By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: Switch on track to sell only 8 million systems this Fiscal Year

SammyGiireal said:

I said 10-12 million on another thread, and no one seemed to agree. 20 mil are high expectations and 8 are too low. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

10-12 million is far too low, it did 15 million last year so this year should be higher than that, it might not hit the 20m goal but its not missing it by 8-10 million.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I don't really understand this thread. A lot of people have predicted that the Switch won't reach 20 million. Why is that "bold"?

zorg1000 said:
SammyGiireal said:

I said 10-12 million on another thread, and no one seemed to agree. 20 mil are high expectations and 8 are too low. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

10-12 million is far too low, it did 15 million last year so this year should be higher than that, it might not hit the 20m goal but its not missing it by 8-10 million.

Isn't it down YoY so far despite last year having massive supply issues/shortages?

To people saying he's just extrapolating from the 1st quarter, that's still a dumb statement to make. If he wants to say 1st quarter was bad, just say it, don't say something that makes it sound like you think the historically worst quarter will be what the system sells all fiscal year.

Megiddo said:
zorg1000 said:

Isn't it down YoY so far despite last year having massive supply issues/shortages?

By a whopping 80k

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I don't really understand this thread. A lot of people have predicted that the Switch won't reach 20 million. Why is that "bold"?

There is a difference between saying it will miss its shipment goals and saying it will miss it by 12 million.

contestgamer said:
Pachter has been right with MOST o his predictions for the past 10 years I've followed him. Sure, he's not right 100% of the time, but he's usually accurate, so this seems likely.

He's famous for always being wrong.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Megiddo said:
zorg1000 said:

It's down in shipments by 80,000 but up in sales by nearly 700,000.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Given that Pachter, whether he’s positive or negative, tends to predict the opposite of what ends up happening...can’t say this really sways me much either way here. XD

Switch could certainly miss its forecast. It’s first quarter was basically the same as last year. But predicting 8 million seems a tad...overblown.

Nintendo has always made the bulk of its sales during the holiday season. Given that Nintendo didn’t lower their expectations after Labo floundered, I imagine they’ve always thought they’d make the bulk of their sales with Pokemon and Smash.

Jumpin said:
Megiddo said:

It's down in shipments by 80K, but up in sales by 1 million.

Wow, it's up that much in sales? Can you link your source to this information?