By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest Graphical Evolution in a gen for a franchise

Jak and Daxter the precursor legend to Jak 3 was a pretty nice jump.

Last edited by RespectDecena - on 24 July 2018

Around the Network
Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

That is also massive. Perhaps I didn't remember the jump because I didn't play they one after the other, it was like 4 years appart and I only got back to RE1 playing on PS1 and the remake without replaying RE3.

Well it would be a little cheating =p

Yep I don't think going gen after 5 will have as big jump on same gen.

From what I remember it wasn't very big.

Tried finding screens a d I think your right.  For some reason I remember the gal being bigger.

Memory loves to play tricks on us... I didn't play the originals, but Remaster for PS3 they looked "close"

RespectDecena said:

Well in terms of final fantasy 7 and 9 lets not forget 7 used different models for its field and battle models. And Cloud him self used a higher quality model during the final fight with sephiroth.

I'm playing it right now and Cloud looks ugly battle and navigation... this model though seem very very good like PS2 version (Advent Children Maybe?)

Mr Puggsly said:
Halo 3 to Halo 4. The disparity in these games is kinda like a generational leap.

Halo 3 character models were average at best for the time, while Halo 4 were among the best of the gen.

I don't think the gap would be like SMB or FF because it is already gen 7... but I can understand the feeling of one gen apart.

melbye said:
Came to say Super Mario Bros 1 to 3

Beaten on first reply =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

mZuzek said:
Pokémon X/Y to Sun/Moon was a pretty notable one, though it does hurt me to praise anything in Sun/Moon.

Why the grudge?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 3

I don't know about the biggest leap, but in replaying the God of War series recently I was seriously impressed by the leap between the PSP entries. Chains of Olympus felt like one, but the whole time I was playing Ghost of Sparta I was thinking, "THIS WAS A PSP GAME?!"

Around the Network

RespectDecena said:

Well in terms of final fantasy 7 and 9 lets not forget 7 used different models for its field and battle models. And Cloud him self used a higher quality model during the final fight with sephiroth.

I'm playing it right now and Cloud looks ugly battle and navigation... this model though seem very very good like PS2 version (Advent Children maybe?)

Yeah that model is literally only used in the omni slash fight at the end. Dont know why they did that honestly.

mZuzek said:
Pokémon X/Y to Sun/Moon was a pretty notable one, though it does hurt me to praise anything in Sun/Moon.

Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee to Gen 8 will likely end up being an even bigger jump too.

Last edited by Green098 - on 24 July 2018

It irks me that that model of Zidane is not how a PS1 would render him. That's either from a later release, a PS2 playing FFIX with smoothing enabled or an emulator....but that aside, FFVIII is a very similar leap from FFVII so I'd say that was comparatively a larger leap.

But as for my own contribution, I have no idea but do we consider "Mickey Mouse" a franchise? Because the leap from Castle Of Illusion to Mickey Mania on the Mega Drive was pretty huge, screenshots don't do justice to the jump, Castle of Illusion looks nice enough but Mickey Mania had large, detailed, amazingly well animated sprites based on actual Disney animation work. Along with all sorts of graphical effects such as pseudo 3D, transparencies, and possibly the only depiction of a dead Mickey Mouse.

Final Fantasy VII to IX was already mentioned, and I consider the latter to be the best looking game on the PS1, but another big leap from the same generation would be Tekken 1 to Tekken 3. On PS2 series like Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper all had a pretty big jump in graphical quality over each trilogy.

Mr Puggsly said:
Halo 3 to Halo 4. The disparity in these games is kinda like a generational leap.

Halo 3 character models were average at best for the time, while Halo 4 were among the best of the gen.

I don't think the gap would be like SMB or FF because it is already gen 7... but I can understand the feeling of one gen apart.

melbye said:
Came to say Super Mario Bros 1 to 3

Beaten on first reply =p

SMB is basically just improved sprites. While Halo 4 is much better lighting, they added realistic motion capture faces, higher poly models, etc.

I see greater gains in 3D games over 2D games. However, Phantasy Star saw huge improvements throughout the Sega Genesis's life.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)