By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital sales percentages per platform

I have never even put a disc in my PS4 and now PS4pro. So all digital for me.

It may sound lazy, but for me those 9 steps of getting up, opening my media cabinet, ejecting a disc, putting it in its case, taking out another case, taking out the disc, putting that into the console, closing media cabinet then going back to my seat..... is just 6 steps too many. I can't even believe I used to do it for generations past.

Now you just hit the PS button, scroll right to the game you want to play, hit the X button. And thats it.

Around the Network

I very rarely buy physical on my PS4. The only time I do is if there is a REALLY good deal on a sale.

On Switch I also mostly buy physical to save on memory and to have that hard copy to show off. However I am a little more willing to go digital here from time to time, even if the game is not for sale due to the convenience when it comes to gaming portably. So far...

Bayonetta 1
Bayonetta 2
Kirby Star Allies
Resident Evil Revelations 1

Are my digital games. Still not a lot, I know. However my experience with changing between those games on the go has me wondering what my next digital game will be. As a collector of sorts, I will always lean physical in MOST instances however.

So as the Switch grows and people have time to buy SD cards, I could see more and more people buying digital on Switch. Perhaps even more so than on PS4 and X1 in the future.

On a side note, I am glad to see physical doing well on Switch. I have a certain feeling of pride when I look at my physical copy of Octopath Traveler. Certain games I just want to have the option to show off.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I have never purchased a digital game for my PS4. So, I'm 0% digital there.

I have only purchased 4 games for Switch, and 2 were digital. That's 50%, but only because those 2 games were digital-only.

For Xbone, I think I've purchased about 10% of my games digitally. Those were almost all either old games on good sales, or digital only. The single exception is Destiny 2, which I purchased for full price, on launch day. That's because I figured I'd be playing it off-and-on for years, and I just wanted the convenience of digital for that.

Now that I think about it, Destiny 2 is the only digital game that I've paid more that $15 for. It is also the only one that was available physically, that I purchased digitally within 4 years of launch.

I think my main reason for buying physical is that I want to be able to resell. But, a close second is just the fact that physical is the way I grew up. Going to the store, looking at the back of the box, and bringing home a new game is an enjoyable part of the experience for me.