By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does GT not get any acclaim in mainstream media?

If you actually like cars which is one of the main reasons anyone plays racing games then Forza is still by far the best they keep on adding new cars first and have the widest variety of cars the latest addition the Austin Martin AMR1 just further proofs that fact.

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:
Azzanation said:

I also find it funny. I just dont understand how some people wont accept that a high profile game recieved bad reviews and will stick up for it no matter what and demand justice and full on investigations as to why.. even though this gen has been very stricked on games lacking the basics. Than calling other people out when majority even say FM5 received the similar criticism and agree with all of it.

But no.. can't do that to a PS game especially GT, its a 10/10 RGOTY. It is superior to everything on the market because.. because of sales.

I really dont know anymore. I just scratch my head confused.

GT Sport already has more content than Forza 5. But in terms of gameplay, its ahead of any Forza game, even 7. The physics, sounds and visuals are far, far ahead of Forza 5. There are also Vision GT cars that are insightful to the future of the automotive industry and to some of the wildest imaginations of car manufacturers. Casuals may not notice but the hardcore do.

Not to mention the online penalty systems, sportsmanship ratings and driver ratings that allow for competitive and fair matches without whack ass rammers ruining the game for everybody. Its a big deal, but of course you need to play the game to know that ;)

Forza is perpetually filled with rammers, rarely have I found myself in a race without rammers ruining the fun. That goes for the PC version of Forza 7 and I would assume it does for Forza 5 because that game didn't have anything like the same. So yes, GT Sport deserves monumentally more praise than Forza 5.

DonFerrari said:

I'll try to help you once again.

People who stick with GT "no matter what" is because they still like to play the game on its current release, simple as that. And their demand for better reviews is that it have one that reflects what the game propose to do and in it the game excels, instead of what the reviewer would like the game to be.

Amen, brother.

flashfire926 said:

1) After doing a final check, GT6 had 3888 premium cars after dlc. So basically a negligible difference between it and for 3.

2) The game should be praised for launching devoid of content, and then dripfeeding us that content that should've been there launch. It was launched unfinished. This is Sea of Theives all over again, except now it's okay because it's Sony and gran turismo?

3) Yeah, Assetto can probably beat forza 7 over time, but only because a new forza game launches every year, cutting the legs of the last one significantly.

3) No, your example doesn't make sense when ps only has one-two good sims on its console as well. Also, it's not a assumption, stats show most GT sales for GT come from Europe. So it's obvious that ps being a huge in Europe is a primary factor for it doing so well. Infact, GT sport bombed in North America. It was 11th in its debut NPD, and has not been seen ever since. The price dipped to $20 not much after launch.

4) Why would you make this thread if the only answer you would take was "reviewers and mainstream media is stupid"? If you already know the answer yourself and are sure you won't change your mind, why make this thread? If your mindset is "GT could do no wrong" than why bother? 

5) No one said Forza 5 is fine. It was bashed by everyone, even Forza fans. And it's not just the cars and tracks, it's the campaign mode. GT quickly put one in, and it's decent for a knee jerk reaction, but it doesn't come close to Forza or past GT games. GT6 has many other flaws that put it behind the Forza games. GT physics might be better, but it's not like Forza physics are a slouch or something. Same goes for graphics.

6) and that's when you know you've lost the argument, when you start jabbing at the person instead of the opinion.

1) You sure it 3888 ;)

Jk I get your point, its almost as big as Forza 3 by itself. Standard cars are still playable though, and some of them have quite good looking exteriors in GT 6 factoring in those race cars which had standard models.

2) Not the same thing. Sea of Thieves lacks a compelling gameplay loop, just a few mission designs and one fucking enemy on land at release. On the contrary even you'll not be able to get all the cars in GT Sport in a year of playing while they keep adding more. It also has a far more compelling gameplay loop, owing to the addictive gameplay of sim racers in general and the way better multiplayer and the lack of any gameplay variety in Sea of Thieves.

3) GT was always way bigger in Europe than in North America. You do realise that Forza 7 flopped in North America? Its at just half a million on Xbox One at retail, how is that a big number whatsover? This point of yours works against you, looks like Forza isn't big anywhere. Atleast GT is big in Europe. Btw GT Sport has still sold nearly as much as Forza 7 in NA, so should I say NA has a Forza bias by your logic.

4) Here you are obviously overlooking everything I pointed out. The physics, the sounds, the visuals, the online modes, everything is lacking in Forza 7 compared to not just GT Sport but also PC2. Its the weakest sim racer of 2017, and apart from some glowing reviews and a good campaign it has nothing else going for it in the departments that really matter, which I REPEAT are - PHYSICS, SOUNDS, VISUALS and ONLINE.

5) GT 6 is a flawed game sure but if you care just about the content which is your major point on why GT Sport is worse than Forza 7, then you should love GT 6 by that factor ;)

I'll say this, I love GT 6, and its flawed but that's because its incredibly ambitious for a PS3 game. Its physics are far above any other game last gen, the graphics can be mind blowing at times, there is a fucking track visualiser, some fucking lunar missions, introduced Vision GT which is by far the coolest feature in sim racing games in a while, had dynamic weather and day night cycles, 70+ track layouts and the crazy ass Red Bulls all in a fucking PS3 game.

Also Circuito de la Sierra track is my favourite fictional track in a game. Its 27 km long! And its a damn good track.

6) I said that because I couldn't stand you and Azzanation completely overlooking the stuff I have repeatedly said in point 4) and its irritating when someone skips over your main points in an argument and just assumes things like me calling the media stupid. I never said that so don't put words in my mouth.

2) At launch of GT sport the amount of content was way short, and it got boring fast due to repetition in tracks. Sure, you couldn't play all the cars of GT sport, but you don't need to either, as many of them are duplicates Some of these cars have 3-4 reskin variants that were probably made to fluff the car count (bmw m4, jaguar f-type, mustang 2015, acura nsx, etc)

3) "flop" has a different meaning for the two franchises. There have been 5 forza games this gen, so ofcourse all of them sell less than GT Sport. Forza is accustomed to getting those types of sales, while GT usually get's way more. Forza is more about incremental upgrades, so not nearly as many resources are used when they take a lot of the stuff from the previous game. Turn 10/Playground just want you to play forza, no matter what game it is. And they were successful at it, cause 22 million people played some kind of Forza in 2017.

Yes, the online is weak right now. Even Turn 10 acknowledged it. They are working on fixing it.

4) So are you saying forza visuals are bad? Because they aren't, and they're actually better than PCars2, and only a bit behind Gran Turismo. Pcars and Forza and aiming for different things when it comes to physics, so they can't be compared. Pcars aim is ultra-realism, while Forza is aimed to be more forgiving. All three games have stellar physics. GT Sport is the weakest of the three, because despite being a bit better and physics and graphics, it throws out a lot from past GT games. Proper tuning/Upgrades, B-Spec, proper career, dynamic time of day, weather and more are all thrown out the window. And are you saying CONTENT isn't a department that matters? How about SINGLE PLAYER? How long would you play the best sim racer of all time, except if it only had one car and one track?

And did you even read my #4? You didn't even answer the question.

5) Well, I am critical of GT6, but I've gotta agree with you, it was a lot a lot of fun when I played. For all of it's downfalls, it was still a pretty decent game. I actually loved Circuito De La Sierra too, one of my favorite fictional tracks.

6) We aren't overlooking what you say, we have already addressed it thoroughly. Yet you keep repeating the same points, which is confusing to us. Let me reiterate:

-Graphics: FM7 is an awesome looking in it's own right. Just because it's a bit worse than GT, doesn't make it "bad".

-Physics: Basically the same thing I said about Graphics

-Online: Yes, it needs to be fixed, and is a major flaw for the game rn.

Again, why bother making this thread you think it's set in stone that GT is the best game ever?

Why does GT not get any acclaim in mainstream media?

This is the question you asked, and we thoroughly answered it. 

You asked this question, then you decided it to answer it yourself by saying "mainstream media are not the hardcore community ", etc etc. If you "knew" the answer, why did you even make this thread?

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

GT Sport already has more content than Forza 5. But in terms of gameplay, its ahead of any Forza game, even 7. The physics, sounds and visuals are far, far ahead of Forza 5. There are also Vision GT cars that are insightful to the future of the automotive industry and to some of the wildest imaginations of car manufacturers. Casuals may not notice but the hardcore do.

Not to mention the online penalty systems, sportsmanship ratings and driver ratings that allow for competitive and fair matches without whack ass rammers ruining the game for everybody. Its a big deal, but of course you need to play the game to know that ;)

Forza is perpetually filled with rammers, rarely have I found myself in a race without rammers ruining the fun. That goes for the PC version of Forza 7 and I would assume it does for Forza 5 because that game didn't have anything like the same. So yes, GT Sport deserves monumentally more praise than Forza 5.

Amen, brother.

1) You sure it 3888 ;)

Jk I get your point, its almost as big as Forza 3 by itself. Standard cars are still playable though, and some of them have quite good looking exteriors in GT 6 factoring in those race cars which had standard models.

2) Not the same thing. Sea of Thieves lacks a compelling gameplay loop, just a few mission designs and one fucking enemy on land at release. On the contrary even you'll not be able to get all the cars in GT Sport in a year of playing while they keep adding more. It also has a far more compelling gameplay loop, owing to the addictive gameplay of sim racers in general and the way better multiplayer and the lack of any gameplay variety in Sea of Thieves.

3) GT was always way bigger in Europe than in North America. You do realise that Forza 7 flopped in North America? Its at just half a million on Xbox One at retail, how is that a big number whatsover? This point of yours works against you, looks like Forza isn't big anywhere. Atleast GT is big in Europe. Btw GT Sport has still sold nearly as much as Forza 7 in NA, so should I say NA has a Forza bias by your logic.

4) Here you are obviously overlooking everything I pointed out. The physics, the sounds, the visuals, the online modes, everything is lacking in Forza 7 compared to not just GT Sport but also PC2. Its the weakest sim racer of 2017, and apart from some glowing reviews and a good campaign it has nothing else going for it in the departments that really matter, which I REPEAT are - PHYSICS, SOUNDS, VISUALS and ONLINE.

5) GT 6 is a flawed game sure but if you care just about the content which is your major point on why GT Sport is worse than Forza 7, then you should love GT 6 by that factor ;)

I'll say this, I love GT 6, and its flawed but that's because its incredibly ambitious for a PS3 game. Its physics are far above any other game last gen, the graphics can be mind blowing at times, there is a fucking track visualiser, some fucking lunar missions, introduced Vision GT which is by far the coolest feature in sim racing games in a while, had dynamic weather and day night cycles, 70+ track layouts and the crazy ass Red Bulls all in a fucking PS3 game.

Also Circuito de la Sierra track is my favourite fictional track in a game. Its 27 km long! And its a damn good track.

6) I said that because I couldn't stand you and Azzanation completely overlooking the stuff I have repeatedly said in point 4) and its irritating when someone skips over your main points in an argument and just assumes things like me calling the media stupid. I never said that so don't put words in my mouth.

2) At launch of GT sport the amount of content was way short, and it got boring fast due to repetition in tracks. Sure, you couldn't play all the cars of GT sport, but you don't need to either, as many of them are duplicates Some of these cars have 3-4 reskin variants that were probably made to fluff the car count (bmw m4, jaguar f-type, mustang 2015, acura nsx, etc)

3) "flop" has a different meaning for the two franchises. There have been 5 forza games this gen, so ofcourse all of them sell less than GT Sport. Forza is accustomed to getting those types of sales, while GT usually get's way more. Forza is more about incremental upgrades, so not nearly as many resources are used when they take a lot of the stuff from the previous game. Turn 10/Playground just want you to play forza, no matter what game it is. And they were successful at it, cause 22 million people played some kind of Forza in 2017.

Yes, the online is weak right now. Even Turn 10 acknowledged it. They are working on fixing it.

4) So are you saying forza visuals are bad? Because they aren't, and they're actually better than PCars2, and only a bit behind Gran Turismo. Pcars and Forza and aiming for different things when it comes to physics, so they can't be compared. Pcars aim is ultra-realism, while Forza is aimed to be more forgiving. All three games have stellar physics. GT Sport is the weakest of the three, because despite being a bit better and physics and graphics, it throws out a lot from past GT games. Proper tuning/Upgrades, B-Spec, proper career, dynamic time of day, weather and more are all thrown out the window. And are you saying CONTENT isn't a department that matters? How about SINGLE PLAYER? How long would you play the best sim racer of all time, except if it only had one car and one track?

5) Well, I am critical of GT6, but I've gotta agree with you, it was a lot a lot of fun when I played. For all of it's downfalls, it was still a pretty decent game. I actually loved Circuito De La Sierra too, one of my favorite fictional tracks.

6) We aren't overlooking what you say, we have already addressed it thoroughly. Yet you keep repeating the same points, which is confusing to us. Let me reiterate:

-Graphics: FM7 is an awesome looking in it's own right. Just because it's a bit worse than GT, doesn't make it "bad".

Again, why bother making this thread you think it's set in stone that GT is the best game ever?

You asked this question, then you decided it to answer it yourself by saying "mainstream media are not the hardcore community ", etc etc. If you "knew" the answer, why did you even make this thread?

I have already debunked the "Forza sells less because it release more often". Fifa 14-18 is there to prove it, as was Rock Band, Guitar Hero, AC, CoD, etc...

They have rise and some drop not because people bought one and then didn't need the rest, most of those have had the userbase buying all entries. Some burned because they were even less than 1 year separation between titles and other for stagnation.

But nope, if there were only a single Forza this gen it wouldn't sell 15M (nor in the last gen, even sum of the 3 FM barely would do it).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
flashfire926 said:

I have already debunked the "Forza sells less because it release more often". Fifa 14-18 is there to prove it, as was Rock Band, Guitar Hero, AC, CoD, etc...

They have rise and some drop not because people bought one and then didn't need the rest, most of those have had the userbase buying all entries. Some burned because they were even less than 1 year separation between titles and other for stagnation.

But nope, if there were only a single Forza this gen it wouldn't sell 15M (nor in the last gen, even sum of the 3 FM barely would do it).

??? 

Racing games are nowhere as popular as all these genres. You can't draw equivalencies from those mainstream genres. 

And anyways, if there was only one Fifa this gen that would be updated over the years, it would sell way more than any singular game from fifa 14-18. It's undeniable. Look at how much GTA V has sold more than any COD, because it doesn't have a yearly release that cuts the legs.

How were some burned when it was already established a forza comes out year? That's like saying someone was burned for buying COD WWII or Fifa 18 when they knew a game was coming next year.

I never said Forza would be selling 15 million or anything, but will probably cross 6-7M if MS only makes one motorsport and keeps updating it for multiple years. 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
DonFerrari said:

??? 

Racing games are nowhere as popular as all these genres. You can't draw equivalencies from those mainstream genres. 

And anyways, if there was only one Fifa this gen that would be updated over the years, it would sell way more than any singular game from fifa 14-18. It's undeniable. Look at how much GTA V has sold more than any COD, because it doesn't have a yearly release that cuts the legs.

How were some burned when it was already established a forza comes out year? That's like saying someone was burned for buying COD WWII or Fifa 18 when they knew a game was coming next year.

I never said Forza would be selling 15 million or anything, but will probably cross 6-7M if MS only makes one motorsport and keeps updating it for multiple years. 

Forza comes every 2 year, FM and FH aren't the same game. CoD, Fifa and a lot of other yearly titles still hold pretty nice numbers, perhaps they would increase with only 1 game a gen, perhaps, but nowhere near what you think that would make FM outsell GT out of it.

Most sales of almost any game happens on the first week and month, hardly any impact due to every 2 years release. If it really did impact as much as you think (you are basically having 1 FM selling almost as much as 3 FMs on your math) they wouldn't need to release 3 games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Amen, brother.

1) You sure it 3888 ;)

6) owww I had plenty discussions like this, and when you list 10 points and the person realizes he lost all he will invent a new point and loop back.

I've had it before on this site as well, but its infuriating even on the 50th time it happens.

Chris Hu said:
If you actually like cars which is one of the main reasons anyone plays racing games then Forza is still by far the best they keep on adding new cars first and have the widest variety of cars the latest addition the Austin Martin AMR1 just further proofs that fact.

Yet its Polyphony who has designed a real car in Citroen GT, but Turn 10 never did ;)

Also its Polyphony who has the Vision GT program, the Mercedes F1 W08 and the Red Bulls. Those cars weren't designed by Polyphony mind you, but by real car manufacturers so those fictional cars aren't entirely implausible. I'd say Forza 7 has more of the historic cars that people want owing to its larger roster, while GT Sport looks more to the future than the past.

flashfire926 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Amen, brother.

1) You sure it 3888 ;)

2) It still wasn't as boring as Sea of Thieves, which really just had an empty sea to explore with a few islands and the gameplay loop centers around finding loot and cosmetic items, there is no real progression at all. GT Sport had progression right from the beginning and even at release was more of a complete game than Sea of Thieves.

3) I wouldn't put Forza Horizon into the mix, different genre and I absolutely love Forza Horizon 3. To put it in the same category as Forza Motorsport undermines what type of game it is, it doesn't cater to the same audience as Forza, PC and GT.

As for Forza Motorsport, sales are steadily declining. Its a different story from the Forza Horizon games which are becoming more popular. You can't compare GT Sport to past GT games and point at the decline in sales and not do the same for Forza Motorsport 7. Even Project Cars 2 isn't doing that well. Might be that people are moving on from sim racers and maybe its something else but none of the games are flourishing.

4) Never said they were bad, but the visual standards of sim racers are really high, and Forza 7 doesn't look as realistic as PC2 atleast in my opinion but I digress, its close between the two. Forza 7's simulation is the weakest of the 3, sure GT Sport is no PC2 but its still well above Forza 7. GT Sport is better than both in terms of online modes and online races provide more of a challenge than any single player race can hence its more competitive. The reason I don't think its the weakest is that it succeeds in the core aspect of a sim racer, the simulation moreso than Forza 7 and is the most competitive sim racer that doesn't require a monthly subscription while still having enough content to satisfy most people, and it has the sounds and visuals on point. I can't stress enough what a difference penalty system makes to online races.

6) Again, not saying Forza 7 is a bad game, its a good game. All of them are, the bar is set really high in the genre and all of them deliver in their own ways to an extent.

The reason for this topic is that GT Sport deserves a rereview because its a different beast from what it was at release. A rereview isn't something new, recently No Man's Sky got a rereview and I'd like to see GT Sport get it sometime as well to better reflect its post release quality.

GOWTLOZ said:

GTS launched with less content than Forza 5 which was heavily criticized for lacking modes and cars. So its score makes sense. GTS also never launched with a campaign mode, a big thing that crucified games like SFV and Killer Instinct.

https://wccftech.com/gran-turismo-sport-career-mode/

One of the biggest flaws to your very own argument is how you compare GTS to FM5 visually.. did you exclude the main fact of the games time periods? FM5 was the first next gen racing game offering (at the time) the best of everything. It failed to acclaim status due to the very main thing GTS failed to achieve, an actual game package worth playing.

Forza has rammers, however i have played GTS (nice try) and that penalty system sucks, iv been penalized multiple times by other racers hitting me, its an interesting concept but flawed in its own ways.

GTS isnt owning anything its 2nd rate with Forza when it comes to simulation compared to PC2 and AC and atleast Forza offers the best game package out of the lot. Its a car enthusiast dream.

Nothing wrong with you liking GTS much like Don saying the game is a 10/10 in another thread however its criticism stands as to what PD offered at the gate, not years down the line. Thats just the way it is.

Who did a re-review of No Mans Sky?

Azzanation said:
GOWTLOZ said:

GTS launched with less content than Forza 5 which was heavily criticized for lacking modes and cars. So its score makes sense. GTS also never launched with a campaign mode, a big thing that crucified games like SFV and Killer Instinct.

One of the biggest flaws to your very own argument is how you compare GTS to FM5 visually.. did you exclude the main fact of the games time periods? FM5 was the first next gen racing game offering (at the time) the best of everything. It failed to acclaim status due to the very main thing GTS failed to achieve, an actual game package worth playing.

Forza has rammers, however i have played GTS (nice try) and that penalty system sucks, iv been penalized multiple times by other racers hitting me, its an interesting concept but flawed in its own ways.

GTS isnt owning anything its 2nd rate with Forza when it comes to simulation compared to PC2 and AC and atleast Forza offers the best game package out of the lot. Its a car enthusiast dream.

Nothing wrong with you liking GTS much like Don saying the game is a 10/10 in another thread however its criticism stands as to what PD offered at the gate, not years down the line. Thats just the way it is.

There are currently 238 cars and 44 circuits in GT Sport, far more than Forza 5 which had just above 200 cars and a measly 14 circuits.

I know it didn't release with a career mode, but it does have one now. This OP is asking for a rereview, do you not read? Also, SF 5 got a rereview with the arcade edition from several outlets, reinforcing my point.

GT Sport's penalty system isn't perfect and what you said has happened with me too, but its way better than no penalties at all. The contacts that happen are either unintentional else punishable which prevents it from becoming Wreckfest Online. There is a driver and sportsmanship rating which makes for a better matchmaking and more competitive races. The FIA Championships are fantastic as well.

Its not there with PC2 in physics but its better than Forza 7. Even GT 6 has better physics than Forza 7. Its insane how far behind Turn 10 is in terms of the meat of the experience, the physics with 13 years of experience.

Again, car enthusiast's dream? GT 6 has more and better car roster, pretty much only lacking in Porsche cars but beats Forza 7 in everything else. Even GT Sport beats it in visionary cars with the Vision GT, X2014 and Citroen Gran Tourer. Forza does have more historic cars than GT Sport I'll give it that, and more cars in general, but if that's all you care for you're better off playing GT 6.

I wouldn't say GT Sport is a 10 on 10, probably never will be as I acknowledge its a flawed game. But its deserving of far more praise than it did at release and reviews should reflect it.

Azzanation said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Didn't know you had played GTS online. Must have missed you online. But since you never gave me your gamertag I wouldn't know if I found you in game.

If you are talking all racing them DriveClub beat FM5 on graphics, day night, weather cycle, online racing. So you may reduce that to simulators only, and since it would be competing alone for some year or 2, them you could claim it was the best of all (even if it meant only itself).