By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dead Cells on Switch is outselling the PS4 by a factor of 4 to 1

areason said:
OTBWY said:

Factually wrong. But nice narrative goalpost. indies just sell better on Switch because the installbase cares more. Simple as that. It would sell like this even with 20 triple A titles getting released on Switch and 0 on PS4 in the same month. Interest is what matters. Let's not make excuses.

Did you think that was a fact?

Name me 1 big game coming on Switch other then Smash Bros this holiday season. 

Oh you know, a little game called Pokemon? No? How about Civilization VI? Not that good either? Diablo 3? Nah, all just small indie stuff.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
I thought we were done with the "switch has no gamez" narrative, but looks like I was wrong...

Same thing as PS4 has no gamez. I guess when a console has no gamez on these boards then they become a really successful console.

0D0 said:
adisababa said:

Not like the Switch userbase has many games to choose from this year. I don't know it's almost crazy to think that the PS4 has a lot more high profile games this year than the Switch, I mean Dead Cells released just a few weeks after God of War.

I don't know how and why this warrants a thread, would the PS4 userbase be more likely to buy God of War and Far Cry 5? or would they want a 2D platformer indie game? Hint: it's not the indie game.

The Switch has no games this year, that's a fact. All they have going for them is Smash to finish of the year and to hide themselves from having nothing to show their consumer base, otherwise, it's been a drought.

User Warned By ~ PwerlvlAmy

I wonder why adisababa has been warned. Is there anything offensive on that post that I'm missing?

PS: Sorry if it's against the rules asking that, but when I don't get why someone was warned/banned I don't learn anything about what I should avoid to do here.

If you look on the Software charts on the homepage. You can see that he is completely wrong.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Slownenberg said:
adisababa said:

Not like the Switch userbase has many games to choose from this year. I don't know it's almost crazy to think that the PS4 has a lot more high profile games this year than the Switch, I mean Dead Cells released just a few weeks after God of War.

I don't know how and why this warrants a thread, would the PS4 userbase be more likely to buy God of War and Far Cry 5? or would they want a 2D platformer indie game? Hint: it's not the indie game.

The Switch has no games this year, that's a fact. All they have going for them is Smash to finish of the year and to hide themselves from having nothing to show their consumer base, otherwise, it's been a drought.

User Warned By ~ PwerlvlAmy

This is funny considering that Switch is dominating the top 10 or 20 of the software charts these days, and yet "it has no games", and most indie games aren't even recorded on the charts since they are usually download only so hmmmm, reality seems to contradict this guy's view.

Those games are mostly 2017 games and smaller 2018 games. In a year of noteworthy releases Mario tennis wouldn't have been the top seller anywhere.

As a Switch owner, it was collecting dust post SMO but recently I got Octopath and it has me hooked. But I wouldn't have gotten Octopath of Switch had any big release this year.

Ganoncrotch said:
flashfire926 said:
I thought we were done with the "switch has no gamez" narrative, but looks like I was wrong...

It shouldn't even be a point of debate at this stage, like when someone mentions the system lacking things to play it this drought of games I feel like that person has actively gone out of their way to make a post about something they don't know about, it would be akin to me giving my views on period pain based topics.

From wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games

Games listEdit

There are currently 1385 games on the system

But then we get the narrative of games not counting unless it's the yearly release of call of duty, battlefield or Madden. I find it a sad time for  gaming when those annual sports titles are what people rather see on a system than fantastic titles like hollow Knight and dead cells. I guess times have changed on here for some people.

No, indie games aren't the same as AAA games. Say what you want of Dead Cells but its no Dark Souls and can never fathom to be. There is more you can do with high production values and in a 3 dimensional space than a 2D game with minimal production values.

This fantasisation of annual games is hilariously bad. You sure people aren't thinking of big amazing AAA games like Spiderman, God of War and red Dead Redemption 2 when they point to the lack of such big games on Switch? I'm sure you do but you are deliberately framing in a way so that you have an easier time arguing with them.

Farsala said:
flashfire926 said:

Same thing as PS4 has no gamez. I guess when a console has no gamez on these boards then they become a really successful console.

PS4 atleast had a plethora of multiplatform games. Also exclusive. Its 2nd year Infamous Second Son was amazing and Driveclub and LBP 3 were still big games, and it had Dragon Age Inquisition, GTA 5 and Far Cry 4 which were way better than previous gen console versions. Switch has a bad port of Wolfenstein to its name in the 2nd year, and Octopath while a good game wouldn't stand anywhere in a year of notable releases.

GOWTLOZ said:
Slownenberg said:

This is funny considering that Switch is dominating the top 10 or 20 of the software charts these days, and yet "it has no games", and most indie games aren't even recorded on the charts since they are usually download only so hmmmm, reality seems to contradict this guy's view.

Those games are mostly 2017 games and smaller 2018 games. In a year of noteworthy releases Mario tennis wouldn't have been the top seller anywhere.

As a Switch owner, it was collecting dust post SMO but recently I got Octopath and it has me hooked. But I wouldn't have gotten Octopath of Switch had any big release this year.

Farsala said:

PS4 atleast had a plethora of multiplatform games. Also exclusive. Its 2nd year Infamous Second Son was amazing and Driveclub and LBP 3 were still big games, and it had Dragon Age Inquisition, GTA 5 and Far Cry 4 which were way better than previous gen console versions. Switch has a bad port of Wolfenstein to its name in the 2nd year, and Octopath while a good game wouldn't stand anywhere in a year of notable releases.

1st part:

No most of the games are not from 2017. Four of them are - Zelda, MK, Splatoon, Mario - pretty much all the rest of the games dominating the charts recently in the top 10 or 20 are from 2018. Just checked the most recent Global July 28th software charts and yeah the big four games on Switch are obviously kicking ass but the other 11 of the top 15 selling Switch games are from 2018 (with Minecraft being that high up the charts because its a 2018 physical release), and that top 15 Switch games make up half of the top 31 games industry-wide. And you're saying Mario Tennis wouldn't have been a top seller if bigger games had come out...but we're talking about all systems here, so that doesn't make a case for Nintendo not having games, that only makes the case for no systems having top games this year, but of the games that have come out this year Nintendo is currently dominating since it is dominating the top 10 and has basically half of the top 30, all games from 2018 outside of Nintendo's big four from 2017.

2nd part:

No one would argue PS4 has more multiplat games than Switch. That's not what you've been saying. You're trying to say Switch has no games outside of indies, which clearly isn't true since it has been dominating the software charts which don't even include the indies that are dominating the Switch download charts. So in your mind it must make PS4 look realllly bad when despite having 4 times the user base and much more third party support it can barely get a game in the top 10 which Switch has been dominating this summer despite Switch having not a single major AAA release yet this year. Software charts shows Switch is doing fantastic no matter what you say, but if we take your argument it makes PS4 look even worse than the charts show if Switch is dominating despite having your claimed "no games" other than download-only indie titles.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 09 September 2018

Around the Network
cycycychris said:

"For some reason the games industry doesn't seem to like sharing sales numbers with the public, so it's always interesting to hear about how a current game is doing straight from the source. This weekend at PAX I spoke briefly with one of the marketers behind indie sensation Dead Cells, who mentioned that the game is performing much better on the Switch than the PS4. No concrete numbers were provided, but I was told that the Switch version of Dead Cells is outselling the PS4 release by a factor of four to one."

https://www.destructoid.com/dead-cells-switch-is-outselling-the-ps4-version-by-a-factor-of-four-to-one-521320.phtml

Another Indie game killing it on Switch, you'd gotta be crazy at this point not to port your game to switch if your a indie Dev.

You know whats even crazier is I heard Spiderman is outselling the Switch by Millions to 0

User was Warned for Trolling due this post - cycycychris

Last edited by cycycychris - on 09 September 2018

GOWTLOZ said:
Slownenberg said:

Ganoncrotch said:

It shouldn't even be a point of debate at this stage, like when someone mentions the system lacking things to play it this drought of games I feel like that person has actively gone out of their way to make a post about something they don't know about, it would be akin to me giving my views on period pain based topics.

From wiki

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games

Games listEdit

There are currently 1385 games on the system

But then we get the narrative of games not counting unless it's the yearly release of call of duty, battlefield or Madden. I find it a sad time for  gaming when those annual sports titles are what people rather see on a system than fantastic titles like hollow Knight and dead cells. I guess times have changed on here for some people.

No, indie games aren't the same as AAA games. Say what you want of Dead Cells but its no Dark Souls and can never fathom to be. There is more you can do with high production values and in a 3 dimensional space than a 2D game with minimal production values.

This fantasisation of annual games is hilariously bad. You sure people aren't thinking of big amazing AAA games like Spiderman, God of War and red Dead Redemption 2 when they point to the lack of such big games on Switch? I'm sure you do but you are deliberately framing in a way so that you have an easier time arguing with them.

Farsala said:

You mention dark souls over games on the switch ... Even though dark souls is launching in the next month or two? I'm confused.

Also switch didn't have big name games except for Mario tennis? Fortnite is arguably the biggest and most popular game in the world right now and it launch on the switch at e3

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Slownenberg said:
GOWTLOZ said:

1st part:

No most of the games are not from 2017. Four of them are - Zelda, MK, Splatoon, Mario - pretty much all the rest of the games dominating the charts recently in the top 10 or 20 are from 2018. Just checked the most recent Global July 28th software charts and yeah the big four games on Switch are obviously kicking ass but the other 11 of the top 15 selling Switch games are from 2018 (with Minecraft being that high up the charts because its a 2018 physical release), and that top 15 Switch games make up half of the top 31 games industry-wide. And you're saying Mario Tennis wouldn't have been a top seller if bigger games had come out...but we're talking about all systems here, so that doesn't make a case for Nintendo not having games, that only makes the case for no systems having top games this year, but of the games that have come out this year Nintendo is currently dominating since it is dominating the top 10 and has basically half of the top 30, all games from 2018 outside of Nintendo's big four from 2017.

2nd part:

No one would argue PS4 has more multiplat games than Switch. That's not what you've been saying. You're trying to say Switch has no games outside of indies, which clearly isn't true since it has been dominating the software charts which don't even include the indies that are dominating the Switch download charts. So in your mind it must make PS4 look realllly bad when despite having 4 times the user base and much more third party support it can barely get a game in the top 10 which Switch has been dominating this summer despite Switch having not a single major AAA release yet this year. Software charts shows Switch is doing fantastic no matter what you say, but if we take your argument it makes PS4 look even worse than the charts show if Switch is dominating despite having your claimed "no games" other than download-only indie titles.

Take a look at this year's charts and not just this week's and you'll get a good perspective. This year Far Cry 5, MH W and God of War have dominated the charts. Just a couple of weeks of some games on Switch selling well and you start talking of Nintendo domination. Dayuuuumm dude.

I said Switch has no big AAA games this year other than ports. Fortnite and Wolfenstein are the big games it got. It'll get some later this year like Dragon Ball Fighterz but there are none so far. Mario Tennis is not AAA by any means. Switch is selling and so is the software. Has nothing to do with this year's releases as its telling that its biggest sellers of the year were released last year.

Bought it on Switch yesterday, physical of course. Hoping for Okami to get a physical version as well!

I mean, if you have both, there is literally ZERO reason to have Indies on PS4/Xbone over switch, while switch has one huge advantage.