By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pre-order or not pre-order?

Pre-order or not pre-order?

I'm ok with pre-order. 14 63.64%

Pre-ordering is bad. 7 31.82%

Don't know, can't say, I need to feed my pet. 1 4.55%

Total:22

pre-order from developers that you trust. That's what I do.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:
I only pre-order games online so I can get the 20% discount from Best Buy/Amazon.

Even then, it's only for games I know for a fact I'm getting day one, like Smash Bros.

You get that same discount from Best Buy in the store, and you don't have to pre-order.

I preorder very big games, because Best Buy gives me $10 back to do so. Other than that, I absolutely do not pre-order. With so many broken games released these days, I don't think it's a good idea to reward the developers and publishers before you know they've actually made a good product.  I sell out on this principle for 10 bucks though  

Unless it's a very limited edition which has a vey high chance of being sold out, I don't even see a reason to preorder. Worse, I just wait a year and get the complete edition with all DLC and the like for less than half the price, so where's the point of preordering? Rewarding publishers for releasing broken, DLC-ridden and barely bug-checked games (as with the preorders, there's no incentive to do better, as they got their money already at release)? No thanks, I'll pass

I see the historical reason to preorder (to make sure your shop orders the game and you can get it), but it's not like that's a problem anymore these days even if you don't like digital distribution and want a physical version.

Pre-ordering is pointless unless it is the collector's edition or an Amazon/Best Buy discount.

Some people just feel a sense of accomplishment in pre-ordering games for some reason. I can never tell why.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

I pre-order when it comes to games from smaller devs/publishers that won't necessarily even have a copy to buy of I waltz into the store on release day. Why take the risk? This guarantees my copy. Also, if there's a pre-order bonus for a beloved franchise, and it ISN"T crap, I'll occasionally partake in it. For rank and file, big time releases though? Almost always no.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

Well, it is not always true, that you can readily get the game. On the Octopath release I went into a shop on the way home from work to look, and it was sold out. Felt fine, because I knew my copy awaited me in my mailbox. I probably would've found it, if I looked into different shops, also some that aren't on my way home. But it is so much easier to check the mailbox. So, convenience.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Yeah I dont understand the anti preorder movement. Like I can cancel at any time with no cost to me, it guarantees that I can get the game day 1, I get a bonus with my game if I do go through with the purchase and thanks to how EB Games works here if its cheaper elsewhere I can price match and if I dont end up liking the game I have 7 days to return it for a full refund. Shit I still have preorder bonuses of games I returned 7 days later. I literally didnt have the money for Dragons Crown when it launched but the preorder bonus was an artbook so I bought the game, got my book and returned the game the next day so I had the money back in time for what it was actually needed for :D

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Unless it's a very limited edition which has a vey high chance of being sold out, I don't even see a reason to preorder. Worse, I just wait a year and get the complete edition with all DLC and the like for less than half the price, so where's the point of preordering? Rewarding publishers for releasing broken, DLC-ridden and barely bug-checked games (as with the preorders, there's no incentive to do better, as they got their money already at release)? No thanks, I'll pass

I see the historical reason to preorder (to make sure your shop orders the game and you can get it), but it's not like that's a problem anymore these days even if you don't like digital distribution and want a physical version.

I still see games sold out on week 1.

I understand your feelings toward picking up the game down the road when the game is cheaper, but it's not the case here, gamers who pre-order are into getting the games as soon as they're out. To those gamers that I ask pre-order or not pre-order.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

ktay95 said:
Yeah I dont understand the anti preorder movement. Like I can cancel at any time with no cost to me, it guarantees that I can get the game day 1, I get a bonus with my game if I do go through with the purchase and thanks to how EB Games works here if its cheaper elsewhere I can price match and if I dont end up liking the game I have 7 days to return it for a full refund. Shit I still have preorder bonuses of games I returned 7 days later. I literally didnt have the money for Dragons Crown when it launched but the preorder bonus was an artbook so I bought the game, got my book and returned the game the next day so I had the money back in time for what it was actually needed for :D

That's the way I see it. Pre-order is just convenient, specially when it's a game that can get sold out or from a franchise/dev that you trust.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?