By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The first versions of non-Nintendo consoles are always bad.

If the main criteria for judgement is personal experience then the worst console I've ever owned was my NES. Trying to get games to play on that was my first experience in gamer rage. I had to push the cartridge in and out so many times that it felt like I was having sex with it. At least, it would have if I'd been old enough to know anything about sex--of if I'd have access to the internet.

Atari 2600, Dreamcast (and I spill Dr. Pepper on it), PS1, PS3 all played flawlessly. I did have trouble playing blue discs on my PS2.

Also, let's not forget that the first Famicom had it's own RROD situation and was recalled in Japan.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:

So this has been a thing since at least gen 7. The first 360 was a RROD machine, with a tiny HDD. The first PS3 was a massive George Foreman Grill with Jet Engine Turbines for a fan. My first PS4 broke on me twice due to my roommate putting it in a place with not so great ventilation. The XB1 came with Kinect and cost $500. Both the PS4 and XB1 were kinda weak at launch, leading to the mid gen refreshes of Pro/1X. 

Next gen I'm not even going to get a PS5 until the 2nd model comes out. Sony doesn't have many exclusives until around the middle of the gen anyway. 

I mean... did you miss all the issues Switch has had since launch? Also, those PS4’s overhearing are clearly a you-problem. Most electronics don’t do wel in areas with little ventilation and lots of heat.  Have a Pro now, but my day 1 PS4 still runs like new. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

The first version of every home console or handheld (no matter if Nintendo or non-Nintendo) always had room for improvement. Otherwise there wouldn't have been much reasons for revisions.

Bandorr said:

"- The first versions of non-Nintendo consoles are always bad. "
What was wrong with the Playstation 1? The Playstation 2? The original Xbox?

What about the first Sega one? Atari? Neo Geo, and the list continues i'm sure.

This is just an awkward post. One console has serious problems. One had a minor problem. You had problems with one console, and one you are just straight up objecting to the price for the last.

While ignoring any issues the switch has. Like having to send my Joycon 3 months after because he couldn't go left.

Little alone the problems of previous consoles like the wii U naming etc.

PS2 was a bad example.  It did great for a few years, but the phat PS2s were prone to lose the ability to scan disks overtime.  I had 3 and all of them fell victim to this.  It was a widespread problem on the net with only a few band aid solutions available.  It was not blown up as much though because as I said, it took several years for the issue to set root.

The slim PS2 models never had that problem however, and are far more reliable overall.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Nintendo was great with launch models up until the Switch it seems. Those joycons are problematic, as well as complaints of warping and cracking units.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

Well the launch PS3 may not have been the most reliable PS3, but it was also the only model with full PS1/PS2 backwards compatibility so it was still easily the best PS3 model thanks to that.

As for the original PS4 model, you can't blame Sony for your roommate fucking up your console. They only sell you the console, not a decent roommate to go with it
My launch PS4 is still working fine though, it's racked up a lot of mileage with trains and planes too, but still works perfectly fine. It did have a disc eject error for a little while but that fixed itself about 3 or 4 years ago.

Oh and if you're comparing to Nintendo consoles power really is a non-factor so the Pro releasing is irrelevant.

Pretty much.

I have a launch unit PS4 and it perfectly works to this day (and honestly im pretty sure it will keep going until im done with it).

So are we saying the base Xbox One and PS4 were bad versions of the console because the Xbox One S/PS4 Slim and above are way better? Or is there actually something wrong with those old models that I am missing here? Can't say there bad just because their revised versions are better, that is to be expected when you revise a console mid generation. The original Xbox One and PS4 are amazing systems that had zero issues. And their newer counterparts just compliment that.

Can't agree with that.

I have only ever had an issue with 3 consoles. The PS1, the Original Xbox, and the Wii. Every other system I have owned still works fine to this day.

In the case of the PS3 and the PS Vita, the 1st were easily the best.

My day one PS3 still functions perfectly. I have upgraded it to a 1TB SSD, and it plays PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, while also housing my PS Vita library. The day one PS3 is one of the most feature rich devices ever released. On day one it also supported other OS, which allowed it to do almost anything via Linux and even Windows. Later PS3's saw many, many features stripped out.

The same is true for the Day one PS Vita. My day 1 3G PS Vita is still working besides the rear touch pad, which is likely due to the hundreds of times it has been dropped. I have a second 3G Vita I bought, which I still use day to day, while my PS Vita 2000 sits at home. The day one PS Vita's option for 3G made it the best Mobile device that has ever been released period. It also had a better screen, and a full sized rear touch pad, both of which deliver a better expereince than the revised model. Unfortunately, just like with the PS3, Sony has stipped away features from the day one units, which don't let them function as well as they once did. They are still better than the revised models though.

The OG PS4 is a great unit as well, and only falls short compaired to the optional PS4 Pro upgrade. The day one PS4 has even been patched to support HDR output, making it almost identical to the Pro, less the ability for moderate resolution bumps.

Honestly, all in all, consoles are the greatest value in all of electrioncs. They are the only devices that you can buy day one, that are equal to or less than what they are being manufactured for. In my expereince they often last longer and are supported longer than devices that are multiple times their cost. Thta is why Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, all get the highest of praise from me. As long as they continue this business model, and continue to deliver incredible exclusive content, I will be buying all three companies products day one going forward, along with any enhanced editions they might add to the line.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

TheBird said:
Can't say they're bad just because their revised versions are better, that is to be expected when you revise a console mid generation.

Exactly. What about the superior revisions for Nintendo consoles? Do they also make the original consoles bad?

This thread is weird.

The only console I ever had a technical problem with that resulted from a design flaw was the YLOD on my launch PS3. I could fix it myself though but I never really trusted it afterwards. It had sounded like a jet engine for years. My PS1 had issues reading discs, it would take a couple of resets, but it was probably because of something that went wrong with modding it to play pirated games (yes, we did that back then) so it was our fault.

I never had a problem with any other console of any other maker whatsoever and the all still work perfectly to this day. Maybe I’d have to blow in an NES cartridge at times but nothing more.

As a side note; My 3DS doesn’t have scratches on the screen, which as far as I’m concerned is just false. It doesn’t happen. I’ve slammed it shut as hard as the next guy but nothing. There can be lines on the top screen sure, but those are just dirt and can be wiped off. Maybe people just need to clean their 3DS’s for once. Also reading about the Switch ‘warping’. What do you have to do to get something like that? I’ll never understand how people manage to break their stuff. Like bending iPhones. I sit on mine all the time and all versions I had are still as flat as a pancake. How heavy do you have to be?!