By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Update: Latest rumor shows casting for a white Ciri | Original: Netflix looking for non-white actress to play Ciri in the Witcher tv series

That's dumb as hell. It just won't seem like the same character.

I'm not giving money to anything that pushes this kind of far-left extremist nonsense. If you don't think there are enough minority women on TV, well then make shows that have more of them. Don't change existing things. Guess I won't be watching this.

The only thing that might work is a half asian half white actress. Someone like Shannon Lee (Bruce Lee's daughter) was mixed race but looked more or less white. But of course then that would annoy the diversity police cos they'd just consider them white.

Around the Network
HandofPrometheus said:

I'm black and love any representation I can get in the fantasy genre but can I just get an established black character instead? I would love to see an original black witcher or an original black sorceress. Hell if you want you can write them as the "odd man out" and play around with that.

Exactly. They could've just inserted a new black character into the story and most people wouldn't have cared. Changing an existing one is insulting and will make it feel heavily disconnected from the source material (which is the only reason it's popular)

barneystinson69 said:
I'm more interested in the fact they are filming in Budapest. Wonder if they'll venture into the shitty areas there.

What you mean by this? 

TranceformerFX said:
.............. but isn't Ciri Caucasian in the video game...? I guess staying true to source material isn't as important as filling a minority quota.

You know what, why stop there? Fire Henry Caville and give the role of Geralt to a transgender Black midget. If you're gonna pull this crap, show your colors and intentions and go all the way. Don't be shy - put the pedal to the metal and go all the way. Be sure the director is a woman who is a feminist and has a MINIMUM of 2,000 #MeToo hashtags to display her qualifications. Be sure to give her bonus SJW points if she has purple dyed hair. Oh and DONT FORGET to nominate Caitlyn Jenner for an Emmy - regardless if she's in the show or not.

The video games aren't technically cannon, the series is originally books. And Ciri is white with pale skin and white hair. Her looks are important somewhat to her identity, and there is no reason they shouldn't stay true to the source material. This is just some fucked up bullshit from SJW's. I am losing all hope this is staying cannon and true to the Witcher since they are being PC with the cast. The Witcher in is essence deals with a lot of racial and social issues in a very interesting say since it incorporates fantasy, magic, monsters and many other sentient beings, like vampires and elf's. But if they want the cast to be PC then the script and writing will surely follow suit. 

shikamaru317 said:

In case you were wondering, BAME stands for Black, Asian, or Minority Ethnic in the UK.

Why do SJW's have to ruin everything with this forced diversity nonsense? There is literally no reason for Ciri to be anything other than White, she is the daughter of Emhyr var Emreis, who is shown to be white, and through her mother, Pavetta Fionna Elen, she is a 3rd generation descendant of Skellige blood, Skelligens being based on real life Scandinavians.

Why does there need to be a racially diverse main cast in everything, even in series where it doesn't make sense? Can't they just have a few side characters who are minorities? Why is that not good enough, when there are plenty of other series with diverse main casts?

I agree, this literally ruins cannon because the lineage in the Witcher is extremely important. And just making a character black will change the cannon of the game dramatically. The lore, world and continent of the Witcher will be changed, or won't be as detailed. 

However if I remember correctly in the books Citi isn't the daughter of emhyr in the books. But still the same issue stands

Around the Network

Kinda discriminatory to exclude white actresses from the casting-process, especially when the character is supposed to be white

Just a reminder that if skin tone/race isn't a factor in your fantasy story that it doesn't matter who you cast for which role.
Usually, and this is the case for The Witcher as well, fictional races overrule real-life one.
If Ciri were to be an elf, or a dwarf, or a troll, it would matter a great deal more to the story than whoever is cast to play her.
We're just used to making problems up about this, because it's still unusual for a role seen as "white" to go to a minority person; however in most fiction, it doesn't make a difference.

When you start casting, to avoid bias you preemptively decide some roles to assign to BAME actors.
This prevents:
a) roles going to white people by default (which is what normally happens due to star power, more likely better agent influence, casters own biases etc.)
b) here, that you cast someone good at cosplaying Ciri rather than playing her

shikamaru317 said:

The good news is that the showrunner, Lauren Hissrich, is being bombarded by negative feedback after this news broke. Her latest tweet is filled with people asking her to change her mind and open up the casting to white actresses, including alot of people asking her to cast a Polish actress for Ciri. Multiple people have tweeted her this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/9e0wa6/im_polish_and_heres_why_i_think_that_changing/

If Lauren doesn't change her mind after seeing all this backlash then she is truly an idiot. I had high hopes when she was first announced as showrunner, because she said she would be faithful to the books. The books literally describe Ciri as having pale, ashen skin...

I'm not following extensively what's been going on with the show, is there any backlash about Henry Cavill?

I was expecting for Netflix to use some serious cash and get either of these two:

Mads Mikkelsen

or

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

shikamaru317 said:

There was some backlash, but nowhere near the amount that BAME Ciri is getting. And what backlash there was mostly died down once Lauren announced that Henry was chosen because he is a fan of the Witcher series and knows Geralt very well. Apparently he was among the first people that auditioned, and even after 4 months of auditions he was still her favorite. 

Yeah, I know Henry's a fan and loves Witcher - he seems like a nice guy, I just don't think he's a good fit, either when it comes to looks or his acting skills - well, hopefully, at least makeup can do the trick with former...

i dont sub to netflix anyways. wouldnt watch it anyways, so meh they can be racist about whatever. it should be CG anyways.