By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U era Nintendo felt too... Soft

TheMisterManGuy said:
Shiken said:
The WiiU was a console that was geared to hardcore gamers, but marketed for casuals. They thought everyone who bought a Wii would also get a WiiU, so they made a lot of games that hit a middle ground. Not too casual, but not hardcore either. After the failure of the WiiU for multiple reasons, they geared the Switch mainly for core gamers seeing how it is the core gamers that are always buying new tech, not casuals.

As you said, there were a few hardcore titles like Xenoblade X, BotW, and Bayonetta for the fans that wanted them, but I think they were leaning on 3rd parties to satisfy the needs of the more hardcore audience. When support fell out, so did any chance they had for success.

This time around things are different. AAA games are still missing from 3rd parties sure, but Indies and AA games more than satisfy the itch for 3rd party games for the most part. The big difference is games like BotW, Splatoon 2, Bayo 1,2,3, Prime 4, Smash, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem etc being more geared in depth for the core audience. This give the Switch identity outside of a machine that plays AA games and indies, and makes it a device truly worth having.

Switch is no less aimed at casuals than other Nintendo consoles. It's just that the Switch is versatile enough to appeal to a diverse range of consumers. Half the games you listed, BotW, Splatoon 2, Smash Bros. are as much casual games as they are core games. 

Im sorry but no, there is games that are mainly for kids but clearly their target have changed with the switch. Not only you dont see kids or families in most of their ads now, but the games have a more mature feel to it. 

Around the Network
Shiken said:
SammyGiireal said:

I find God of War games at least 1-3 to be easier than Zelda games. 

Exactly my point.  God of War, a game that is widely regarded as core (it is), can be found easier than Zelda games (also core), yet BotW is casual for being a sandbox?  His logic makes no sense to me lol.

BotW is a challenging game. I can see many of the 10 and under crowd running around aimlessly at the Great Plateau Section. It is a survival game in its early stages. It gets easy eventually, I am 100+ hours in and the battles are mainly a breeze...but many casuals won't have the patience to invest more than 30-40 hours into the game. My wife is not a gamer I tried to get her to play it, needless to say it was difficult to the point she quit playing not 20 minutes into the game, she likes the Last of Us though. So in conclusion BotW is not  a game for casuals, I find it the toughest Zelda since Zelda 2.

SammyGiireal said:
Shiken said:

Exactly my point.  God of War, a game that is widely regarded as core (it is), can be found easier than Zelda games (also core), yet BotW is casual for being a sandbox?  His logic makes no sense to me lol.

BotW is a challenging game. I can see many of the 10 and under crowd running around aimlessly at the Great Plateau Section. It is a survival game in its early stages. It gets easy eventually, I am 100+ hours in and the battles are mainly a breeze...but many casuals won't have the patience to invest more than 30-40 hours into the game. My wife is not a gamer I tried to get her to play it, needless to say it was difficult to the point she quit playing not 20 minutes into the game, she likes the Last of Us though. So in conclusion BotW is not  a game for casuals, I find it the toughest Zelda since Zelda 2.

Yeah once you level your gear and what not, it is quite easy.  However you have to play as a core gamer for a set amount of time and meet certain conditions before that happens.    It is no different than what happens when you grind in JRPGs (just without the grinding lol).  This is why I too, will never see it as a casual game and question what the OP is getting at trying to say it is.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

xMetroid said:

Im sorry but no, there is games that are mainly for kids but clearly their target have changed with the switch. Not only you dont see kids or families in most of their ads now, but the games have a more mature feel to it. 

Casual doesn't mean kids and families, it simply means those who don't do an awful lot of gaming. Which can mean single adults and young men.