By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The first versions of non-Nintendo consoles are always bad.

Nope, my fat PS3 is the quietest I have owned, granted I took off the IHS plates to repaste, but wasn't that bad to begin with.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

"- The first versions of non-Nintendo consoles are always bad. "
What was wrong with the Playstation 1? The Playstation 2? The original Xbox?

What about the first Sega one? Atari? Neo Geo, and the list continues i'm sure.

This is just an awkward post. One console has serious problems. One had a minor problem. You had problems with one console, and one you are just straight up objecting to the price for the last.

While ignoring any issues the switch has. Like having to send my Joycon 3 months after because he couldn't go left.

Little alone the problems of previous consoles like the wii U naming etc.

Well its actually a bit of a tradition for Sony consoles. The first ps1 model could melt its own laser support causing it to stop reading discs unless you had it upside down,  And the ps2 initially shipped with a software glitch that could cause it to delete its own bios if i remember correctly.

Launch ps1,2,3,4 still works perfect!

Launch switch/joycons getting lose or not connecting.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

KBG29 said:
Can't agree with that.

I have only ever had an issue with 3 consoles. The PS1, the Original Xbox, and the Wii. Every other system I have owned still works fine to this day.

In the case of the PS3 and the PS Vita, the 1st were easily the best.

My day one PS3 still functions perfectly. I have upgraded it to a 1TB SSD, and it plays PS1, PS2, and PS3 games, while also housing my PS Vita library. The day one PS3 is one of the most feature rich devices ever released. On day one it also supported other OS, which allowed it to do almost anything via Linux and even Windows. Later PS3's saw many, many features stripped out.

The same is true for the Day one PS Vita. My day 1 3G PS Vita is still working besides the rear touch pad, which is likely due to the hundreds of times it has been dropped. I have a second 3G Vita I bought, which I still use day to day, while my PS Vita 2000 sits at home. The day one PS Vita's option for 3G made it the best Mobile device that has ever been released period. It also had a better screen, and a full sized rear touch pad, both of which deliver a better expereince than the revised model. Unfortunately, just like with the PS3, Sony has stipped away features from the day one units, which don't let them function as well as they once did. They are still better than the revised models though.

The OG PS4 is a great unit as well, and only falls short compaired to the optional PS4 Pro upgrade. The day one PS4 has even been patched to support HDR output, making it almost identical to the Pro, less the ability for moderate resolution bumps.

Honestly, all in all, consoles are the greatest value in all of electrioncs. They are the only devices that you can buy day one, that are equal to or less than what they are being manufactured for. In my expereince they often last longer and are supported longer than devices that are multiple times their cost. Thta is why Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo, all get the highest of praise from me. As long as they continue this business model, and continue to deliver incredible exclusive content, I will be buying all three companies products day one going forward, along with any enhanced editions they might add to the line.

Nice post, and I agree with all of it, although my experiences with the various consoles were slightly different. I too had issues with my launch PS1, but they were almost certainly exacerbated by idiots it lent it out to, running it round the clock in a room that was both very hot and quite dirty. Even when they stepped out to grab food or whatever. Because they were too stupid to simply save the game and turn it off. Anyway, that particular unit had to be repaired  3 times, and only one of those were directly attributable to those guys. I do have 3 Vitas and one of them is a legit lemon in terms of build quality. I'm really surprised to read that you've dropped your Vita so often. I have dropped my launch Vita once, and knocked it off a counter while in it's protective case on another occasion. Very traumatic. Playing Rainbow Moon in 2014. Hasn't happened since.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Based on comments here, it seems that it's all about one's personal experience. For me...

Never a problem with my XB360.
OG Xbone won't read disks anymore
XB1S has to be restarted regularly to connect to the internet
PS4 Pro sounds like a jet engine
OG WiiU takes like 45 minutes to start playing a game

Now that I think of it, aside from the lack of a backlight on some old Nintendo handhelds, basically all of the complaints about hardware that I have are related to 8th gen systems.

Around the Network

Not everyone gets it right on the first try. The original DS was ugly as sin. The Wii U remained itself throughout. Every company has their ups and downs.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

COKTOE said:

Nice post, and I agree with all of it, although my experiences with the various consoles were slightly different. I too had issues with my launch PS1, but they were almost certainly exacerbated by idiots it lent it out to, running it round the clock in a room that was both very hot and quite dirty. Even when they stepped out to grab food or whatever. Because they were too stupid to simply save the game and turn it off. Anyway, that particular unit had to be repaired  3 times, and only one of those were directly attributable to those guys. I do have 3 Vitas and one of them is a legit lemon in terms of build quality. I'm really surprised to read that you've dropped your Vita so often. I have dropped my launch Vita once, and knocked it off a counter while in it's protective case on another occasion. Very traumatic. Playing Rainbow Moon in 2014. Hasn't happened since.

My PS1 was shared with my brother, and it was on all the time. The issue we had was swapping discs when the machine was hot. The plastic on the disc spindle would get too hot, and the little balls would pop out. Over time the plastic broke, and we had to send it in to get a new spindle. 

As far as dropping my Vita. It is more like it falls out of shorts pockets. Same thing happens with my wallet and keys, typically when getting out of the car, but also when hopping up on stuff. I wear athletic style shorts a lot, and they are the worst at keeping things in their pockets. Basically any time my quads comes up past 90 degrees, there is a good chance things will come flying out. 

I am actually surprised my 2nd 3G Vita is still fully functional, because I was running back to my friends car one night in the rain and it came out of my pocket, and I kicked it about 20 feet. It tumbled end over end across the asphalt until it slammed into the bumper of his car. It's missing chucks from every corner, but everything still works perfectly.  

The thing that knocked out my 1st 3G Vita's back touch pad was it falling about 12' from my pocket while I was climbing a ladder. Slipped out of my pocket, and came down right on the cement patio. Everything else still worked fine, only realized the back touch was out when I went to play Little Big Planet.

My OG Xbox and the Wii just quit working. Never figured out why. One day they were fine, and the next they were just flat dead.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

There are always issues with any new tech, including Nintendo.

Bandorr said:
"The first versions of non-Nintendo consoles are always bad. "
"Oh, and as I said in the first sentence of my original post, this has only been a thing since gen 7".

That isn't how topics/thread titles/thesis work. The main premise goes in the title. You don't put click bait in the title and then change it in the original post.

Yeah I messed up.