By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dead Cells on Switch is outselling the PS4 by a factor of 4 to 1

We don’t need to look farther than how new release and coming soon are presented on the eShop vs Live and PSN, indies are not treated differently than other games which is helping their visibility.

Around the Network

Not surprised. Ever since AAA games started to come on ps4, I haven't touched an indie game. Don't even remember which game was the last game I played.

Mandalore76 said:
HintHRO said:

Eh, of course the Switch version outsells the PS4 version. PS4 just got two amazing exclusives (Dragon Quest and Spiderman and a lot of quality games on sale right now) while Switch is starving for new big games.

Dragon Quest is not a PS4 exclusive.

For people living in America, Europe and Australia it is a PS4 exclusive. They will only find the PS4 version in stores. And yeah... the Switch version... lmao. Is that even still a thing? 

Jranation said:
HintHRO said:

Eh, of course the Switch version outsells the PS4 version. PS4 just got two amazing exclusives (Dragon Quest and Spiderman and a lot of quality games on sale right now) while Switch is starving for new big games.

It doesnt work like that. If they are hungry for games. They can buy the other 1st, 2nd, or 3rd party games. 

This is a matter of competition. Dead Cells on PS4 suffers from heavy competition. You won't even see it in the PS Store. Dead Cells on Switch is only one of the few games that shines on the console right now. 

HintHRO said:
Mandalore76 said:

Dragon Quest is not a PS4 exclusive.

For people living in America, Europe and Australia it is a PS4 exclusive. They will only find the PS4 version in stores. And yeah... the Switch version... lmao. Is that even still a thing? 

All I know is if Microsoft labeled a game in that situation as an Xbox One exclusive, they would be crucified on this site for being misleading or abusing the term.

Around the Network

There's probably more non-Nintendo fans and Nintendo-hating people replying to this thread than actual Nintendo fans.

Last edited by wombat123 - on 07 September 2018

RaptorChrist said:
That's pretty incredible, considering the Switch version of Dead Cells is actually $5 more expensive (for the physical version; haven't checked digital) than the PS4 version. It doesn't come as a surprise that the Switch version is performing better, but I would not have guessed a 4:1 ratio; that's nuts.

Yea it's crazy when you also consider install base. PS4 has a 4:1 ration in that. So lets use some BS sales numbers of Dead Cells sold.

Switch: 400k
PS4: 100K

Put that up against install base and you have

Switch: 400,000/20,000,000 = 2% of Switch owners purchased the game

PS4: 100,000/80,000,000 = 0.125% of PS4 owners purchased the game

The attach rate on the Switch is 16x higher than on the PS4.

These comparisons don't really make sense in today's landscape. EA doesn't come out and say 'Fifa 2018 sold 15x more on PS4 than switch', it's irrelevant due to the circumstances as to why a Fifa game would sell on the Switch than on PS4. The same goes for Dead Cells, a 2018 indie game is going to have different exposure between the systems and since a large majority of PS4 owners already own a Switch (70% according to NPD for the US), double dipping wouldn't make sense.

adisababa said:

Not like the Switch userbase has many games to choose from this year. I don't know it's almost crazy to think that the PS4 has a lot more high profile games this year than the Switch, I mean Dead Cells released just a few weeks after God of War.

I don't know how and why this warrants a thread, would the PS4 userbase be more likely to buy God of War and Far Cry 5? or would they want a 2D platformer indie game? Hint: it's not the indie game.

The Switch has no games this year, that's a fact. All they have going for them is Smash to finish of the year and to hide themselves from having nothing to show their consumer base, otherwise, it's been a drought.

User Warned By ~ PwerlvlAmy

I wonder why adisababa has been warned. Is there anything offensive on that post that I'm missing?

PS: Sorry if it's against the rules asking that, but when I don't get why someone was warned/banned I don't learn anything about what I should avoid to do here.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
adisababa said:

Not like the Switch userbase has many games to choose from this year. I don't know it's almost crazy to think that the PS4 has a lot more high profile games this year than the Switch, I mean Dead Cells released just a few weeks after God of War.

I don't know how and why this warrants a thread, would the PS4 userbase be more likely to buy God of War and Far Cry 5? or would they want a 2D platformer indie game? Hint: it's not the indie game.

The Switch has no games this year, that's a fact. All they have going for them is Smash to finish of the year and to hide themselves from having nothing to show their consumer base, otherwise, it's been a drought.

User Warned By ~ PwerlvlAmy

I wonder why adisababa has been warned. Is there anything offensive on that post that I'm missing?

PS: Sorry if it's against the rules asking that, but when I don't get why someone was warned/banned I don't learn anything about what I should avoid to do here.

It appears to me as though he was trolling. His last paragraph serves no purpose to the discussion and the only reason he said that was to upset people. It's a little embarrassing.

Amy let him off easy.