By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U era Nintendo felt too... Soft

Double post

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Shiken said:

I never said they gave up on casuals, I said their focus is clearly more core this time around.

Breath of the Wild (core)

Mario Kart (both)

Splatoon 2 (both, but more core than casual)

Smash (both, I believe more core will play this though)

Xenoblade 2 (core)

Fire Emblem (core)

Metroid Prime 4 (core)

Bayo 3 (core)

Octopath Traveler (core)

Pokemon Lets Go (casual??????  Being a remake of yellow I still do not know where this falls, but lets call casual for go mech)

Core Pokemon game next year (core)

Labo (casual)

Go Vacation (casual)

It seems pretty clear cut to me.  There is little doubt that Nintendo is focusing more on core than casual this time around.  Convince me otherwise....

Many of those games have been on other Nintendo consoles before, even those considered "Casual" like Wii, Wii U, and DS. Splatoon and Smash are much more equal in regards to casual vs. core balance, and I'd even argue that BotW is one of the most casual friendly open world games ever. In the end, it's more about Nintendo learning that you can make a game more accessible to casuals without dumbing it down to the point of insult, something they struggled with in the later Wii and Wii U days. 

I feel like your perception is off.  BotW was crushingly hard for the first half of the game.  Not very casual friendly if you ask me.  And I will tell you what...

Convince LonleyDolphin on these forums that Splatoon is more casual, or even equal, than it is core and I will change my stance.  I feel like you are judging games off of art style rather than gamplay, which sets your entire argument up for failure IMO.

Shiken said: 

I feel like your perception is off.  BotW was crushingly hard for the first half of the game.  Not very casual friendly if you ask me.  And I will tell you what...

Convince LonleyDolphin on these forums that Splatoon is more casual, or even equal, than it is core and I will change my stance.  I feel like you are judging games off of art style rather than gamplay, which sets your entire argument up for failure IMO.

Yes, BotW is challenging. But it's also very forgiving. When you die, the game gives you a fair chance to try again or go do something else. The world in BotW is so massive that even the most basic of tasks is fun to do. It's simplicity and generally relaxed paced make it much easier to get into for casuals compared to other open world games.

Splatoon can be a competitive shooter yes, but the game has a very low skill floor. It's controls are incredibly simple and intuitive, relying mostly on motion control for aiming. And the concept of inking the floor to win means that even those with poor accuracy can have fun and have a chance at winning. Of course there's more to it than that at higher levels, but Splatoon was designed to be as accessible of shooter as possible to those who never played or liked shooters. IE, casual gamers. 

TheMisterManGuy said:

Shiken said: 

Yes, BotW is challenging. But it's also very forgiving. When you die, the game gives you a fair chance to try again or go do something else. The world in BotW is so massive that even the most basic of tasks is fun to do. It's simplicity and generally relaxed paced make it much easier to get into for casuals compared to other open world games.

Splatoon can be a competitive shooter yes, but the game has a very low skill floor. It's controls are incredibly simple and intuitive, relying mostly on motion control for aiming. And the concept of inking the floor to win means that even those with poor accuracy can have fun and have a chance at winning. Of course there's more to it than that at higher levels, but Splatoon was designed to be as accessible of shooter as possible to those who never played or liked shooters. IE, casual gamers. 

Any casual would get crushed in even upper C ranked matches.  The game is far more involved than you think lol.  Have you even played the game?  It seems you are focusing on one game mode (turf war) for your entire argument,  while ignoring the 4 to 5 other game modes.

God of War starts you back at its most recent save as well  does that make it casual?

Shiken said:

Any casual would get crushed in even upper C ranked matches.  The game is fsr more involved than you think lol.

God of War starts you back at its most recent save as well  does that make it casual?

Doesn't matter if they would loose at higher ranks. The most important part is that the game is fun and easy to play and learn. Sure, it takes time to get good. But it's simple mechanics and controls mean there's no real barrier to entry. Learning high level play becomes natural the more you play the game. It's one of the easiest competitive games for casuals to learn at a high level. 

GoW also isn't a huge Open sandbox world with plenty to do outside combat. 

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Shiken said:

Any casual would get crushed in even upper C ranked matches.  The game is fsr more involved than you think lol.

Doesn't matter if they would loose at higher ranks. The most important part is that the game is fun and easy to play and learn. Sure, it takes time to get good. But it's simple mechanics and controls mean there's no real barrier to entry. Learning high level play becomes natural the more you play the game. It's one of the easiest competitive games for casuals to learn at a high level. 

GoW also isn't a huge Open sandbox world with plenty to do outside combat. 

One would argue that the whole huge sandbox idea would overwhelm casuals (been stated to by many) and the more linear approach of GoW would make it much more accessible and straight forward, thus making it more of a casual game.

See what I did there?

Oh and again, you are focusing on 1 out of 5 game modes for your splatoon argument again.  Not helping your case dude.

Shiken said: 

One would argue that the whole huge sandbox idea would overwhelm casuals (been stated to by many) and the more linear approach of GoW would make it much more accessible and straight forward, thus making it more of a casual game.

See what I did there?

Oh and again, you are focusing on 1 out of 5 game modes for your splatoon argument again.  Not helping your case dude.

You'd have a case with Open world games if the game constantly pressured the player with too many important objectives and quests. . BotW doesn't do that. It literally is a sandbox. You're free to play the game however you want, and progress the story at whatever pace you choose. The game is meticulously crafted to reward even the most random and fun stuff. 

As for GoW, you'd be correct in that it's linear nature would appeal to casual gamers. That was never the argument though. The argument was about BotW and whether it is actually a casual friendly game or not. 

For Splatoon, of course, most casuals are going to start in Turf War for most of their initial time. It's only after they start learning about different techniques, strategies, and play-styles that they can work their way up and become more competent in more modes. Casuals aren't stupid, they can learn and get good at games like any other gamer so long as the rules and mechanics are presented in a simple, user-friendly way. 

TheMisterManGuy said:

Shiken said: 

So you seem to have it wrong.  A game can cater to both, but most WiiU games did not.  The question is not if it has games that only appeal to core gamers, but if it has games that are core enough to attract them.  That is the difference, and Nintendo's focus is clearly more core this time around.

Yeah, I don't really buy that. While it is true that games can be for both casual and hardcore gamers, I'd say it's more the case of Nintendo doing a better job balancing for different skill levels this time. That doesn't mean they're mostly focusing on hardcore gamers though. Come on, your going to sit here and tell me that the decision to make 2 candy-colored detachable motion controllers that can be shared for multiplayer or cardboard construction toys for children weren't made with casual gamers in mind? 

Yeah, I agree with this. In my opinion the difference is, that with WiiU they tried to make their games for everyones, while with Switch they make games to specific groups, but the system includes games for different groups and is versatile enough in design to work more or less for each of these groups. Case in point are the Joycons. Detached single Joycon works as a Wiimote, but both on the grip work like a classic controller. Connected to the Switch itself, it works for mobile use. So the Joycons are designed for three use-cases (looking at Labo even more), which are designed for different groups of users. WiiU-gamepad was more one control-scheme to rule them all, and worked very mediore in that.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 10 August 2018

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Shiken said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

Any casual would get crushed in even upper C ranked matches.  The game is far more involved than you think lol.  Have you even played the game?  It seems you are focusing on one game mode (turf war) for your entire argument,  while ignoring the 4 to 5 other game modes.

I find God of War games at least 1-3 to be easier than Zelda games. 

SammyGiireal said:
Shiken said:

I find God of War games at least 1-3 to be easier than Zelda games. 

Exactly my point.  God of War, a game that is widely regarded as core (it is), can be found easier than Zelda games (also core), yet BotW is casual for being a sandbox?  His logic makes no sense to me lol.