By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does GT not get any acclaim in mainstream media?

GOWTLOZ said:

jason1637 said:
Because it's lack of content at launch left a bad impression and other racers like Forza has been eating it's lunch.

Forza 7 is horribly bad when it comes to online. GT Sport is absolutely the best online racer on consoles, with a decent campaign and the best graphics for a console racing game.

GT Sports was made to be an online game so it's online might be better but how's Forza 7 online horribly bad? As for graphics I'd say Horizon 3 and now 4 are better looking. But in general Forza has been doing really well lately with the arcade Horizon games and the Motorsport games have stayed consistent with lots of content. 

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
GOWTLOZ said:

When I made this topic it wasn't known. But having played the game post update it hasn't affected my enjoyment a bit.

The loot crates in FM 7 didn't affect my enjoyment either, but their paid DLCs did. Polyphony makes free DLCs so they are better in business practices.

Did I mention in the OP that its not the case anymore.

Did I mention that.

Yes I did.

Forza 7 is horribly bad when it comes to online. GT Sport is absolutely the best online racer on consoles, with a decent campaign and the best graphics for a console racing game.

Considering a lot of races are limited to a single car, or to a class of car with performance points balancing, even with microtransaction (which I don't like, but if people want to expend extra money to not play the game, there is a lot of games that offer it) the balance won't be broken unless PD start doing unbalanced performance balancing which would be a bigger problem than the microtransaction.

Apparently it was FIA themselves which pushed MTs in GT Sport. I would have to look into it more but that's what I'm hearing.

flashfire926 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

When I made this topic it wasn't known. But having played the game post update it hasn't affected my enjoyment a bit.

The loot crates in FM 7 didn't affect my enjoyment either, but their paid DLCs did. Polyphony makes free DLCs so they are better in business practices.

Does that really matter when Forza has 700+ plus cars on disc (plus a couple here and there they give for free) ?

Despite all the free dlc, GT sport still stands at 237 cars. How did the paid dlc affect your enjoyment? 

also my issue is with the outright lies, not the implementation of the mt's, to be clear.

I know Forza has tons of cars, including stuff like trucks and buggies that have no place in a motorsports game.

Paid DLC affects my enjoyment because I feel I'm not getting the full package, even if the base game has lots of cars most are meh and some of the paid ones I want to drive.

Ofc if you care about cars and tracks GT6 is the epitome of the genre, but I don't see criticism levied at Forza 7 for having 500 fewer cars than GT6.

I get what you're saying about them lying, it doesn't affect the quality of the game itself. Also GT Sport has way better physics, sounds and graphics than Forza 7, which is why I think it deserves more acclaim. Forza 7 has more content and dynamic weather and day night cycles which I like.

Its sort of similar to the GT6 versus FM4 debate, GT6 had more cars, tracks, dynamic weather and day night cycles but also had better physics. Forza 4 had more consistent quality of cars, better sounds and graphics. Still GT6 was criticised for what it lacked compared to Forza 4 rather than where it was better and Forza got acclaim with less than half the content of GT5 and worse physics than GT5 let alone GT6.

Hard to praise developers for free DLC when the games they release are light on content. I mean, of course the GTS updates are free. Look at what it launched with. Same as when people say Hello Games deserve praise for post launch NMS support... no they don’t. Or whoever is working on the Master Queef Collection for all that games updates and improvements. In all three cases, the free updates have just pretty much made the games what they should have been at launch.

GOWTLOZ said:

I've seen it happen with Rainbow 6: Siege, For Honor and No Man's Sky that the media is initially against these games and don't like them due to lacking content but with enough content updates they change their minds. GT Sport released last year and the only complaints were relating to the lack of content.

GT Sport didn't have a campaign and lacked in the number of cars and tracks. There are 50 new cars in the next 9 months and like 5 new tracks with new versions of existing tracks. There is an entire fully featured campaign. Its getting new cars and track at the end of July. No one seems to care. What's going on? It'll likely have another 40 cars this year and lots of tracks.

I don't see why the media isn't re reviewing the game. The old reviews are utterly outdated. They have done it for Rainbow 6 and are doing it with lots of games. Its time they do it to GT Sport.

It is having great legs continuing to sell really good.   I think that speaks for itself ;)

GOWTLOZ said:
DonFerrari said:

Considering a lot of races are limited to a single car, or to a class of car with performance points balancing, even with microtransaction (which I don't like, but if people want to expend extra money to not play the game, there is a lot of games that offer it) the balance won't be broken unless PD start doing unbalanced performance balancing which would be a bigger problem than the microtransaction.

Apparently it was FIA themselves which pushed MTs in GT Sport. I would have to look into it more but that's what I'm hearing.

flashfire926 said:

Does that really matter when Forza has 700+ plus cars on disc (plus a couple here and there they give for free) ?

Despite all the free dlc, GT sport still stands at 237 cars. How did the paid dlc affect your enjoyment? 

also my issue is with the outright lies, not the implementation of the mt's, to be clear.

I know Forza has tons of cars, including stuff like trucks and buggies that have no place in a motorsports game.

Paid DLC affects my enjoyment because I feel I'm not getting the full package, even if the base game has lots of cars most are meh and some of the paid ones I want to drive.

Ofc if you care about cars and tracks GT6 is the epitome of the genre, but I don't see criticism levied at Forza 7 for having 500 fewer cars than GT6.

I get what you're saying about them lying, it doesn't affect the quality of the game itself. Also GT Sport has way better physics, sounds and graphics than Forza 7, which is why I think it deserves more acclaim. Forza 7 has more content and dynamic weather and day night cycles which I like.

Its sort of similar to the GT6 versus FM4 debate, GT6 had more cars, tracks, dynamic weather and day night cycles but also had better physics. Forza 4 had more consistent quality of cars, better sounds and graphics. Still GT6 was criticised for what it lacked compared to Forza 4 rather than where it was better and Forza got acclaim with less than half the content of GT5 and worse physics than GT5 let alone GT6.

Crazy that FIA would be demanding it....

LudicrousSpeed said:
Hard to praise developers for free DLC when the games they release are light on content. I mean, of course the GTS updates are free. Look at what it launched with. Same as when people say Hello Games deserve praise for post launch NMS support... no they don’t. Or whoever is working on the Master Queef Collection for all that games updates and improvements. In all three cases, the free updates have just pretty much made the games what they should have been at launch.

When a lot of the early buyers were satisfied with the content then the free DLC is indeed bonus and deserve praise. How many of the FM5 DLCs were free?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said: 
flashfire926 said:

1) Paid DLC affects my enjoyment because I feel I'm not getting the full package, even if the base game has lots of cars most are meh and some of the paid ones I want to drive.

2) Ofc if you care about cars and tracks GT6 is the epitome of the genre, but I don't see criticism levied at Forza 7 for having 500 fewer cars than GT6.

3) I get what you're saying about them lying, it doesn't affect the quality of the game itself. Also GT Sport has way better physics, sounds and graphics than Forza 7, which is why I think it deserves more acclaim. Forza 7 has more content and dynamic weather and day night cycles which I like.

4) Its sort of similar to the GT6 versus FM4 debate, GT6 had more cars, tracks, dynamic weather and day night cycles but also had better physics. Forza 4 had more consistent quality of cars, better sounds and graphics. Still GT6 was criticised for what it lacked compared to Forza 4 rather than where it was better and Forza got acclaim with less than half the content of GT5 and worse physics than GT5 let alone GT6.

I'm numbering your statements so it will be easier for me to reply

1) Elaborate on why you think the car roster is meh.. This is probably most well-rounded roster. From hypercars, to utes, to nascars, to GT-like hatchbacks, to Formula-E, to open wheelers, there is something for everyone. 

2) GT6 and Forza 7 are games from different timeframes, that's why they are not compared. Forza 5 was the game that was compared with GT6, and it was rightfully bashed for having way less content, just like GT sport is right now.

3) Though GT has come a long way, it can be on and off sometimes (for example the newly-added Madza 787B is quite a bit off when compared to real life) Forza still has the better sounds (it's not just me who says this, it's most of the general consensus). Though GT Sport isnt a slouch, either.

3) Yes, GT sport has better physics and graphics Way-better might be a stretch, since it's not like Forza is lacking in either of those departments, but I get the point. Infact in some areas Forza actually looks somewhat better (like the skies). They are both beautiful looking games.

4) I would disagree here. In GT5/GT6 more than half the cars were PS2 models, which looked way worse than the Forza 4 models. The unbalanced car list heavily leaned towards Japanese hatchbacks and kei cars. The difference between Forza 7 and GT sport is much smaller than that. Some of the tracks in GT5/GT6 (particularly the fictional ones) looked very dated, even at launch, compared to fictional tracks of forza 4. The difference between the tracks in GTS/FM7 is miniscule compared to that. The push for dynamic time/weather often tanked the framerate in GT5/GT6, unlike Forza 7. Those games were also bashed for the ridiculous paint chip system, and no livery editor, as well, along with other things. This comparison doesnt make any sense when Forza 7 wasnt nearly as lacking as those two games were.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
GOWTLOZ said: 

1) Paid DLC affects my enjoyment because I feel I'm not getting the full package, even if the base game has lots of cars most are meh and some of the paid ones I want to drive.

2) Ofc if you care about cars and tracks GT6 is the epitome of the genre, but I don't see criticism levied at Forza 7 for having 500 fewer cars than GT6.

3) I get what you're saying about them lying, it doesn't affect the quality of the game itself. Also GT Sport has way better physics, sounds and graphics than Forza 7, which is why I think it deserves more acclaim. Forza 7 has more content and dynamic weather and day night cycles which I like.

4) Its sort of similar to the GT6 versus FM4 debate, GT6 had more cars, tracks, dynamic weather and day night cycles but also had better physics. Forza 4 had more consistent quality of cars, better sounds and graphics. Still GT6 was criticised for what it lacked compared to Forza 4 rather than where it was better and Forza got acclaim with less than half the content of GT5 and worse physics than GT5 let alone GT6.

I'm numbering your statements so it will be easier for me to reply

1) Elaborate on why you think the car roster is meh.. This is probably most well-rounded roster. From hypercars, to utes, to nascars, to GT-like hatchbacks, to Formula-E, to open wheelers, there is something for everyone. 

2) GT6 and Forza 7 are games from different timeframes, that's why they are not compared. Forza 5 was the game that was compared with GT6, and it was rightfully bashed for having way less content, just like GT sport is right now.

3) Though GT has come a long way, it can be on and off sometimes (for example the newly-added Madza 787B is quite a bit off when compared to real life) Forza still has the better sounds (it's not just me who says this, it's most of the general consensus). Though GT Sport isnt a slouch, either.

3) Yes, GT sport has better physics and graphics Way-better might be a stretch, since it's not like Forza is lacking in either of those departments, but I get the point. Infact in some areas Forza actually looks somewhat better (like the skies). They are both beautiful looking games.

4) I would disagree here. In GT5/GT6 more than half the cars were PS2 models, which looked way worse than the Forza 4 models. The unbalanced car list heavily leaned towards Japanese hatchbacks and kei cars. The difference between Forza 7 and GT sport is much smaller than that. Some of the tracks in GT5/GT6 (particularly the fictional ones) looked very dated, even at launch, compared to fictional tracks of forza 4. The difference between the tracks in GTS/FM7 is miniscule compared to that. The push for dynamic time/weather often tanked the framerate in GT5/GT6, unlike Forza 7. Those games were also bashed for the ridiculous paint chip system, and no livery editor, as well, along with other things. This comparison doesnt make any sense when Forza 7 wasnt nearly as lacking as those two games were.

Fair comparison even if they are more like priorities and alignments of both studios.

GT was about collecting more and more cars and not taking out the older ones (even more when you could do almost all races without using the old models) and doing the best driving simulation of them, plus pushing graphics to the limit on new content.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

flashfire926 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

The DLC in Forza for the most part is always top notch and reasonably priced and since it only has a four year life cycle its on sale fairly often so even if think its somewhat overpriced all you have to do is wait a couple of month for it to be on sale.

GOWTLOZ said:
DonFerrari said:

flashfire926 said:

GT6 is not the epitome of that genre since over half of the cars are standard cars that most people despise and on top of that it has a ton of duplicate cars.  Inside Sim Racing was 100% accurate when they said that most of GT6's car roster is very stale.  Also the majority of the new cars they added showed up in FM4 first. 

DonFerrari said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Crazy that FIA would be demanding it....

LudicrousSpeed said:

When a lot of the early buyers were satisfied with the content then the free DLC is indeed bonus and deserve praise. How many of the FM5 DLCs were free?

FM5 had some free DLC and two free tracks but bringing that game up now it pointless since it have been delisted for almost a year already.