By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Take-Two confirms that WWE 2K19 is skipping the Switch.

Do ou think T2 is going to continue to support the Switch?

Yes, the platform is goin... 10 19.61%

Yes, but only for sport t... 12 23.53%

No, they won't bring anyt... 17 33.33%

No, they are completely d... 12 23.53%

Total:51

well this is not a good trend, but at the same time this game has been hot garbage at best for years. it shouldnt be allowed to be released to contaminate any system until some major overhauling is done to be honest.

Around the Network

I am not sure about the "completely done option" on the poll. NBA 2K18 has already been confirmed to be coming, and at the very least future NBA games (considering the engine and most assets are already on the system and running fine) are likely to continue as well. In fact, on the NBA 2K front this year has been marked improvement over last where the game was only available at launch through the eShop with a physical release coming later; this year it is launching with a physical copy alongside the other versions.

Barozi said:
Darwinianevolution said:

https://nintendoeverything.com/take-two-gives-an-official-statement-on-wwe-2k19-skipping-switch/

We’ve known for a while now that WWE 2K19 wouldn’t be coming to Switch, but an official statement has come out from Take-Two giving a little bit of reasoning behind this decision:

“The game will not be available on Nintendo Switch. 2K is focused on making the best possible experience for WWE 2K fans and will continue evaluating all opportunities to deliver the franchise across additional platforms.”

So what does this mean for T2's support on the Switch? WWE failed spectacularly due to their own fault (that performance was inexcusable), NBA did mediocre numbers and so did LA Noire. I'm still surprised they didn't even bother with GTA5. It was the only multiplat almost guaranteed to become a multimillion seller, and the same could've been said for the original Red Dead Redemption. Do they think the platform is not worth it, or do the porting costs outweight the potential sales?

Why would you expect that the Switch is getting an exclusive current gen port of Red Dead Redemption?

Considering that most big western publishers are just releasing either old PS360 ports or the most basic multiplats, I kinda assumed T2 would try either GTA V or the original Red Dead. And they could do it alongside a remaster for the other platforms, like they did with LA Noire.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

That's a blow to 3rd party switch support which already isn't anything special.

Honestly, with how shitty the last game was, I am not sure why Take-Two is even in charge of the franchise? This is one of those cases with a company who put their license in the hands of a shitty developer.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Wow.  The version they released on Switch had framerate issues of such magnitude that the wrestlers literally walked to the ring in slow motion during their entrances.  You can't tell me with a straight face that the Switch can't handle a single character model walking down an aisle alone in normal time.  I don't care who they passed the port off to, their name was on the cover.  In the same year that they did such a great job with NBA 2K18 which features 10 players in motion on the court simultaneously.  But what do they do when the sales of WWE 2K18 tank because the word of mouth spread that it was virtually unplayable, something they never bothered to have patched into coherence?  They outright cancel any future ports of the game.  Rather than release a port that is actually playable, and use that as a barometer for whether or not there is value in the port itself.  Instead, the logic is "Switch customers won't buy hot garbage?  Fine, we won't bother giving them anything (future wrestling installments)."  It's baffling.  When something can't even sell at 75% off, there is a reason that Switch owners are avoiding it like the plague.  I like 2K, really I do.  I purchased NBA 2K18 on Switch, and I'm glad that NBA 2K19 is announced, as I will support that as well.  But to use the sales of an infamously unplayable port as an excuse that the sales don't warrant future installments is total bs and sets a bad precedent.

Darwinianevolution said: 

So what does this mean for T2's support on the Switch? WWE failed spectacularly due to their own fault (that performance was inexcusable), NBA did mediocre numbers and so did LA Noire. I'm still surprised they didn't even bother with GTA5. It was the only multiplat almost guaranteed to become a multimillion seller, and the same could've been said for the original Red Dead Redemption. Do they think the platform is not worth it, or do the porting costs outweight the potential sales?

GTA V is probably technically infeasible due to tech choices made by Rockstar to get the game running as it does. Deferred rendering is bandwidth hungry. Multiple GB/s without sampling a single texture or processing any gemoetry. That, and as others have said, an expensive undertaking that needed to get started when Switch was an unknown.

SKMBlake said:
L.A. noire sold poorly on every platform, according to VGChartz it sold better on Switch than Xbox One.

And NBA numbers are pretty cool, there was only 6 millions Switch sold when NBA 2K18 was released and sold about 400 000 which isn't that bad comparing to the 2 millions sold on Xbox One and 3 on PS4.

I wouldn't put much stock in vgc numbers for individual titles. Many games end up overtracked and aren't often corrected quickly when better infomation comes out.

Shiken said:
Well NBA 2K19 is coming, so I think only their sports titles. Their excuse for not bring WWE is laughable though. Basically is reads to me as...

"We made a shitty port and fans called us out for it and gave us backlash. Rather than take the time to properly develop the game for Switch, like Panic Button has done with more demanding games, we are just going to use the Switch being a weaker console as an excuse so we can pull out and put forth minimal effort to right our laziness (in this case, none)."

Unfortunately I feel like this is going to be a trend for most 3rd party devs outside of Japan. For those titles, we will only have what Panic Button or other Switch port devs (if any emerge) can give us. Talented as they are however, they can only work on so much at once. It is sad because day and date releases on Switch at a similar price point would yield them huge returns. They seem to be clueless how much late ports at a jacked up price (or in this case a shitty port) can hurt their sales and be the difference between the Switch being profitable for them, or losing money on said port.

Ports cost money. There's also the cost of publishing. That dictates games cost full price. Not to mention the opportunity cost of doing something more profitable. It's entirely up to Nintendo to make publishing costs lower for devs/pubs. They haven't. Blame them.

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

MajorMalfunction said:
SKMBlake said:
L.A. noire sold poorly on every platform, according to VGChartz it sold better on Switch than Xbox One.

And NBA numbers are pretty cool, there was only 6 millions Switch sold when NBA 2K18 was released and sold about 400 000 which isn't that bad comparing to the 2 millions sold on Xbox One and 3 on PS4.

I wouldn't put much stock in vgc numbers for individual titles. Many games end up overtracked and aren't often corrected quickly when better infomation comes out.

Even if so, we can see a general tendency about the sales of those 2 titles suggesting it didn't sold (that) poorly on Switch compared to other platforms, and that was my main point

SKMBlake said:
MajorMalfunction said:

Even if so, we can see a general tendency about the sales of those 2 titles suggesting it didn't sold (that) poorly on Switch compared to other platforms, and that was my main point

I saw a post on resetera from an insider (aquamarine) that indicated that third party sales weren't as strong as people thought. The gist is that pubs were leaving money on the table, but not so much they were stupid for not investing. Bayonetta 2 Wii U was overtracked by like 200K - 300K on like 700K sales. Awful. I put no stock in VGC numbers. Best community ever, though. 

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

Kerotan said:
That's a blow to 3rd party switch support which already isn't anything special.

Switch should not have lazy ports being dumped onto it. If T2 can't be bothered to put in the effort, they should not bother at all.