By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - So Canada VS Saudi Arabia...

Alara317 said:
o_O.Q said:

you know what i find funny?

here you are on your soap box going on about how we need to force people to be kind and inclusive and yet you're saying some of the meanest and nastiest things to that guy

You know what I find appalling? That you can't seem to understand that there's a whole gradient of what is and is not acceptable between two extremes. You act and respond as if the only options are to tolerate nothing or tolerate everything and are treating me as a person who is hypocritical because I say "you should be nice" while also not being the nicest to a specific subset of people. On the surface, that sounds hypocritical, but considering the different levels of heinous acts being committed (One is an actual abuse of women, the dehumanization of half the population of the country, and a significant affront to basic human rights; the other being me saying 'these people are terrible for violating human rights' or 'you're cruel for not having compassion for those who deserve basic human rights.) 

If you can't differentiate between what is an unforgivable crime against women and someone saying 'cut out the human rights violations', then maybe you shouldn't be having discussions about ethics. Only fools would truly believe that there's no gradient between black and white. 

I am not kind to you or anyone else who is saying Canada should 'keep their noses out of Saudi Arabia's business' because your unwillingness to take action against cruelty indirectly broadcasts your own endorsement of said cruelty. 

We should fully embrace tolerance and equality of women, gays, people of color, and all religions, but only so long as those groups are not using their platform and newfound power to enact cruelty on others. Gays just want to marry and enjoy their partners same as everyone else, and their homosexuality does nothing to harm straight people. Women just want to be treated as equals and given the same rights as their male counterparts. PEople of color and other races just don't want to be the victims of racism and thus get the same rights and equality as everyone else. For the most part, religious people just want to worship however they want without interference or judgement of others (There are definitely issues with some subsets of some religions, but that's not a debate for here.)

Saudi Arabia is actively resisting the rights of their women (And in some cases, like the one at hand, inflicting their laws upon women who were born outside of their nation as well). This is not a case of 'let me practice my own religion without interference', it's 'allow me to continue to commit acts of human rights violations', thus completely changing the landscape of the argument. The moment Saudi Arabia's leaders are using their culture as an excuse to subjugate half their population is the moment action needs to be taken. 

Every woman deserves the right to be treated like a real human being, and I will continue to be intolerant of any nation that actively suppresses those rights. Saudi Arabia is a despicable nation who does despicable things and action needs to be taken against them, even if it is just a global pressure to 'get with the times'. If that takes Canada and the UN actively telling them to cut it out, then I support that and so should you. Not wanting to enact change to make the world a better place or actively resisting it makes you a bad person, as far as I'm concerned. 

Which is why I am telling you and anyone else who thinks like you not to breed. Stop using complacency as an excuse for stagnation. We as a race have come so far towards making the world a better place. Don't stall it becuase of some misguided attempt at neutrality; Such neutrality only supports evil. 

"but considering the different levels of heinous acts being committed (One is an actual abuse of women, the dehumanization of half the population of the country, and a significant affront to basic human rights"

uh... who here is dehumanising women?

"One is an actual abuse of women, the dehumanization of half the population of the country, and a significant affront to basic human rights; the other being me saying 'these people are terrible for violating human rights' or 'you're cruel for not having compassion for those who deserve basic human rights."

you know what i find interesting about this? the fact that mainstream feminism is staunchly in support of islam... the ideology at the very base of the dehumanisation of women in the area

ironically if you wanted to aid in the progression of rights for women in the area, you'd have to fight feminism

its not surprising really looking at the track record feminism has for trampling over the rights of women in certain scenarios

this is part of the reason why people have no respect for sjws their actions are often completely inconsistent with their stated goals

"I am not kind to you or anyone else who is saying Canada should 'keep their noses out of Saudi Arabia's business' because your unwillingness to take action against cruelty indirectly broadcasts your own endorsement of said cruelty. "

uh tell me when canada in conjunction with america and other european powers bombed various countries in the middle east to progress the agenda of "spreading democracy" in the process murdering thousands maybe millions of innocent women and their families, were you on board with that too?

"Every woman deserves the right to be treated like a real human being"

which depending on your perspective and the perspective of the women involved can vary quite a bit and they should be able to make that decision for themselves, not have their agency taken away from them by some bleeding heart "liberal" who can't even keep their agendas straight since their is no logical basis beneath them

" Saudi Arabia is a despicable nation who does despicable things and action needs to be taken against them"

with air strikes? wasn't that the excuse used in iraq, yemen, lybia etc etc etc?

because you know... blowing people up definitely improves their quality of life

"Which is why I am telling you and anyone else who thinks like you not to breed."

and how are you going to stop me from breeding?

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
How is it possible that nobody has pointed out yet that this is obviously all Trumps fault? He's at the core of all wrongdoing in the world. The msm proves it everyday...

We are a nation that picks friendly fights with places like SA, where we rely on a bunch of their oil, and have endless amounts of oil ourselves, yet after mining it, sends it off to be refined elsewhere, then buys it back at exorbitant prices. When we try to keep the entire process here, certain Provinces get in the way and screw the Country over.

We are a nation that points out how it's oppressive for other nations to force woman to cover themselves, yet trying to ban burkas/hijabs/niqabs here in our own Country, is also somehow oppressive to woman.

We are a nation that tries to sweep Muslim wrongdoings that happen here under the table as much as possible, and don't bother reporting on many Muslim incidents in the U.S. either, yet we are more than happy to point out the problems they have in the Middle East, based on our values.

No wonder SA is calling our bluff. Some may say they are going overboard, and I would agree based on the CN Tower plane tweet, but otherwise, this may very well be extremely meaningful to their Country and culture, so they wouldn't be crossing the line from their point of view.

Some of the blow back from SA is BS as well, but the main point of mind your own business, I can't deny. It's one thing to try and use a public platform to help gain yourself some traction with an agenda, it's another to keep pushing that agenda when you've clearly been warned.

As someone who is Canadian myself, I agree with this 100%. Took the words completely out of my mouth.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

o_O.Q said:
Lots of stuff

There's so much here that's either baseless, straight out wrong, willfully ignorant of the issues at hand, or sorely misguided that I'd need an essay to explain how thoroughly incorrect you are on so many levels. 

Since I don't have 4 years and an ethics degree to shove in your face, I'll just say this: have some compassion, do better research, and cut it out with the attempts at power plays. You come across as heartless, petulant, and completely ignorant of the issues at play, here. 

Alara317 said:
o_O.Q said:

There's so much here that's either baseless, straight out wrong, willfully ignorant of the issues at hand, or sorely misguided that I'd need an essay to explain how thoroughly incorrect you are on so many levels. 

Since I don't have 4 years and an ethics degree to shove in your face, I'll just say this: have some compassion, do better research, and cut it out with the attempts at power plays. You come across as heartless, petulant, and completely ignorant of the issues at play, here. 

"that's either baseless, straight out wrong, willfully ignorant"

the millions that have died in the middle east due to western intervention under the guise of "rights" is a fact and i find it deeply offensive that you're trying to pretend otherwise

"an ethics degree"

sounds like a massive waste of time, you'd be better off studying computer science

"have some compassion"

compassion that isn't tempered by reason is useless and very often destructive

"do better research"

this translates to "if you were better informed you would agree with me"

"cut it out with the attempts at power plays."

says the guy desperately trying to take the moral high ground... lmao

" You come across as heartless, petulant, and completely ignorant of the issues at play, here. "

i'm the one who cares that millions of people have died due to western interference, whereas you just want to sweep that under the rug and i come across as heartless and ignorant of these issues? lol ok

o_O.Q said:

i'm the one who cares that millions of people have died due to western interference, whereas you just want to sweep that under the rug and i come across as heartless and ignorant of these issues? lol ok

What are you even on about? this has nothing to do with 'western interference in the middle east'. This thread, and my comments in it, have always been about how terribly Saudi Arabia treats women (and gays, but mostly women) due to an interaction where they jailed a Canadian woman who was advocating women's rights and Canada said they didn't like that much and that they 'strongly urge' Saudi officials to let them go. Canada never had any intention of getting involved in a war, instigating armed conflict, or even threatening; that's just not what Canada does. 

THAT SAID, I do think Saudi Arabia is in the wrong, less about them getting mad at Canadian officials for telling them off and more for being a shit nation with a shit history of shitty treatment of women. Their tantrum just made them look even less mature and more backwards than they did before. 

I even said in another post that I didn't wish for violence, but that something needed to be done about their shitty policies and human rights violations, specifically wishing that they just cut out the barbaric shit they have perpetuated through sheer pressure from every first world country. Violence is not the answer, That's both my stance and Canada's, but that doesn't mean action can't be taken to positively impact change, and last I checked Canada's interference in Middle Eastern politics has been that of an ally or peacekeeper, not an aggressor shooting schools or bombing busses...like Saudi Arabia supposedly did to the students of a neighbouring nation. (I have to check the research on that one but I've heard it spoken multiple times from sources I trust independant of one another.) 

Stop trying to muddle the issue, move the goalposts, or otherwise switch the topic to justify your points. I repeat, this makes you come across as heartless and in many ways ignorant.

Around the Network
Alara317 said:
o_O.Q said:

What are you even on about? this has nothing to do with 'western interference in the middle east'. This thread, and my comments in it, have always been about how terribly Saudi Arabia treats women (and gays, but mostly women) due to an interaction where they jailed a Canadian woman who was advocating women's rights and Canada said they didn't like that much and that they 'strongly urge' Saudi officials to let them go. Canada never had any intention of getting involved in a war, instigating armed conflict, or even threatening; that's just not what Canada does. 

THAT SAID, I do think Saudi Arabia is in the wrong, less about them getting mad at Canadian officials for telling them off and more for being a shit nation with a shit history of shitty treatment of women. Their tantrum just made them look even less mature and more backwards than they did before. 

I even said in another post that I didn't wish for violence, but that something needed to be done about their shitty policies and human rights violations, specifically wishing that they just cut out the barbaric shit they have perpetuated through sheer pressure from every first world country. Violence is not the answer, That's both my stance and Canada's, but that doesn't mean action can't be taken to positively impact change, and last I checked Canada's interference in Middle Eastern politics has been that of an ally or peacekeeper, not an aggressor shooting schools or bombing busses...like Saudi Arabia supposedly did to the students of a neighbouring nation. (I have to check the research on that one but I've heard it spoken multiple times from sources I trust independant of one another.) 

Stop trying to muddle the issue, move the goalposts, or otherwise switch the topic to justify your points. I repeat, this makes you come across as heartless and in many ways ignorant.

"What are you even on about? this has nothing to do with 'western interference in the middle east'. "

" Saudi Arabia is a despicable nation who does despicable things and action needs to be taken against them"

the actions canada has taken recently were bombings in conjunction with the united states and other western powers over the "rights" of the people

"but that something needed to be done about their shitty policies and human rights violations"

which has resulted in millions dead and under the rule of warlords in other middle eastern countries... have you been living under a rock for the past few decades?

"That's both my stance and Canada's"

it may be yours but given that canada has assisted in bombing other middle eastern countries to spread "democracy" it certainly is not canada's

"Stop trying to muddle the issue"

bringing up the millions of lives lost is simply muddling the issue... and i'm the heartless one... ok

"move the goalposts"

goalposts? when did we start playing football? what is this supposed to mean?

"otherwise switch the topic to justify your points"

i don't see how you can rationally claim i'm going off topic

flashfire926 said:
EricHiggin said:
How is it possible that nobody has pointed out yet that this is obviously all Trumps fault? He's at the core of all wrongdoing in the world. The msm proves it everyday...

We are a nation that picks friendly fights with places like SA, where we rely on a bunch of their oil, and have endless amounts of oil ourselves, yet after mining it, sends it off to be refined elsewhere, then buys it back at exorbitant prices. When we try to keep the entire process here, certain Provinces get in the way and screw the Country over.

We are a nation that points out how it's oppressive for other nations to force woman to cover themselves, yet trying to ban burkas/hijabs/niqabs here in our own Country, is also somehow oppressive to woman.

We are a nation that tries to sweep Muslim wrongdoings that happen here under the table as much as possible, and don't bother reporting on many Muslim incidents in the U.S. either, yet we are more than happy to point out the problems they have in the Middle East, based on our values.

No wonder SA is calling our bluff. Some may say they are going overboard, and I would agree based on the CN Tower plane tweet, but otherwise, this may very well be extremely meaningful to their Country and culture, so they wouldn't be crossing the line from their point of view.

Some of the blow back from SA is BS as well, but the main point of mind your own business, I can't deny. It's one thing to try and use a public platform to help gain yourself some traction with an agenda, it's another to keep pushing that agenda when you've clearly been warned.

As someone who is Canadian myself, I agree with this 100%. Took the words completely out of my mouth.

I seriously think if the initial tweet was worded differently, in a more politically correct way, this all could have been avoided.

Instead of saying, 'we're seriously worried about this recent human rights violation, plus any others that have occurred, so we demand SA release all human rights activists immediately', what they should have said was, 'we are aware of a recent human rights activist being detained and potentially other activists as well, and would like to sit down asap to figure out how this can be peacefully resolved'.

If you are the leader of SA, both of those read very very differently. One makes you look like a human rights squashing jerk, as well as a push over, as if your going to just submit to Canada's wishes due to their aggressive tone. The other makes it look like it could be that the activists went overboard, or worst case, SA jumped the gun and made a minor mistake by detaining them. Knowing what the SA Gov is like, the Canadian Gov should have chose to play our typical peacekeeper game, and not the Trump game.

When I read the tweet, it's like they wanted to go full Trump on SA, but thought they needed to be as politically correct as possible at the same time. It doesn't work that way. It makes them look confused and unsure about what to do. You either go full Trump and mean it, with serious repercussion's following a negative reply, or you go the politically correct way and just hope it works, or try and convince the UN to help make them do it for you.

I'm not entirely against the Canadian Gov voicing it's opinion from time to time. They just need to know when to pick their battles, how to properly strike when they do, and when to quit. Trying to force SA to give up their ways in terms of overall human rights, using words, is a lot like trying to get Conservatives to give up their guns, using words. You had better be the smoothest sweet talkin' s.o.b. this planets ever seen, otherwise, don't bother.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 12 August 2018

Saudi Arabia is literal shit in military conflict. A bunch of teenagers with RPGs and AK47s are beating the shit out of Saudi's despite the 110 billion USD worth of weaponry given to them by the US Republican party.

The Saudis are on the losing end of the cold war in the Middle East. They've lost Syria and Iraq. Yemen will be lost next. The only thing stopping a final end to their regime is that their theocracy (which is even unpopular in the Islamic world) is backed by the US.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Alara317 said:
o_O.Q said:

you know what i find funny?

here you are on your soap box going on about how we need to force people to be kind and inclusive and yet you're saying some of the meanest and nastiest things to that guy

You know what I find appalling? That you can't seem to understand that there's a whole gradient of what is and is not acceptable between two extremes. You act and respond as if the only options are to tolerate nothing or tolerate everything and are treating me as a person who is hypocritical because I say "you should be nice" while also not being the nicest to a specific subset of people. On the surface, that sounds hypocritical, but considering the different levels of heinous acts being committed (One is an actual abuse of women, the dehumanization of half the population of the country, and a significant affront to basic human rights; the other being me saying 'these people are terrible for violating human rights' or 'you're cruel for not having compassion for those who deserve basic human rights.) 

If you can't differentiate between what is an unforgivable crime against women and someone saying 'cut out the human rights violations', then maybe you shouldn't be having discussions about ethics. Only fools would truly believe that there's no gradient between black and white. 

I am not kind to you or anyone else who is saying Canada should 'keep their noses out of Saudi Arabia's business' because your unwillingness to take action against cruelty indirectly broadcasts your own endorsement of said cruelty. 

We should fully embrace tolerance and equality of women, gays, people of color, and all religions, but only so long as those groups are not using their platform and newfound power to enact cruelty on others. Gays just want to marry and enjoy their partners same as everyone else, and their homosexuality does nothing to harm straight people. Women just want to be treated as equals and given the same rights as their male counterparts. PEople of color and other races just don't want to be the victims of racism and thus get the same rights and equality as everyone else. For the most part, religious people just want to worship however they want without interference or judgement of others (There are definitely issues with some subsets of some religions, but that's not a debate for here.)

Saudi Arabia is actively resisting the rights of their women (And in some cases, like the one at hand, inflicting their laws upon women who were born outside of their nation as well). This is not a case of 'let me practice my own religion without interference', it's 'allow me to continue to commit acts of human rights violations', thus completely changing the landscape of the argument. The moment Saudi Arabia's leaders are using their culture as an excuse to subjugate half their population is the moment action needs to be taken. 

Every woman deserves the right to be treated like a real human being, and I will continue to be intolerant of any nation that actively suppresses those rights. Saudi Arabia is a despicable nation who does despicable things and action needs to be taken against them, even if it is just a global pressure to 'get with the times'. If that takes Canada and the UN actively telling them to cut it out, then I support that and so should you. Not wanting to enact change to make the world a better place or actively resisting it makes you a bad person, as far as I'm concerned. 

Which is why I am telling you and anyone else who thinks like you not to breed. Stop using complacency as an excuse for stagnation. We as a race have come so far towards making the world a better place. Don't stall it becuase of some misguided attempt at neutrality; Such neutrality only supports evil. 

Every country has different laws, customs and culture. If SA wants to discriminate against certain people thats their right. Those people can try and move elsewhere if they dont want to assimilate in to their culture. You seem intolerant of different cultures and customs. We have countries for a reason - so you can move elsewhere if you dont like your own. 

Alara317 said:
o_O.Q said:

How about you stay out of SA's business and let them conduct their culture and country as they see fit?