By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The first versions of non-Nintendo consoles are always bad.

So this has been a thing since at least gen 7. The first 360 was a RROD machine, with a tiny HDD. The first PS3 was a massive George Foreman Grill with Jet Engine Turbines for a fan. My first PS4 broke on me twice due to my roommate putting it in a place with not so great ventilation. The XB1 came with Kinect and cost $500. Both the PS4 and XB1 were kinda weak at launch, leading to the mid gen refreshes of Pro/1X. 

Next gen I'm not even going to get a PS5 until the 2nd model comes out. Sony doesn't have many exclusives until around the middle of the gen anyway. 

Edit: Okay not all non-Nintendo consoles. PS4 was good, and I just had bad luck with mine. Xbox One on the other hand was bad because it was overpriced due to Kinect being included. Oh, and as I said in the first sentence of my original post, this has only been a thing since gen 7. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 11 August 2018

Around the Network

Well,the standart PS4 is weaker than the Pro, but I still think is a pretty fine console.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Well your PS4 breaking sounds like user error. I agree that Nintendo consoles have historically been more reliable with their launch models. Though I've not had any problems with my launch PS4, and it's certainly not had widespread failures like rrod or ylod.

Also bringing power up doesn't really fit with the point you're making in the title.

I think it differs from person to person.

I still have my first PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS Vita and XB360 all functioning perfectly fine.

The battery in my 3DS XL was fried within approx. 6 months.

Nintendo isn't immune to this in their handhelds.

First gen GBA didn't have a backlit screen.

First gen Fat DS - nuff said

First gen 3DS was pretty good, but the better 3D tracking, analog nub, bigger screen, and more buttons of the New3DS made the original obsolete even when not factoring in the increased power.

If the Switch gets an upgrade I think the first gen version we've been enjoying will look pretty shabby in hindsight, much as I love the thing now.

Around the Network
h2ohno said:
Nintendo isn't immune to this in their handhelds.

First gen GBA didn't have a backlit screen.

First gen Fat DS - nuff said

First gen 3DS was pretty good, but the better 3D tracking, analog nub, bigger screen, and more buttons of the New3DS made the original obsolete even when not factoring in the increased power.

If the Switch gets an upgrade I think the first gen version we've been enjoying will look pretty shabby in hindsight, much as I love the thing now.

Good point with GBA. 

Fat DS was perfect! GBA carts even fit in it perfectly, unlike the NDS Lite having GBA carts stick out of the front by half an inch. 

Launch 3DS was indeed awful, but only because of small screen size, and horrible price. I still have my 3DS XL from the launch of that model, and it is perfect. The New 3DS XL is a bit better, but only when it comes to the second analogue nub, and 3D mode. But I never play games that need the 2nd nub, and I have good eyes that don't need the advanced 3D mode to avoid headaches. New 3DS XL was mostly made so that people with glasses, and bad vision could use the 3D mode without getting a headache. 

2nd model Switch just needs a longer battery life IMO. But that's pretty hard to accomplish, and NIntendo would be better off just releasing an official battery pack add on, or an official XL version of the existing battery. 

Cerebralbore101 said:

So this has been a thing since at least gen 7. The first 360 was a RROD machine, with a tiny HDD. The first PS3 was a massive George Foreman Grill with Jet Engine Turbines for a fan. My first PS4 broke on me twice due to my roommate putting it in a place with not so great ventilation. The XB1 came with Kinect and cost $500. Both the PS4 and XB1 were kinda weak at launch, leading to the mid gen refreshes of Pro/1X. 

Next gen I'm not even going to get a PS5 until the 2nd model comes out. Sony doesn't have many exclusives until around the middle of the gen anyway. 

Ummm....Did you ever play on the launch GBA? Garbage. The screen was so impossible to see, that my acceptance of it's existence was based mostly off conjecture. I sold it within weeks. Luckily I got to play the GBA games I wanted to later on with the SP and DS.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Ummm....Did you ever play on the launch GBA? Garbage. The screen was so impossible to see, that my acceptance of it's existence was based mostly off conjecture. I sold it within weeks. Luckily I got to play the GBA games I wanted to later on with the SP and DS.

Yeah, I agree with the GBA. Someone already pointed that out. 

The original 3DS had problems with the upper screen being scratched by the frame of the lower screen. And while we are on the subject of scratching didn't the Switch-dock scratch the Switch-screen for many people?

Up until literally april this year, my launch PS4 had been going strong with no issues. Probably still is today, but I cannot confirm as I traded it in when I got a Pro.

My sisters launch PS3 with full PS2 BC is still going strong to this day.

Maybe you are just unlucky?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261