By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Help Me Out - Nintendo 3DS

Should I Hack the 3DS

Yes 2 16.67%

No 4 33.33%

You can do both (What is worth paying for) 5 41.67%

See Results 1 8.33%

Total:12

So today, I bought the New 3DS XL.  It is my first Nintendo product in some time.  On one hand, I know that I can hack the system and get whatever I want, but personally, with the Vita in hand, I can get all of the retro games I want.  And I don't mind supporting developers that provide good content, so therefore purchasing games is not a problem for me.  So far I don't have anything so I am coming here to ask two questions:

1.  Should I just hack it, get a 64GB SD card and download all of the games.  

2.  If I decide to be legit, what are the best games (DS and 3DS) that I can get.  I like RPGs, Mario and other good platformers.  I obviously want to build my collection up, but what should I get.  I need a list, the best of the best.  I can get one or two at a time but go off the idea that I can only get one game every two weeks.  What should my priority be and ask me more questions if you need to know my tastes.  

Thanks in advance.  

Around the Network

Oh boy, this is gonna be an interesting thread. I'll just answer the second one. If you like RPGS, can't go wrong with Bravely Default or Bravely Second, Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII, the Pokemon games, Mario and Luigi Dream Team, Paper Mario Sticker Star isn't for everyone but I think it's fine, Tales of the Abyss 3D, etc.

You can't really go wrong with platformers from NIntendo's 1st party. Kirby Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot are great titles. If you like Zelda I highly recommend A Link Between Worlds. Kid Icarus Uprising is also an experience I wouldn't miss.

Basically, if it's Nintendo 1st party, have at it. With a few exceptions most of their games are high quality for the device. Mario 3D Land can become highly addictive, Mario Kart 7 is also a good one.

Eh, in terms of hacking it, if you must...Sky3DS is the easiest way to do so. It's not really hacking though. But as the 3DS is still being supported and games are still being sold, I don't recommend it. Especially if you're trying to go online with it as Nintendo will ban you and possibly render your console useless online.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 28 July 2018

Ljink96 said:

Wow thats a lot to take in but that is what I am looking for.  I was basically looking for a list of what I should get.  From you response, its clear that 1st part is the way to go.  Yes I Iove Zelda, it inspired my avatar. 

And btw... that Sky3DS  is wow amazing.

Do you have to install homebrew in order to use Sky?

Last edited by CosmicSex - on 28 July 2018

Get Kid Icarus Uprising. Then get another copy of it.

JWeinCom said:
Get Kid Icarus Uprising. Then get another copy of it.

Noted and I will be getting this thanks.

Around the Network

I just saw video of a game called Stella Glow.  This looks right up my alley.  Any thoughts?

My list of what to get so far:

Ever Oasis

Bravely Default

Kid Icarus 

Pokemone Ultra

Mario 3D World

Xenoblade Chronicles 

Last edited by CosmicSex - on 29 July 2018

I recommend these:
Pokemon US/UM (skip X/Y)
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Mario 3D land
Fire Emblem awakening/fates
If you have a Switch, just get mariokart 8 deluxe and skip 7.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

CosmicSex said:
Ljink96 said:

Wow thats a lot to take in but that is what I am looking for.  I was basically looking for a list of what I should get.  From you response, its clear that 1st part is the way to go.  Yes I Iove Zelda, it inspired my avatar. 

And btw... that Sky3DS  is wow amazing.

Do you have to install homebrew in order to use Sky?

No installing required, however there are limitations that sky3ds has over hacking it. You can't do anything other than retail 3ds games from your area so you won't be able to play a us room in Europe or visa versa. Also you can't use them for ds titles. 

Should maybe look around first though, places like cex order really cheap D's/3ds games now as they're very much available, then again... A single cart with 20 games is more portable friendly and ofc free.

At the era of the day I think you know the part you're going to go down already, just remember to be careful on here when it comes to links for piracy. 

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

My friend hacked it.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Metroid: Samus Returns, and Xenoblade Chronicles are all games I can recommend.

As for the hacking, that's up to you, but I'd say you should mainly do it if you're interested in homebrew features that doesn't involve playing AAA 3DS exclusives (such as recording gameplay, using custom themes, backing up save files, or installing ROMs of retro games that aren't available via Virtual Console).

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."