By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Not got around to play GoT on PS4. Looks like I'll be picking the Directors cut on PS5.

Bundled with the new expansion too, akin to Spiderman Ultimate :o

Around the Network
twintail said:

No SoP coming???

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/07/01/ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-arrives-on-ps5-and-ps4-consoles-on-august-20/

Kinda like FFVII Remake's upgrade. If you already have it on PS4, you can buy the upgrade for 20 USD to get the PS4 version, and 30 USD to get the PS5 version. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Bandorr said:
Runa216 said:

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/07/01/ghost-of-tsushima-directors-cut-arrives-on-ps5-and-ps4-consoles-on-august-20/

Kinda like FFVII Remake's upgrade. If you already have it on PS4, you can buy the upgrade for 20 USD to get the PS4 version, and 30 USD to get the PS5 version. 

The price differential is a bit off putting. $20 for the expansion makes sense. $30 however is expensive. I am paying $10 just for them to make use of the ps5 features?

Rather have just the free upgrade to PS5 and then decide if I want to buy the expansion. Force bundling is not my favorite.

Now I'm turn between just not playing it, or paying half the cost of a new game just for basic ps5 features and an expansion I may not want.

20 for the expansion, and 30 if you do the expansion AND the PS5 upgrade. Since, you know, Ps5 games are 10 bucks more. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

There is no reason to charge extra for that PS5 upgrade. Just sell this 2020 PS4 game for $60, give people free upgrades to the PS5 version/ PS5 version of the DLC. The transparency of Sonys software revenue greed is quite off putting this generation.

Sits right next to Nintendo selling a 1080p Wii port for $60

Last edited by Otter - on 01 July 2021

twintail said:

No SoP coming???

I wouldn't count it out. This game is coming in less than 2 months, state of play might not come til the end of Summer. Even if SOP was early august it would be preferable to announce this game before then.

I personally think SOP is will happen when Horizon has a release date, I.e sony doesnt yet know lol. 

Around the Network
Otter said:

There is no reason to charge extra for that PS5 upgrade. Just sell this 2020 PS4 game for $60, give people free upgrades to the PS5 version/ PS5 version of the DLC. The transparency of Sonys software revenue greed is quite off putting this generation.

I'll disagree with this until the day I die. This isn't a microtransaction-heavy game, this isn't a 'games as a service' game. There's absolutely nothing wrong with charging 10 more for the latest and greatest version of it. I do not understand why so many people are like 'the price of a game is xx dollars! it's never allowed to be xx+10!" 

Like, dude, movie tickets go up and bread isn't 25c anymore. Prices go up, that's like, economics 101. While some games do have economies and have no REASON to be more expensive, games like this and Ratchet & Clank and Returnal and other next-gen games are not riddled with that shit and thus there's really no problem, here. I do not understand the entitlement of gamers. No other medium's consumers bitches as much about prices and...just everything else. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
Otter said:

I'll disagree with this until the day I die. This isn't a microtransaction-heavy game, this isn't a 'games as a service' game. There's absolutely nothing wrong with charging 10 more for the latest and greatest version of it. I do not understand why so many people are like 'the price of a game is xx dollars! it's never allowed to be xx+10!" 

Like, dude, movie tickets go up and bread isn't 25c anymore. Prices go up, that's like, economics 101. While some games do have economies and have no REASON to be more expensive, games like this and Ratchet & Clank and Returnal and other next-gen games are not riddled with that shit and thus there's really no problem, here. I do not understand the entitlement of gamers. No other medium's consumers bitches as much about prices and...just everything else. 

For those who are happy with it, great for you. For those who are not, feel free to voice your annoyances since its literally the only way companies ever budge on anything. And there's very obvious reason for discontent here

1. Why is it 80% of publishers can offer free upgrades and PC games do not charge for scalable graphic settings or even post launch upgrades but Playstation studios is so broke & struggling they need to charge $10 just so you can play the DLC you've already bought on their new platform?

2. Lets also acknowledge that this is even inconsistent from Sonys side as Miles Morales did not charge $10 to upgrade to the PS5 version. Why did they need to implement it here if Miles did not? And Miles had ray tracing and like 4 different performance modes. The value of this upgrade is also really questionable right now since the PS4 version already plays at 60fps/1440p on PS5. So for now it seems like we're paying for controller functions and maybe a resolution boost.

3. I'm not even against games increasing in price but if you need to do so, don't do it for cross-gen titles which are clearly built on PS4's foundation, or games like Returnal which clearly have a much smaller budget than most AAA titles we've seen last gen. One quick look at the Ghost trailer and its clear its just a PS4 game unlike the likes of  Ratchet or Horizon 2

4. Even though I said I'm okay with inflation of video game prices, its an already very expensive hobby and in the UK PS5 games are £70 which is almost equivalent to $100. New games used to easily be found for £39.99, PS4 games already saw inflated prices and this jump is to £70 is too much for probably the smallest generational leap we've seen. I'm also all for supporting the industry but with digital giving publishers a bigger cut of profits and many companies like Sony thriving more than they ever in software revenue, I really don't have empathy for the inflation argument for reasons to charge Playstation 5 owners a surplus for this kind of cross gen content

5. I will never really have time for people defending basic corporate greed. Again, I'm all for companies succeeding but when they're making more money than EVER, I will definitely stand on the side of consumers who are uncomfortable with the price hike. Especially when other companies are demonstrating that the price hike (especially the kind we're seeing in the UK) is simply not necessary. Pay it if you like and enjoy your games, but also get used to people making a fuss on forums etc when company X charges you for things that many others are offering for free.

Last edited by Otter - on 01 July 2021

Runa216 said:

Except FFVIIR is another game that lets you upgrade to the PS5 version for free ;)

Bristow9091 said:
Otter said:

Yeeeaaaah no, it's not even in the same ballpark as Skyward Sword HD being $60 lol. That's a simple HD port with no real extra content... this is a port with a brand new expansion attached to it, as well as some PS5 exclusive features, and you're only paying $10 extra ($70) if you want it on PS5 and you've never owned the game before. If you already own the game on PS4? Then yeah it's $30... but for that you're still getting the PS5 port AND a brand new expansion, so you're now paying $30 for brand new content, as opposed to paying $60 for Skyward Sword HD which has the exact same content it had back then... please tell me how they're sitting next to each other.

They're both quick money grabs that leave a bitter taste in the mouth. Exactly as I stated in the bold. And lets be clear that I'm talking about Sony charging $10 to upgrade from PS4 1440p/60fps to PS5 Dynamic 4k/60fps. 

Otter said:
Runa216 said:

Except FFVIIR is another game that lets you upgrade to the PS5 version for free ;)

except if you want to get the expansion (Yuffie's stuff) you gotta pay extra. If you don't like the PS5 conversion fee, don't pay it. THAT is the only way companies will learn. 

I personally think it's worth it and thus will be happily buying in again. I got the game twice on PS4 already, soooo...what's 40 CAD?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX