By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why was FFVIII left behind??

routsounmanman said:
Some people argue that that might be due to them having issues due to copyrights for "Eyes On Me". Shame though, it is my favourite of the 3D FF games, after IX.

Square should just pay up, they'll make your money back in no time!!

Around the Network

It's actually possible they don't have the source code anymore. Not sure what they used for FF VII ports; If they're using the PSX version converted to PS4/Steam or if they hacked the PC version to run on steam and made a fresh copy for PS4 from the PSX version. If they're using the PC version as the base for FFVII, then I'm sure they don't have the source code for FFVIII cause they're hacking the PC version to run on Steam. Not sure if the PSX code exists still or not.

darkknightkryta said:
It's actually possible they don't have the source code anymore. Not sure what they used for FF VII ports; If they're using the PSX version converted to PS4/Steam or if they hacked the PC version to run on steam and made a fresh copy for PS4 from the PSX version. If they're using the PC version as the base for FFVII, then I'm sure they don't have the source code for FFVIII cause they're hacking the PC version to run on Steam. Not sure if the PSX code exists still or not.

Steam version is an adjusted version of the PC version so they still have the source code it's very likely just down to the copyright issue as VIII is the only FF to not even be remastered in anyway.

FF8 is also my favourite in the whole franchise, like FF7 before it, it really opened up the vision of what an RPG could be with such a beautiful world and breaking the mould with an extensive crafting system for magic and weapons, worldwide mini games, and side-dialogue (such as Selphie’s Blog... made years before blogging was ever a thing) that gave different perspectives on everything happening, then you had Garden as your HUB which would evolve based on the story and different tasks you’d do.

Final Fantasy 8 is one of my favourite games of all time... though 7 is fairly close behind =)

There is also Xenogears, which I liked even more than Final Fantasy 8 (and any Final Fantasy), Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6 and Tactics which didn’t make the cut. Though I think it has more to do with what Square has ready, and expect all these games in the future.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Wyrdness said:
darkknightkryta said:

Steam version is an adjusted version of the PC version so they still have the source code it's very likely just down to the copyright issue as VIII is the only FF to not even be remastered in anyway.

People have been hacking the PC version for years.  Square just released the PC version with these hacks to get it running on today's hardware.  I don't think they have the source code.  Plus EA handled the PC version vs Ubisoft for FFVII.  I don't know if the source code was kept.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
darkknightkryta said:

They released it on PSN for PS3, PSP and Vita so that isn't an issue.

Those games are running on emulators...

Hiku said:
routsounmanman said:
Some people argue that that might be due to them having issues due to copyrights for "Eyes On Me". Shame though, it is my favourite of the 3D FF games, after IX.

siebensus4 said:
It's my favourite, too! I think there are legal issues with the title track "Eyes on me". That should be the reason why a mobile port doesn't exist either.

What I don't understand: this song was composed by Uematsu, but was obviously first released on Faye Wong's album. Strange.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/77000060

Wyrdness said:

The game released on Steam in 2013 with “Eyes on Me” intact, based on the original PC version. And the game is still sold on the PS3 PSN store, etc.

The idea that it’s a copyright issue seems baseless. When liscenses expire, games get pulled from the stores. Regardless of whether they are the original versions or remasters. Capcom for ex were not allowed to even sell the original Marvel vs Capcom 3 in any online store once their liscense expired, so it was removed from all stores.

I did not think it was strange for FF8 to not get a Remastered version yet because there hasn’t been a consistent pattern with which game Square chose to remaster/remake. But they have been releasing them fairly consistently, even if the order of which games they’ve remasterd have been somewhat jumbled. It’s not yet clear to me that they’ve been avoiding FFVIII, but it’s getting close to that point now, as FF9 got an HD release last year, and FF12 got an HD Remaster this year.

As for whether or not they have the source code for the game, I’m not sure. But I hear they usually don’t for older games. And you can re-release them based on just the ROM. But whatever they did to give FF9 the HD treatment, they should be able to do with FF8. Even if it’s reverse engineering a ROM of the game like they did with Kingdom Hearts.

The steam version is essentially the same version with some adjustments on the same platform PC, the PSN versions are redistributed emulated PS1 titles these aren't new ports on new platforms they're repackaging of the same initial release, this is the debate on the legal issue because the copyright belongs to another entity possibly EMI, the agreement they had for the song may allow the initial release to be redistributed but in order to do other versions they'd likely have to renegotiate with the copyright owners and the owners likely would want a good chunk of the pie.

twintail said:
ZODIARKrebirth said:

FFVII, FFIX, FFX,...what's the reason of Square Enix to not include FFVIII? were there any statements from SE about the reason? i find it a little strange, for me it's still one of the best games...

its not available on mobile, steam or PS4.  So it hasnt even been ported yet. Maybe at PSX we get the port announcement. 

maybe, or they have even some bigger plans for this game, i can dream...😉

darkknightkryta said:

Huh? Why on earth would they not have the source code of their own game anymore?

twintail said:
ZODIARKrebirth said:

maybe, or they have even some bigger plans for this game, i can dream...😉

Hey now, I'm totally down for that

let's see, maybe SE has still some surprise for tgs