becoming not just a minority party but a small, insignificant one at this rate if they keep it up.

Dems need to return to level-headed debate and and temperament. drop the Victimhood Cult, extremism, and outrage, and get back to the issues of the middle/working class. THEN they'll start winning people back, maybe even myself. But I don't see that happening in my lifetime at this point. Unfortunately for them, there are two small parties that DO focus more on the real issues and are more in touch (Green and Libertarian) that I'm sure would be more than willing and able to step in and fill the void left by the increasingly nutty Democrats.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden