By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital sales percentages per platform

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

That all sounds about right. All I saw so far was that digital ratio even on PS4 is still below 50%, although it gets closer. 43% seems about right. 25% for Switch puts it roughly at half the rate as the PS4, which also sounds about right. It all will heavily depend on the title in question though.

On PS4 1st or 2nd year digital ratio was lower than 25% as far as I remember.

Yeah, there were changes in the last year and it seems about right that Nintendo is a few years behind the pack regarding digital. This all looks more or less plausible.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

On PS4 1st or 2nd year digital ratio was lower than 25% as far as I remember.

Yeah, there were changes in the last year and it seems about right that Nintendo is a few years behind the pack regarding digital. This all looks more or less plausible.

The only thing we don't know is if Switch will follow a trend "launch aligned" to reach 50% as the table consoles or if people when weighting pros and cons of portability on digital versus HDD size will decide for not going 50%+

For someone that plays 2-3 games at a time I don't think HDD size is a major problem if it's fast to download or keep backup in an external HDD or PC (that you need to validate before transfer to Switch internal memory), and for sure it is better to have all the games you need already in the system without needing to carry extra disks.

Myself because of collection and liking to pay less on older titles that I didn't want to pay day one 60 USD will still majorly physical, but I can see Switch userbase going more and more digital.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

4% of my PS4 games are physical or 10 out of 250

10% of my Switch games are or 8 out of 80 games

thing is though, you really can't take anything away from the numbers on this site from the userbase here, we are extreme cases for the most part of gamers, we are not the norm. Would be like taking a survey of boyscouts and asking what percentage of people enjoy helping old ladies across the street, or what % have been molested, figures gonna be through the tarp.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I own 3 physical PS4 games and more than 30 digital.

shikamaru317 said:

PS4 and XB1 are both at around 45% digital now according to Ubisoft and EA. No idea where Switch digital percentage is at, but I would imagine that it's lower than XB1 and PS4 since you have to pay extra to expand Switch's storage in order to download more than a few small digital games.

Do you think it's a big burden to keep downloading new games and erasing older ones? And keep a good use of the internal HDD? I know for me it wouldn't be an issue because I rarely play more than 1 game at once, I preffer to dedicate to plat one per time. At most I play my cellphone games with those energy charging per time as concurrent ones (exvius I have been playing for 2 years daily).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

I’ve gotten rid of all my physical games for my PS4. Everything I own now is digital. 68 games on 4TB of storage. Always said I’d never go digital but was compelled to by the fact that my son and I are both gamers and this was we can both own the games and only pay 1 price.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

Mnementh said:
jason1637 said:

"Sales for Sony's Game & Network Services division increased 18% to 1,943.8 billion yen for the quarter. The company attributed this in large part to an increase in PS4 software sales, which were up to 52 million units from 50.6 million during the same period last year. That included a major uptick in digital sales, as 43% of games sold were digital, as compared with 37% the year prior. For the full year, 32% of full games were sold digitally."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-sales-hit-79-million-nearly-topping-ps3/1100-6458569/

For Nintendo we would have to use their sales numbers and compare them to vgchartz. Here's a link https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/.

So as of March 31st

75% of Switch sales were physical and 25% digital

87.3% of 3DS sales were physical and 12.7% digital

90% of Wii U sales were physical and 10% digital.

We dont have anything from MS but Xbox usually has a higger digital to physical ratio compared to Nintendo and Sony. With their play anywhere program and backwards compatibility i'd assume its around 45-50%.

That all sounds about right. All I saw so far was that digital ratio even on PS4 is still below 50%, although it gets closer. 43% seems about right. 25% for Switch puts it roughly at half the rate as the PS4, which also sounds about right. It all will heavily depend on the title in question though.

Depends on the region too, Japanese people buy much less digital copies due to a competitive physical market.

I buy 95% of my games in physical format. I have a tough time spending anymore than like $6-$7 on a digital game. Physical, is can either trade for another game that i want, when i'm done with it, or sell it. Digital, i'm just stuck with it.

I have PS4, PS4 Pro, PS Vita, XOX, and Switch.

All Digital on PS4 + PS Now, 242 PS4 Games according to PSN Profiles. I have many, many more I have yet to even play.
All Digital on PS Vita, except Disney Infinity 2.0 which was Physical only. 63 Games according to PSN Profiles.
All Digital on Switch, currently sitting at 6 games.
All Digital on XOX, all games via Gamepass.

I only know one person that has a physical game amoung family and friends, and that was a year one purchase. Even amoung co-workers I only know a few people that have bought any physical titles this gen. I think Western Washington is a very high percentage Digital Zone. You can get 60Mbps for under $50 a month with a 1TB cap. Digital games are pretty easily accessable.

Now when I travel for business I know this is not always the case. Been in some places with some terrible Interenet, even if you pay an arm and a leg.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

All digital pretty much since the start of the gen (PS4) and even on Vita (easily over 200 games across both consoles). The only exceptions were Bloodborne (which I ended up buying digital as well) and MGS5. I even changed my Shenmue 3 kickstarter copy from physical to digital :)

For Switch I have Zelda in physical format, but the other 5 or so games were all digital.

Vowing never to buy a physical game ever again