By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Update: Latest rumor shows casting for a white Ciri | Original: Netflix looking for non-white actress to play Ciri in the Witcher tv series

I’m black and think this is a bad idea. Just doesn’t fit. But what if it’s not even that? The OP is telling us this but we don’t even know for sure. But these angry folks need to be honest with themselves are just say that any minority characters piss them off. Stop pretending like it’s just changing of whites to non-whites that anger you. One even says “go woke, go broke”, meaning if you try to make a diverse cast they can’t watch. I wonder if this means they walk around society with their eyes closed in order to not see how diverse the real world is?

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Around the Network

I don't know anything about the Witcher series/franchise/IP what-have-you, but in a fantasy universe I feel like there's room for flexibility if it's done for a reason.

What I do find a bit irritating though, is that Netflix isn't looking to hire someone of a certain race, but rather someone who ISN'T of a certain other race. To me, that says that they haven't even conceived a plot direction for the character's new race in the first place, and are simply hiring to fill a quota. When I read things like this I just imagine a bunch rich people drinking wine while reading market trends, ignorant to why this sort of thing is important in the first place.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

FentonCrackshell said:
I’m black and think this is a bad idea. Just doesn’t fit. But what if it’s not even that? The OP is telling us this but we don’t even know for sure. But these angry folks need to be honest with themselves are just say that any minority characters piss them off. Stop pretending like it’s just changing of whites to non-whites that anger you. One even says “go woke, go broke”, meaning if you try to make a diverse cast they can’t watch. I wonder if this means they walk around society with their eyes closed in order to not see how diverse the real world is?

I think you're missing the point here, it's really not about having a diverse cast by itself, it's about taking an established character with very specific features (whose lineage is kind of a big deal in the lore) and superimposing a different racial make up to that said character.

From what I see it's the deliberate choice to exclude white actresses from playing a character that in the books and game is pretty much as white as can be. It would at least keep the appearance of fairness to not deliberately exclude white actresses from applying to that role, even if in the end they decided to pick a non-white actress.

I'm 99% sure these same people would be pissed if they decided to cast Blade as a white guy or Light (Death note) as a white guy as well (yet the last one actually happened and I couldn't force myself to even watch that train wreck).

From my personal take I would love to see different stories told, with new characters of whatever racial diversity the authors want to make them, I just don't get why directors feel the need to hijack an established character and then change them for no apparent reason. 

melbye said:
Kinda discriminatory to exclude white actresses from the casting-process, especially when the character is supposed to be white

Could led to a fairly eas-to-win lawsuit because of that.

Super_Boom said:
I don't know anything about the Witcher series/franchise/IP what-have-you, but in a fantasy universe I feel like there's room for flexibility if it's done for a reason.

What I do find a bit irritating though, is that Netflix isn't looking to hire someone of a certain race, but rather someone who ISN'T of a certain other race. To me, that says that they haven't even conceived a plot direction for the character's new race in the first place, and are simply hiring to fill a quota. When I read things like this I just imagine a bunch rich people drinking wine while reading market trends, ignorant to why this sort of thing is important in the first place.

I don't have any problem with casting a person of whatever color in this role.  But, I agree with you that specifically trying to get a non-white actress is pretty tacky.  

Around the Network

I think it's nonsense. I don't have issues usually with those things, but when it comes to movies/series based on books, it should follow the narrative. Especially for main characters. On the other hand I see those issues of European fantasy worlds, which include minorities only as foreign nations far away. But those are also cultural differences. In British and French literature, it's a lot more common. But those have been colonial power houses. The majority of the world isn't white skinned (less than 1 billion). From my point of view there are dozens of nations, that are able to produce shows without white skinned people, if it bothers them so much and millions of authors writing books, that doesn't need to be modified for minorities within certain nations. Personally I love anime, bollywood, hollywood and almost all other kinds of productions around the world.

The crucial thing is, if you take a book or story from a certain area for example everyone in a few European nations knows the Krabat legend and book. A decade ago, they made a terrible film, but minorities wouldn't improve the result in any way. Oh and if anyone from Netflix might read this, this a a perfect story for a fantasy thriller tv series. Just saying.

Well, movies from games usually suck anyway, so why wasting time on accuracy when you can get easy and cheap political correctness instead?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

When does it stop. WHEN.

JRPGfan said:
HandofPrometheus said:

I'm black and love any representation I can get in the fantasy genre but can I just get an established black character instead? I would love to see an original black witcher or an original black sorceress. Hell if you want you can write them as the "odd man out" and play around with that.

You need to Read Steven Erickson's - Malazan Book of the Fallen.
Its High Fantasy, and features tons of kickass characters (alot of them black).

HBO need to get their hands on that IP, and start makeing that a new tv series, like Game of Throne's was once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen

http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Ben_Adaephon_Delat
http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Kalam_Mekhar

and a handfull of others, but the above ones are really kickass and play key roles.

Thank you for the recommendation! I stalk around the fantasy subreddit and see this series talked about a lot but never looked into it. I have a lot of books to catch up on but I'll put this on my "to read" list. Both those characters look badass!

Seems abit odd