By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies Discussion - Update: Latest rumor shows casting for a white Ciri | Original: Netflix looking for non-white actress to play Ciri in the Witcher tv series

Idiots.
Not surprised one bit tough, casting that pretty boy Henry Cavill as Geralt raised some major red flags about where they're heading with the show.

Around the Network
Otter said:
Aeolus451 said:
If that's true, it's going to piss off alot of witcher fans. Instead of trying to be true to the IP and tell the story the fans want, let's hijack this and tell a progressive story. This is gonna hurt netflix's reputation.

No one will care in the greater scheme of things. 

The Witcher has alot of fans. It's a popular book series that was made even more popular from the console game. Netflix is becoming increasingly woke in the content they produce and as a company. Each year more competition joins the streaming service market and existing streaming services improve. Eventually, people in mass will go elsewhere. The last straw could be a tweet, a interview or another movie of a popular IP that shits all over the fans.

.............. but isn't Ciri Caucasian in the video game...? I guess staying true to source material isn't as important as filling a minority quota.

You know what, why stop there? Fire Henry Caville and give the role of Geralt to a transgender Black midget. If you're gonna pull this crap, show your colors and intentions and go all the way. Don't be shy - put the pedal to the metal and go all the way. Be sure the director is a woman who is a feminist and has a MINIMUM of 2,000 #MeToo hashtags to display her qualifications. Be sure to give her bonus SJW points if she has purple dyed hair. Oh and DONT FORGET to nominate Caitlyn Jenner for an Emmy - regardless if she's in the show or not.

That's dumb as hell. It just won't seem like the same character.

I'm not giving money to anything that pushes this kind of far-left extremist nonsense. If you don't think there are enough minority women on TV, well then make shows that have more of them. Don't change existing things. Guess I won't be watching this.

The only thing that might work is a half asian half white actress. Someone like Shannon Lee (Bruce Lee's daughter) was mixed race but looked more or less white. But of course then that would annoy the diversity police cos they'd just consider them white.

HandofPrometheus said:

I'm black and love any representation I can get in the fantasy genre but can I just get an established black character instead? I would love to see an original black witcher or an original black sorceress. Hell if you want you can write them as the "odd man out" and play around with that.

Exactly. They could've just inserted a new black character into the story and most people wouldn't have cared. Changing an existing one is insulting and will make it feel heavily disconnected from the source material (which is the only reason it's popular)

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
I'm more interested in the fact they are filming in Budapest. Wonder if they'll venture into the shitty areas there.

What you mean by this? 

TranceformerFX said:
.............. but isn't Ciri Caucasian in the video game...? I guess staying true to source material isn't as important as filling a minority quota.

You know what, why stop there? Fire Henry Caville and give the role of Geralt to a transgender Black midget. If you're gonna pull this crap, show your colors and intentions and go all the way. Don't be shy - put the pedal to the metal and go all the way. Be sure the director is a woman who is a feminist and has a MINIMUM of 2,000 #MeToo hashtags to display her qualifications. Be sure to give her bonus SJW points if she has purple dyed hair. Oh and DONT FORGET to nominate Caitlyn Jenner for an Emmy - regardless if she's in the show or not.

The video games aren't technically cannon, the series is originally books. And Ciri is white with pale skin and white hair. Her looks are important somewhat to her identity, and there is no reason they shouldn't stay true to the source material. This is just some fucked up bullshit from SJW's. I am losing all hope this is staying cannon and true to the Witcher since they are being PC with the cast. The Witcher in is essence deals with a lot of racial and social issues in a very interesting say since it incorporates fantasy, magic, monsters and many other sentient beings, like vampires and elf's. But if they want the cast to be PC then the script and writing will surely follow suit. 

shikamaru317 said:

In case you were wondering, BAME stands for Black, Asian, or Minority Ethnic in the UK.

Why do SJW's have to ruin everything with this forced diversity nonsense? There is literally no reason for Ciri to be anything other than White, she is the daughter of Emhyr var Emreis, who is shown to be white, and through her mother, Pavetta Fionna Elen, she is a 3rd generation descendant of Skellige blood, Skelligens being based on real life Scandinavians.

Why does there need to be a racially diverse main cast in everything, even in series where it doesn't make sense? Can't they just have a few side characters who are minorities? Why is that not good enough, when there are plenty of other series with diverse main casts?

I agree, this literally ruins cannon because the lineage in the Witcher is extremely important. And just making a character black will change the cannon of the game dramatically. The lore, world and continent of the Witcher will be changed, or won't be as detailed. 

However if I remember correctly in the books Citi isn't the daughter of emhyr in the books. But still the same issue stands

SecondWar said:
shikamaru317 said:

In case you were wondering, BAME stands for Black, Asian, or Minority Ethnic in the UK.

Why do SJW's have to ruin everything with this forced diversity nonsense? There is literally no reason for Ciri to be anything other than White, she is the daughter of Emhyr var Emreis, who is shown to be white, and through her mother, Pavetta Fionna Elen, she is a 3rd generation descendant of Skellige blood, Skelligens being based on real life Scandinavians.

Why does there need to be a racially diverse main cast in everything, even in series where it doesn't make sense? Can't they just have a few side characters who are minorities? Why is that not good enough, when there are plenty of other series with diverse main casts?

So basically - why cant they be off to the side, hidden where I don't need to see or acknowledge them?

I think you've answered your own question.

Nice job focusing on just 1 thing I said and twisting my words. The fact is that the world of the Witcher is based primarily on medieval Europe, so a predominantly white racial makeup makes sense for the world. There are some people with darker skin tones, towards the south of the Witcher world as I recall (where there is some desert), but they are rare in the sections of the world that the Witcher stories actually take place in. The author chose to represent racism against Dwarves, Elves, and other minority species instead of racism based on skin tone. They are changing the lore of the world to suit a modern political agenda, and that is not cool with me and alot of other Witcher fans. Simple fact of the matter is that none of the main characters in the Witcher are dark skinned, so they decided to rewrite one of the main characters as being dark skinned instead of creating some original main/recurring characters that are dark skinned or only having background characters that are dark skinned. 

Ciri is half Nilfgaardian, 3/8ths Cintran, and 1/8th Skelligen as I recall. Skelligen's and Cintran's are both white for sure, Skelligens in particular are based on real world Scandinavians, which is why they call their leaders Jarls. I could maybe see them interpreting her Nilfgaard blood as being darker skinned, since part of the Nilfgaard empire is desert, but even then they should only be looking for a mixed race white/Arabic actress. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 08 September 2018

Kinda discriminatory to exclude white actresses from the casting-process, especially when the character is supposed to be white

Nothing to see here, move along