Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Help Me Out - Nintendo 3DS

Should I Hack the 3DS

Yes 2 16.67%

No 4 33.33%

You can do both (What is worth paying for) 5 41.67%

See Results 1 8.33%

Total:12

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Metroid: Samus Returns, and Xenoblade Chronicles are all games I can recommend.

As for the hacking, that's up to you, but I'd say you should mainly do it if you're interested in homebrew features that doesn't involve playing AAA 3DS exclusives (such as recording gameplay, using custom themes, backing up save files, or installing ROMs of retro games that aren't available via Virtual Console).

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Get Kid Icarus Uprising. Then get another copy of it.

I second that. I played that so much, I broke the shoot-button (one of the shoulder-buttons) on my first 3DS. Should have enabled auto-fire.

Also I recommend getting Etrian Odyssey, probably best to take the remakes, Etrian Odyssey Untold (there are two of them: Millenium girl and Fafnir Knight). Another good choice is Bravely Default. And Resident Evil Revelations, if haven't played on one of the million other platforms it came out since. Ah well, and Pokemon. Also Fire Emblem Awakening, that is awesome.

EDIT: I see you have Xenoblade on your list. While Xenoblade is great, it is very pixely on the 3DS. This game deserves to look it's best. That means - get it for your PC-emulator (dolphin) and play it in HD with community improved textures.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Mario 3D Land, Zelda A Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 7, Fire Emblem Awakening, Metroid Samus Returns and Luigi’s Mansion 2 are the essentials I think. The three N64 remakes, Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask are excellent as well. Professor Layton is always fun, maybe Kid Icarus if you don’t mind the strange control-scheme, or Super Smash Brothers. Definitely Resident Evil Revelations if you haven’t played it on anything else yet. Also Donkey Kong Country Returns if you like challenging sidescrollers and don’t have a Wii. In the recent years they released some other console ports, and while I don’t know how it plays on 3DS, Captain Toad is recommendable.

Seriously though. Luigi’s Mansion 2. Why hasn’t anyone mentioned that one here yet? It may very well be the system’s best game.

Also, even if you like Zelda, skip Triforce Heroes. The worst game in the franchise that doesn’t deserve to bear the name.

I personally liked DS less than 3DS, and would have less recommendations for it, as far as Zelda goes Spirit Tracks was good though and it’s Yoshi’s Island was decent.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 29 July 2018

Kid Icarus Uprising is awesome but not everybody likes the control style. (If you ever played Metroid Prime Hunters, it's similar).

Metroid Samus Returns, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Xenoblade (since you have a New 3DS) are the ones I can think of right now.

If you are into Pokemon, X and Y and Sun and Moon are good. Also, if you like classic JRPGs, the Etrian Odyssey series is a unique mix of that and old school first person dungeon crawlers, cool series. Xenoblade Chonicles on 3DS is also worth playing if you never got to play it on the Wii. Kirby Triple Deluxe and Robobot get my recommendation easily. Super Mario 3D Land is great. Samus Returns is good. Fire Emblem Awakening and Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia are good. Smash plays surprisingly well. The Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask remakes are excellent. There's a ton more I haven't played worth checking out.

Around the Network

The 3ds and ds librarys together have literally hundreds of must play titles. There are 2 Layton trilogies and ghost trick if you enjoy puzzles with a fantastic story! Rhythm heaven and eba from the DS is brilliant as music games. 

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

As someone said, don't forget to go trough the whole DS librairy too :P

Also, I would recommend the Zero Escape Series if you're into the Visual-Novel/Puzzle genre, one experience and story that you'll never find anywhere else. (I dare say the pinnacle of it's genre !)
Professor Layton and Ace Attorney are also series that are really beloved and should be worth a shot ^^

Anywoo, people already told you all the other answers ... Though, if you can get them through legit means, plz, do so first. I'm not fond of people hacking so openly.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

So by now yes I see that basically anything 1st party.  Saw fire Emblem mentioned a few times, and even New Leaf which appears on several best of lists.   First time I am hearing Luigi’s Mansion 2

Mar1217 said:
As someone said, don't forget to go trough the whole DS librairy too :P

Also, I would recommend the Zero Escape Series if you're into the Visual-Novel/Puzzle genre, one experience and story that you'll never find anywhere else. (I dare say the pinnacle of it's genre !)
Professor Layton and Ace Attorney are also series that are really beloved and should be worth a shot ^^

Anywoo, people already told you all the other answers ... Though, if you can get them through legit means, plz, do so first. I'm not fond of people hacking so openly.

I have to say I have no problem paying for physical as I am fond of physical copies of games.  I think I will take the approach where the games you guys all have at the top of your lists (top quality 1st party titles) will be bought legit.  I may use the Sky to try games that I am a little more unsure about. 

You can hack and still buy the games you want.

CosmicSex said:

So today, I bought the New 3DS XL.  It is my first Nintendo product in some time.  On one hand, I know that I can hack the system and get whatever I want, but personally, with the Vita in hand, I can get all of the retro games I want.  And I don't mind supporting developers that provide good content, so therefore purchasing games is not a problem for me.  So far I don't have anything so I am coming here to ask two questions:

1.  Should I just hack it, get a 64GB SD card and download all of the games.  

2.  If I decide to be legit, what are the best games (DS and 3DS) that I can get.  I like RPGs, Mario and other good platformers.  I obviously want to build my collection up, but what should I get.  I need a list, the best of the best.  I can get one or two at a time but go off the idea that I can only get one game every two weeks.  What should my priority be and ask me more questions if you need to know my tastes.  

Thanks in advance.  

Do you want to play some 3ds indie games like Azure Strike Gunvolt/Blaster Master Zero or Mighty Gunvolt?