By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSX not happening this year

Seems like PS5 is set to be announced next E3 then, if not at a different event slightly earlier in the year. 2019 could be a very exciting year for games.

Around the Network

Said this on Discord but I'll repost it here:

PS4 spent the first half of its life with crazy announcements and nothing to show for it, now it spends the last half of it's life with boring announcements but plenty to show lineup-wise

To me, that means the PS4 playtime is better now than ever. 

shikamaru317 said:

Definitely seems like PS5 is right around the corner then. They wouldn't skip Paris Games Week and PSX this year unless they had no games to announce, and if they have no games to announce it's because they've already announced all of the remaining PS4 games (Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU 2, Death Stranding, Concrete Genie, Dreams, etc.) and are concentrating on developing PS5 games now, and they don't want to spoil those PS5 games before PS5 itself is announced. PS5 Holiday 2019 release is my guess after this news.

Hold on, they’re not doing PGW either???

Sony has way too many exclusives in the works right now to launch a PS5 in 2019. We've got Ghost of Tushima, TLoU2, Dreams, Death Stranding, and Days Gone. All of these games are confirmed to be PS4 games. Do you think they will be all be ready by 2019? No. Two or three will get delayed until the first 1/3rd of 2020. Releasing a PS5 Holiday 2020 is their best bet. That way they get the most bang for their $400 to $500 bucks, and they will need it since RTX 2080 Ti just came out, with RayTracing abilities.

Also, Sony doesn't really need a system seller for Holiday 2020 for PS5. It will be sold out, and outsell any competition solely on the brand alone.

Miyamotoo said:
No PSX in 2018. and "now that we have Spider-Man out the door, we're looking down into 2019 games like Dreams and Days Gone",
sound like Sony is definitely start focusing on PS5.

Exactly what I'm thinking. 

Around the Network

Shu said that there are still a few PS4 exclusives still unannounced. So I just don't see a scenario where PS5 will launch in 2019.

This is what I predict their schedule to be:

Days Gone: February 22, 2019

Dreams, medievil remake: Q2 2019

Death Stranding: Q3 2019

Ghost of Tsushima: Q1 2020

TLOU II, Ratchet and Clank Sequel: Q2 2020

Bluepoint Remake: Q3 2020

Gran Turismo 7: Q4 2020 (cross-gen w/ PS5)

pitzy272 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Definitely seems like PS5 is right around the corner then. They wouldn't skip Paris Games Week and PSX this year unless they had no games to announce, and if they have no games to announce it's because they've already announced all of the remaining PS4 games (Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU 2, Death Stranding, Concrete Genie, Dreams, etc.) and are concentrating on developing PS5 games now, and they don't want to spoil those PS5 games before PS5 itself is announced. PS5 Holiday 2019 release is my guess after this news.

Hold on, they’re not doing PGW either???

They are going to have their booth and all for atendees to play games and all, but no conference like there was last year.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Wonder if X018 has anything to do with it? If PS doesn't feel like they can compete with MS on these late events held by themselves, they don't want more comparisons about how their platform is worse than XB. They have made sure recently to address negative feedback and give the gaming community what it wants. Retro hardware and games, cross accounts, cross play, and apparently gamer tag changes soon enough. The last thing they want is people pointing out how much better the X018 event was compared to PSX, if PS feels that's very well a possibility. Just look at the E3 'who won' controversy.

With all the pro consumer goodness PS is pumping out in the second half of this year, especially recently, it's sure suspect of whether or not PS is letting games pile up for a big showing of new hardware. If that new hardware is next gen, then you want to make sure you have plenty of games in general to show, but a tonne of first party exclusives to set the tone from the get go, that PS is the ecosystem where you will get the most, highest quality, first party titles. Everyday the gap is slowly closing between PS4 and XB1 in terms of what differentiates them from each other, so making exclusives the focal point makes all the sense in the world for a PS next gen event.

My guess, new PS hardware for late 2019, maybe early 2020. Whatever games are available for that hardware (PS5?) will also be available for PS4 (Pro?), so announcing and launching it 'early' won't be a problem. Just because a bunch of those titles have been labelled as PS4 exclusives, doesn't mean anything if the new hardware is called PS4 'something'. The Last of Us was also a PS3 exclusive, and yet it made it to PS4 so...

This is bumming news, but at the same time, it kind of makes sense. No doubt they’ve got more PS4 games in the pipeline, but since we’re not going to see games like TLoU2, Death Stranding, or Ghost, until mid-late 2019, it doesn’t make much sense to announce more games just yet. No doubt we’ll still get one or two new announcements at PGW, but no need to clutter the upcoming games pipeline.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Seeing how the PS5 will likely be here holiday 2020, it makes sense that next year will show off gameplay on the PS4 games we know about and the PSX next year will reveal the PS5.

With that in mind, they have nothing left to show this year so it makes sense.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

All aboard the PS5 hype train. Next gen is right around the corner.