By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What trophies and achievements say about you!

What kind of gamer are you?

Trophy Hunter 8 21.05%

Hardcore 14 36.84%

Story Gamer 11 28.95%

Casual Gamer 3 7.89%

Master of My Trade 2 5.26%

Total:38

Trophies serves several purposes, but the main purpose is to show your friends what kind of gamer you are. 

Trophie Hunter- These guys go after platinums where ever they can. They rise to the challenges set before them and try to squeeze every bit of content out of a game before moving on. These gamers mostly have several plats to show off. 

Hardcore- These guys are the ones that will usually get 60 to 80 percent of trophies, depending on collectibles. They do all of the side content and hit all the benchmarks, but they will not waste time looking for 900 korok seeds. They may have a few plats for the games that they absolutely just love, but no where near the same as a trophy hunter. This is where I personally fall. 

Story gamer- These guys do not really have platinum trophies at all. They play the story missions, maybe some side missions, and move on. They spend time in some games more than others, but tend to put in the bare minimum amount of time needed to complete the core content. 

Casual gamer- These gamers will play until they get bored and move on. They have many games with missing story trophies and are generally low level overall. They prefer short games and tend to do a lot of renting and trading. 

Master of their trade- These guys have very few games on the list, but have literally gone beyond just getting the plat for all of them. Maybe they only play Fallout and Skyrim, maybe they only play Zelda games (no trophies, but the concept is the same), or maybe they are the most common type and invest heavily into online gaming. At any rate, they are true masters of their games, however few those games may be. 

Now this may suprise many people, but these challenges have always been present before trophies. Trophies did nothing to alter the gameplay by being put in. They also do not measure ones worth as a gamer. They simply advertise the style that best suits you. 

They are there for fun and social purposes, not a measure of wether or not you have completed a game. Only you, the gamer, can decide what your money is worth, regardless of if you spend 100 hours in a game and stop at 90%, play 30 and move on, or squeeze every ounce of content out and go for platinum. We are all gamers in the end. 

So what kind of gamer do your trophies/achievements depict you as?  I feel we all fit into one of these five categories one way or another, and if you feel you do not, pick the one that best suits you and elaborate below.

Also Nintendo only gamer, I know you do not have trophies right now.  However you are welcome to participate as well!  Simply pick the descriptive style you feel best suits you.

Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 30 July 2018

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

If mine could speak they would say "help, save us, he wants to kill, burn and dissolve us in acid" - cause I don't, and never will, give a toss about any of that achievement/trophies crap.

I used to collect a lot of platinum trophies sadly I don’t have time anymore, right now I’m playing horizon zero dawn, so it will be my next platinum in a couple of months when I can finally complete it :(

raulbalarezo said:
I used to collect a lot of platinum trophies sadly I don’t have time anymore, right now I’m playing horizon zero dawn, so it will be my next platinum in a couple of months when I can finally complete it :(

I just finished Horizon with a 89% trophy percentage.  Great game, I was going to plat it too.  Once I finished though, I was like, "yeah I'm done" and lost all motivation for some reason lol.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I guess I'm in the Hardcore category. I do enjoy searching for collectibles, equipment, upgrades etc. if I have a good time doing so but I won't waste time on tedious tasks or game modes that I have no interest in just to get some digital medal. I'd much rather spend that time on something I actually enjoy.

Around the Network

Hardcore then.
I try to do everything humanly possible without wasting several hours for just one lousy achievement to fully complete the game. Also I'm usually not playing a game twice, so if the hardest difficulty pisses me off or it only unlocks after completing the story, I won't come back for it.
Though I've also started tons of games (especially back in the 360 days) that I barely played, which is dragging down my completion percentage quite a bit.
Just uploaded this picture yesterday, so might as well post it here:

I'm sick right now, so can't say much beyond I fall into your hardcore category, and I have mixed feelings on achievements/trophies.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Depends on the game. I know there are some people with tons of trophies, but they play a lot of indies to amp that count up. They might only play 2 hours a day, yet to an average person look like a truly hardcore player.

For me, I sometimes play for an hour a day or I am marathonning a really fun game with 10 hours straight. I have 3 or 4 platinums, and they were really long platinums. But the only reason I did it, is because the platinum looked fun. If the platinum sucks to get, then I simply won't do it.

As I said earlier depends on the game, but also the trophies. For some games I just beat the game once and I am done, but for others I play for a very long time.

I have tons of achievements on the x360/ps3/4 but now my main console is the Switch so I guess that tells you that as a gamer... I don't give a rats about them lol

But when it comes to what I do in games, it completely depends on the games, somethings like MC I'll go about and do and explore as much as possible in the games while others like resi evil revelations 2 which I finished recently I got to the end of the story and finished happy, some very heavy plot based games I feel it isn't fun to jump back into various chapters and parts of the story just to find the missing collectables and such.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Those categories say nothing about a person as a gamer, they're only representative of a person as a trophy hunter. Those are different things.

Honestly, one of the perks of mods is that they often disable trophies, which means that people trying to read my "gamer type" from my trophy list are only indulging in their own ignorance.