By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does GT not get any acclaim in mainstream media?

Odd, I have spend almost 20 hours on the non existent 'campaign' mode at launch before going online. Longer than it took to complete FH1.

I still play GTS daily and have recently crossed 1000 hours time driven. Sure the penalty system is far from perfect, neither is the SR system. Yet when you drive respecting others you'll find a great community. Avoid the bad apples and your safety rating will keep matching you with the good ones. Sport mode is so addictive I haven't payed attention to the 'campaign' additions anymore.

There are still between 30k and 40k daily active players which is of course nothing compared to Fortnite, yet try to find a good online race within a few minutes in any other racing game.

The one thing I hope PD changes back is daily race rotation instead of now weekly. A week for the same 3 tracks is rather long.

Azzanation, you must have seen me in the game if you've played. I've played sport mode every day, usually between 7pm and 9:30 pm, then more after 11pm. I'm always in the top end rooms though with max SR and DR of B or higher. I'll be on Big Willow and Interlagos tonight.

Around the Network

DonFerrari said:

Didn't know you had played GTS online. Must have missed you online. But since you never gave me your gamertag I wouldn't know if I found you in game.

If you are talking all racing them DriveClub beat FM5 on graphics, day night, weather cycle, online racing. So you may reduce that to simulators only, and since it would be competing alone for some year or 2, them you could claim it was the best of all (even if it meant only itself).

DC also came out after FM5 and also got criticized for its content. So there's another game to prove to you that you cannot release under par games and get away with it.

GOWTLOZ said:

There are currently 238 cars and 44 circuits in GT Sport, far more than Forza 5 which had just above 200 cars and a measly 14 circuits.

I know it didn't release with a career mode, but it does have one now. This OP is asking for a rereview, do you not read? Also, SF 5 got a rereview with the arcade edition from several outlets, reinforcing my point.

GT Sport's penalty system isn't perfect and what you said has happened with me too, but its way better than no penalties at all. The contacts that happen are either unintentional else punishable which prevents it from becoming Wreckfest Online. There is a driver and sportsmanship rating which makes for a better matchmaking and more competitive races. The FIA Championships are fantastic as well.

Its not there with PC2 in physics but its better than Forza 7. Even GT 6 has better physics than Forza 7. Its insane how far behind Turn 10 is in terms of the meat of the experience, the physics with 13 years of experience.

Again, car enthusiast's dream? GT 6 has more and better car roster, pretty much only lacking in Porsche cars but beats Forza 7 in everything else. Even GT Sport beats it in visionary cars with the Vision GT, X2014 and Citroen Gran Tourer. Forza does have more historic cars than GT Sport I'll give it that, and more cars in general, but if that's all you care for you're better off playing GT 6.

I wouldn't say GT Sport is a 10 on 10, probably never will be as I acknowledge its a flawed game. But its deserving of far more praise than it did at release and reviews should reflect it.

Umm.. GTS has the content NOW, not at launch where FM5 surpassed it at launch, and that game is 4 years old. If you want a re-review of GTS than we should re-review all the games that came out lacking in content. GTS doesn't deserve to be treated differently.

And now you lost a lot of credibility, GT might have better sim physics but never had better crash physics than FM, and the sound... heck only GTS now is debatable with the sound to FM, something Forza has been doing for generations. Turn 10 chose to go with what is fun and that's not a bad thing. If you want a pure driving Sim than PC1 and PC2 is the real driving sim. Sorry if I busted your bubble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeal56aGDag&t=219s

^GTS vs FM6 vs PC2 and look at that realistic simulation crash damage from GTS, bumper cars anyone?

Need more proof?

Last edited by Azzanation - on 07 August 2018

Azzanation said:

DonFerrari said:

Didn't know you had played GTS online. Must have missed you online. But since you never gave me your gamertag I wouldn't know if I found you in game.

If you are talking all racing them DriveClub beat FM5 on graphics, day night, weather cycle, online racing. So you may reduce that to simulators only, and since it would be competing alone for some year or 2, them you could claim it was the best of all (even if it meant only itself).

DC also came out after FM5 and also got criticized for its content. So there's another game to prove to you that you cannot release under par games and get away with it.

GOWTLOZ said:

There are currently 238 cars and 44 circuits in GT Sport, far more than Forza 5 which had just above 200 cars and a measly 14 circuits.

I know it didn't release with a career mode, but it does have one now. This OP is asking for a rereview, do you not read? Also, SF 5 got a rereview with the arcade edition from several outlets, reinforcing my point.

GT Sport's penalty system isn't perfect and what you said has happened with me too, but its way better than no penalties at all. The contacts that happen are either unintentional else punishable which prevents it from becoming Wreckfest Online. There is a driver and sportsmanship rating which makes for a better matchmaking and more competitive races. The FIA Championships are fantastic as well.

Its not there with PC2 in physics but its better than Forza 7. Even GT 6 has better physics than Forza 7. Its insane how far behind Turn 10 is in terms of the meat of the experience, the physics with 13 years of experience.

Again, car enthusiast's dream? GT 6 has more and better car roster, pretty much only lacking in Porsche cars but beats Forza 7 in everything else. Even GT Sport beats it in visionary cars with the Vision GT, X2014 and Citroen Gran Tourer. Forza does have more historic cars than GT Sport I'll give it that, and more cars in general, but if that's all you care for you're better off playing GT 6.

I wouldn't say GT Sport is a 10 on 10, probably never will be as I acknowledge its a flawed game. But its deserving of far more praise than it did at release and reviews should reflect it.

Umm.. GTS has the content NOW, not at launch where FM5 surpassed it at launch, and that game is 4 years old. If you want a re-review of GTS than we should re-review all the games that came out lacking in content. GTS doesn't deserve to be treated differently.

And now you lost a lot of credibility, GT never had better crash physics than FM, and the sound... heck only GTS now is debatable with the sound to FM, something Forza has been doing for generations. Sorry if I busted your bubble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeal56aGDag&t=219s

^GTS vs FM6 vs PC2 and look at those bumper car crashes.

Need more proof?

FM5 launched with the console, very few SW launch together, so you trying to put DC as out of launch window just to make FM5 sole game to claim it was the best is funny. But good that you just deviated from the point.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

FM5 launched with the console, very few SW launch together, so you trying to put DC as out of launch window just to make FM5 sole game to claim it was the best is funny. But good that you just deviated from the point.

What are you talking about? FM5 came out on Nov 22 2013, DC came out in 7 Oct 2014. One was a launch title one wasn't.

Plus FM5 at launch was the first next gen racer. Of course DC looked better but it wasn't inline with FM5, it was more inline with Forza Horizon 2 which release in 30 Sept 2014.

Damn you make me facepalm with your posts sometimes, always accusing me of diverting yet you make no sense with yours.

Azzanation said:

DonFerrari said:

What are you talking about? FM5 came out on Nov 22 2013, DC came out in 7 Oct 2014. One was a launch title one wasn't.

Plus FM5 at launch was the first next gen racer. Of course DC looked better but it wasn't inline with FM5, it was more inline with Forza Horizon 2 which release in 30 Sept 2014.

First year of the console is launch window man, and DC was scheduled to release even earlier if it didn't delayed.

But then if you want to put the window on FM5 alone without any contender, what merit does your "best racing game on the generation at release" have?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

First year of the console is launch window man, and DC was scheduled to release even earlier if it didn't delayed.

But then if you want to put the window on FM5 alone without any contender, what merit does your "best racing game on the generation at release" have?

Omg.. you have a hard time understanding the point. FM5 released at the end 2013 until DC released in Oct 7 2014 nothing was like FM5. 

https://www.interactive.org/games/video_game_details.asp?idAward=2014&idGame=1323

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Omg.. you have a hard time understanding the point. FM5 released at the end 2013 until DC released in Oct 7 2014 nothing was like FM5. 

https://www.interactive.org/games/video_game_details.asp?idAward=2014&idGame=1323

Except you were proved GT6 was better than it, and launched a little earlier than it.

DC was release a year after, sure, but it was designed to be launch window title, so it had about similar time to get to market and tools to be used to develop. FM5 had a lot of big cutdowns.

But sure if it makes you so happy, FM5 was the best racing game on launch of gen 8th by the merit of being the only one.

GOWTLOZ said:

The reason for this topic is that GT Sport deserves a rereview because its a different beast from what it was at release. A rereview isn't something new, recently No Man's Sky got a rereview and I'd like to see GT Sport get it sometime as well to better reflect its post release quality.

The rest of the argument is gonna keep going in circles, so I'll narrow it down to this. The only reason SFV got re-reviews was because they released an enhanced versions. Same with NMS for Xbox.

Lets see what they have added (list isn't exhaustive)

- GT League mode (somewhat of a career mode, about 120 races)

-Adding some older cars (at launch there was only ONE CAR older than 2009), like the skylines, mclaren f1, mazda rx-7, toyota supra ,and much more

-Adding four new tracks,  (monza, le mans, tsukuba, and that new fictional circuit), as well as more layouts for existing circuits.

-Updates to physics model to make it even better, 

-More scapes, brand museums, and other miscellaneous in general

The game has improved since launch, but I think it needs another 6-8 months to get to where it needs to be. Many GT staple cars are still missing, and tracks like Spa and Laguna Seca are still baffling omissions. Penalty system can be bullshit a lot of times, and the tyre model just isn't where it needs to be.

That being said, if updates continue at this pace, I'll be on your side not too far from now.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

Except you were proved GT6 was better than it, and launched a little earlier than it.

DC was release a year after, sure, but it was designed to be launch window title, so it had about similar time to get to market and tools to be used to develop. FM5 had a lot of big cutdowns.

But sure if it makes you so happy, FM5 was the best racing game on launch of gen 8th by the merit of being the only one.

Yes Don, FM5 only won best racer for that year because it didn't have any competition.. guess all those other previous years they had no competition either. (Sarcasm)

Forza Motorsport 3 RGOTY

https://www.interactive.org/games/video_game_details.asp?idAward=2010&idGame=1078

Forza Motorsport 4 RGOTY

https://www.interactive.org/games/video_game_details.asp?idAward=2012&idGame=1208

Forza Motorsport 5 RGOTY

Forza Motorsport 6 RGOTY

https://www.interactive.org/games/video_game_details.asp?idAward=2016&idGame=1450

Forza Horizon 3 RGOTY

https://www.interactive.org/games/video_game_details.asp?idAward=2017&idGame=1484

And the only game that stopped FM7 from winning D.I.C.E's RGOTY was not a Car game but a Kart game in Mario Kart 8. 

Please lets not compare DriveClub to any Forza title, don't embarrass yourself, it sits on a lowly (71) at least lets give GTS credit, it out-reviewed DC with a (75).

And after all that info and links, you and co will still question Turn 10's quality. 

GOWTLOZ said:
Azzanation said:

GTS launched with less content than Forza 5 which was heavily criticized for lacking modes and cars. So its score makes sense. GTS also never launched with a campaign mode, a big thing that crucified games like SFV and Killer Instinct.

https://wccftech.com/gran-turismo-sport-career-mode/

One of the biggest flaws to your very own argument is how you compare GTS to FM5 visually.. did you exclude the main fact of the games time periods? FM5 was the first next gen racing game offering (at the time) the best of everything. It failed to acclaim status due to the very main thing GTS failed to achieve, an actual game package worth playing.

Forza has rammers, however i have played GTS (nice try) and that penalty system sucks, iv been penalized multiple times by other racers hitting me, its an interesting concept but flawed in its own ways.

GTS isnt owning anything its 2nd rate with Forza when it comes to simulation compared to PC2 and AC and atleast Forza offers the best game package out of the lot. Its a car enthusiast dream.

Nothing wrong with you liking GTS much like Don saying the game is a 10/10 in another thread however its criticism stands as to what PD offered at the gate, not years down the line. Thats just the way it is.

Again, GT6 leans heavily towards japanese hatchbacks, and Forza 7's selection of actual supercars leaves GT6's selection in the dust. In some way the selection in Forza is actually better.

Forza 5 has 217 cars with the free dlc included. GT Sport is higher with 238, but it as way more duplicates/reskins that even things out, if not tips the scales towards forza's favour.

You are comparing the wrong numbers when it comes to track count. You listed the total number of LAYOUTS in GT Sport compared to total number of VENUES in Forza 5.

After the free DLC, Forza 5 has 17 venues with 63 layouts, while GT Sport has 21 tracks with 65 layouts. Only slightly higher in GT's favour.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.