By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why was FFVIII left behind??

KungKras said:
Final Fantasy 7 brought Final Fantasy mania to the world.
Final Fantasy 8 killed Final Fantasy Mania, weirded everyone out, and put the series on a declining trajectory.

SE probably doesn't want to remind anyone of its existence. At least that would be my motivation if I was SE :P

That's really silly. FF8 was actually one of the most popular in the franchise, and the franchise was still incredibly popular when X hit. It was around FF12 where the hype for the series began to die down, and while 13 sold better than 12, it didn't reach the heights of FF7, 8, and X.

The most likely reason is that next year is the 20th anniversary, and it makes more sense to announce it then rather than now.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
KungKras said:
Final Fantasy 7 brought Final Fantasy mania to the world.
Final Fantasy 8 killed Final Fantasy Mania, weirded everyone out, and put the series on a declining trajectory.

SE probably doesn't want to remind anyone of its existence. At least that would be my motivation if I was SE :P

That's really silly. FF8 was actually one of the most popular in the franchise, and the franchise was still incredibly popular when X hit. It was around FF12 where the hype for the series began to die down, and while 13 sold better than 12, it didn't reach the heights of FF7, 8, and X.

The most likely reason is that next year is the 20th anniversary, and it makes more sense to announce it then rather than now.

It sold less than 7 when 7 made the franchise into a rising star. If it had been good for real it would have surpassed 7.

To see my point. Compare FF8 to Star Wars The Last Jedi.

The Last Jedi didn't do that badly sales-wise because people didn't predict that the movie would dissapoint them. The impact came later (and will be felt with SW9). FF8 was to FF what TLJ is to Star Wars.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
Jumpin said:

It sold less than 7 when 7 made the franchise into a rising star. If it had been good for real it would have surpassed 7.

To see my point. Compare FF8 to Star Wars The Last Jedi.

The Last Jedi didn't do that badly sales-wise because people didn't predict that the movie would dissapoint them. The impact came later (and will be felt with SW9). FF8 was to FF what TLJ is to Star Wars.

In that case, how do you feel about Empire Strikes Back?

I guess that guy saw the error of his logic =D

I think that game is almost certain to be announced at some point next year for the 20th anniversary.

It is still one of Square's most valuable properties - and if they do something a little more than a simple port... perhaps an HD update... it will pay off. Regardless of any other possible reason Square is holding it back, they'll make it happen: Final Fantasy 8 is still the second best selling Final Fantasy game ever - and its only port is the second best-selling Steam re-release ever. In fact, the only Final Fantasy re-release on a single platform (which is not FF7) that has sold better than the Steam re-release is the heavily marketed Final Fantasy 12: Zodiac Age on PS4. In 2013 when it released, the FFX&X-2 HD remaster also released on Steam, and FF8 has outsold it by 130,000 units.

I can't see Square letting this one rest. Especially if the FF7 and 9 re-releases do well... Because the FF8 Steam re-release doubled the sales of the FF9 Steam re-release. I think Square knows this is probably their biggest non-FF7 catalogue property and they're doing something a little more special than a simple re-release.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 26 September 2018