By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - #Walkaway: What is your opinion?

eva01beserk said:
sundin13 said:

While I understand not voting for an individual who doesn't align with your views, "walking away" from one party to the other doesn't really make any sense to me. The partisan divide stands on a philosophy, not just the talking heads who are visibly waving the partisan flags. If I were to leave the democratic party (not that I am a registered democrat, but I do largely agree with the philosophy of the left on most issues), I would leave to a party that more closely reflects my views, not the republican party who I fundamentally agree with on so many issues, especially when an individual like Trump is leading the party, who is pretty much the antithesis to leftist views.

If people are truly walking away to the Republican party, I can only assume that they never really held onto the philosophy are are simply someone who just gets swept up with the talking heads. While that is all fine, I don't think it really serves as an educated opinion on the state of the republican/democratic parties.

I see little to no value in the stories of these individuals beyond a mildly interesting, yet anecdotal curio (and as such fairly meaningless statistically).

And of course there are issues whether or not any of this is actually legit in the first place...

Must you go from one extreme group to another? WHats wrong with being in the middle? 

I think when people say walking away does not mean they are joining the republican party. Its just them not being so into a side that no matter how dumb the argument, they just nod and agree with everything just cuz is your side. I dont think theese people would vote trump on 2020, but they would hold whoever runs on the left to a higher standart and not just agree with anything they say. 

Wich I do belive is the right way to be. Lean to what ever side you want, thats fine, but when something they say is without a doubt awful like them wanting communism on the left, or the right wanting to remove internet laws. We have to stand against our own sometimes to avoid tyranny. 

A lot of them are either joining the Republican party or voting Republican. I watched a portion of a few of the videos and read a bunch of the tweets and a lot of them are very pro-Trump. This isn't a movement which is creating a new Left (like how the alt-right was essentially saying "I don't like the right, lets create a new one").

Again, if someone on the left doesn't stand for the liberal values and philosophies you believe in, don't support them, however, I agree that it makes much more sense to try to vocally support left leaning individuals who more closely match your ideals than it does to do a 180 and suddenly vote Republican. I support demanding better from the political parties, but that isn't really what this is about from everything I've seen or read.

Around the Network

From the #Walkaway videos I've seen, the reasons why each person left the Democratic party behind tend to be different. Not only are the reasons different, but where they shift ideologically tends to be different, too. Some joined the Republican party while others identify themselves as classical liberals.

I used to hate Donald Trump and believe every single negative thing people (and the "media") said about him (racist, mysoginist, white supremacist...), and then some months after he won i somehow stumbled over this video on the internet that showed all the fucking lies and hypocrisy of the media, and i realized why Trump constantly called them Fake News, then i saw the reaction of the "left" to Trumps victory and i learned about Antifa and what they did, trying to silence and de-platform republican / conservative speakers at college universities, causing violence and destroying public property (and yes i understand that Antifa is not the entirety of the left but just a part of it), and arround that time i also found out about the SJWs and all the madness of that other "part" of the left, and finally a year ago i found out about all the apparent corruption sorrounding Hilary Clinton and if all of that is true then the U.S dodged a big bullet.

So im not surprised to see other people (on the #WalkAway movement) who have gone through a similar experience, and i have seen enough videos of people on that movement talking about NOT joining the right but instead going independent or not wanting to be associated with the "current left", to believe that this is likely not some sort of right wing propaganda, (but who knows maybe im completely wrong on that one since im sure the Right isnt without its flaws and faults).

gergroy said:
OTBWY said:

Oof. I hope this thread doesn't come back to haunt those who don't see the very possible blue wave coming in november.

I think Democrats are too disillusioned right now to generate a blue wave.  There is no fire or drive, nobody to lead them.  Republicans will lose a few seats probably, but it won’t be a wave.  If there is going to be a blue wave I think it happens in 2020, 2022 at the latest. 

If a person like Ocasio Cortez can win and basically cause a major (almost historical) upset, then I think there's more to it than you think. Hell, you have democrats winning in Alabama. When the time comes, they won't care who runs, as long as it isn't someone from the republicans/trump camp.

I don't Twitter so I don't know what the hashtag is used for, but I fully support the idea of leaving a political party if you do not feel that it is serving your best interest. I am an independent who votes based on policy and not on the political party. I feel that the first-past-the-post system is god awful and basically ensures that no matter who is in power, they will be at the beck and call of the wealthy. I feel that the proper way to do political parties is to have representation be a proportion of the votes earned, like how Europe does it. This will allow more parties to grow and to meet the will of the electorate.

That said, I fully support whoever has the best chance of defeating Trump and/or Pence in 2020. The current administration has severed diplomatic and commerce ties with our allies and best trading partners. His administration locked up children and purposely took them away from their parents. To anyone to purports to follow Christianity, they should be able to read the words of Christ, see what the current Republican party is doing, and realize that they are in blatant disagreement with basically all of Christ's words from his ministry on Earth, which was all about loving one another and taking care of the sick, elderly, and needy.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 15 July 2018

Around the Network

Both parties are shit and full off corporate whores that are bootlickers for the 1%.

estebxx said:
I used to hate Donald Trump and believe every single negative thing people (and the "media") said about him (racist, mysoginist, white supremacist...), and then some months after he won i somehow stumbled over this video on the internet that showed all the fucking lies and hypocrisy of the media, and i realized why Trump constantly called them Fake News, then i saw the reaction of the "left" to Trumps victory and i learned about Antifa and what they did, trying to silence and de-platform republican / conservative speakers at college universities, causing violence and destroying public property (and yes i understand that Antifa is not the entirety of the left but just a part of it), and arround that time i also found out about the SJWs and all the madness of that other "part" of the left, and finally a year ago i found out about all the apparent corruption sorrounding Hilary Clinton and if all of that is true then the U.S dodged a big bullet.

So im not surprised to see other people (on the #WalkAway movement) who have gone through a similar experience, and i have seen enough videos of people on that movement talking about NOT joining the right but instead going independent or not wanting to be associated with the "current left", to believe that this is likely not some sort of right wing propaganda, (but who knows maybe im completely wrong on that one since im sure the Right isnt without its flaws and faults).

Yeah, nope right wingers advocate for far more violence then anybody on the left even small splinter groups like Antifa which aren't truly left.  Here is just a recent example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRA5wFDtTXQ

Chris Hu said:
estebxx said:

Yeah, nope right wingers advocate for far more violence then anybody on the left even small splinter groups like Antifa which aren't truly left.  Here is just a recent example:

I used to watch all of kyles content. But then I got tired of the hyperboles. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Russian bots are back: #WalkAway attack on Democrats is a likely Kremlin operation

Are real-life Democrats leaving the party in disgust? No, but Russian-fueled online trolls want you to think so

https://www.salon.com/2018/07/09/russian-bots-are-back-walkaway-attack-on-democrats-is-a-likely-kremlin-operation/

Chris Hu said:

Examples of violence exist on many sides:

https://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2018/07/05/rap-sheet-acts-of-media-approved-violence-and-harassment-against-trump-supporters/

Some made it even into an official ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFRHX6glTSM