By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Disney fires 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director James Gunn over 'indefensible' old tweets

People should really stop posting stuff like that on social media it can only cause problems.
I don't think they should have fired him over some old tweets though.

Around the Network

Thank you Disney. I simply couldn't enjoy a movie knowing a guy who made bad jokes is working on the film.

James Gunn should just be happy we don't exile him from the western world.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Wonder will they be recasting Kraglin or will they continue to allow his brother to play that role in the movies.

You know that James Gunn publicly apologized for these tweets 6 years ago as well, before Guardians 1 launched.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/guardians-galaxy-director-james-gunn-395796

Check the date.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Lol.

"These days emotion is fact and fact is emotion. And we're feeling the wrong thing about you, mister Gunn."     - Disney -

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

FloatingWaffles said:

I also dislike the idea of people making an outrage enough to get someone fired, since there have been situations in the past where it seems some companies cave in immediately towards any sign of potential outrage without deciding for themselves. I'm not saying people don't have the right to be outraged at the jokes he made, in this case it's understandable,  but if these tweets were there for years why did it just all of a sudden become a problem now? Like, did someone go through his past just to look for bad stuff he may have done/said, or was this just found out randomly.

Yeah, it just all of a sudden became a problem for Disney because someone (Mike Cernovich) began resurfacing James Gunn's old tweets. I know the tweets are very old but at the same time they really are bad (as you say) and tasteless. I actually fully understand why Disney won't risk to become associated with the tweets.

Around the Network
licant said:
FloatingWaffles said:

I also dislike the idea of people making an outrage enough to get someone fired, since there have been situations in the past where it seems some companies cave in immediately towards any sign of potential outrage without deciding for themselves. I'm not saying people don't have the right to be outraged at the jokes he made, in this case it's understandable,  but if these tweets were there for years why did it just all of a sudden become a problem now? Like, did someone go through his past just to look for bad stuff he may have done/said, or was this just found out randomly.

Yeah, it just all of a sudden became a problem for Disney because someone (Mike Cernovich) began resurfacing James Gunn's old tweets. I know the tweets are very old but at the same time they really are bad (as you say) and tasteless. I actually fully understand why Disney won't risk to become associated with the tweets.

I included the link above, he did publicly apologise for his daft outspoken "humour" years ago, this is the equivalent of someone getting fired for a job in a decade time because they flame someone in a post on here, depressing.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/guardians-galaxy-director-james-gunn-395796

Score one for twitter battlers who have nothing better to do than throw 10 year old mud at people with a job though.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

EricHiggin said:

Employer  - So we hear your the main reason we're on the brink of curing cancer.
Employee - Thanks. Just a few more tweaks and we will be able to save millions of lives every year.
Employer  - Well it's come to our attention that in second grade you pushed another kid down the slide and gave them a boo boo.
Employee - Ya, I was a bit of an aggressive kid early on but I eventually leveled out and matured.
Employer  - Sorry but unfortunately we have no choice but to let you go.
Employee - WTF?

Ok, but it's not the cure for cancer he was working on. It was a movie. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
EricHiggin said:

Employer  - So we hear your the main reason we're on the brink of curing cancer.
Employee - Thanks. Just a few more tweaks and we will be able to save millions of lives every year.
Employer  - Well it's come to our attention that in second grade you pushed another kid down the slide and gave them a boo boo.
Employee - Ya, I was a bit of an aggressive kid early on but I eventually leveled out and matured.
Employer  - Sorry but unfortunately we have no choice but to let you go.
Employee - WTF?

They're comedy films!

Don't forget what the best medicine is!!

They might have cured cancer >.>

Ganoncrotch said:

They're comedy films!

If that's the case, then you should watch a better comedy film than .... Guardians of the Galaxy ... 

To kill that cancer betterer! 

Ganoncrotch said:

They're comedy films!

If that's the case, then you should watch a better comedy film than .... Guardians of the Galaxy ... 

To kill that cancer betterer! 

Guardians 2 was betterest already, was hoping that 3 could have been the icing on the laughter medicine cake!

Talking about this has reminded me of Quills past in the intro to Guardians 1... now I'm sad.