By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Guild Wars 2 Writer Fired Over being a complete idiot on twitter, Gaming "press" defends her xD

Raven722 said:
Machiavellian said:
This should be interesting from here on out. I will keep this thread in mind when the next person acts the country fool, but people support that person and believe they should not get fired. I wonder if there is a double standard because I have definitely seem people support others that are abusive and say how they like how that person doesn't take any crap etc. Either way, anyone who acts like her should get the boot but then again, its social media in general where a lot of people should just not use it. I know a lot of guys who are my friends but I would instantly tell them not to get on Twitter or Facebook at least not public because they are A holes. I believe we all have A holes who are our friends but they are our A holes and you know the internet was not made for them and their opinion. Either way, I see this drama going on for the end of the year.

As pointed out, this isn't a situation of a developer dealing with a troll or someone being a complete jackass. This was a developer overreacting to a civil post from a known customer and partner of her company who had a slight disagreement and not being keen to just keep the reaction to a single tweet. She took to trashing them through additional tweets for the whole world to see. Mind you, the person who she did this to has an NPC in the game named after them. That should give you an idea how prominent this member of the community is. If she talks that way to someone like him, one can only imagine how she responds to others. She tried to play the gender card for someone disagreeing with her.

Blizzard Entertainment, the makers of another MMO called World of Warcraft... you may have heard of it, get tons of people daily telling them what they think the game should be. How something should be done. What they would like to see and where they think the developers are going wrong. Some of it is civil and some of it is vile and many times they are directly responding to or initiating the conversation with a dev or community manager. Guess what... many of those developers they are "telling how to do their job" are male. That's the point. These people don't give a flying fuck about your gender. They have an opinion on the game you're making, the game they love and spend tons of time and money on, and they want you to hear them. This was not a gender issue until she turned it into one. This was a bitch issue from the beginning.

A bunch of sweaty, basement dwelling mongrels taking that as an opportunity to attack her for being a female developer isn't the narrative here. It's not what caused this situation and it's not the reason she got fired.

I just do not believe it really matters if he was a troll or not.  Some people should not be on public forums and they should definitely not be replying to fans.  Just because a person is an asshole doesn't mean they should lose their job or be witch hunt down.  They should just shut up and do their job.  I know plenty of programmers and I can tell you its a reason the do not interact with the public alot.  They can be very gifted in what they do but not the most social people and some do not take criticism of their work at all.

As for Blizzard and WOW or even Diablo, I remember that who fiasco but one thing I also remember about that time is that nothing was ever said back to anyone unless it went through the filter of a PR team.  You only have to read the any response to know it was not the developer responding it was some other entity whose job is to say nothing and not escalate the situation.  I know at my company, on our forums if we answer to any customer who is irate or mad, it goes to the manager and then a crafted response is composed and given.  This happens a lot when you manager users in public forums and it should be standard for any company.

Personally do we really know exactly why she got fired.  We know the official statement but how they came to that conclusion and not just ask her for a public apology is the question.  Either way, it still interesting to see how this shakes out.  I am waiting on a similar situation where people side with the person being fired and the reasons they give.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
Aeolus451 said:

She overreacted to a civil tweet from a fan of guild wars and she repeatedly tried to play the victim. She wasn't joking. She was being a cunt over it.

Just try to compare that to the papa john owner having to step down over describing racism during a meeting and someone getting offended by it.

That is the whole point.  You all got offended because she flipped a switch on this fan.  She could have been joking.  She could have thought that it was tongue and cheek and nothing would come of it.  It could be a lot of things but what it turned out to be is that she was fired for speaking to a fan on a public forum in a way people did not like.  Its a pandora box because it really does not matter if the guy she was abusive was civil or not.  Once you support companies firing you based on your opinions in public forums then if anyone wants to get your fired all they need to do is find out what company you work for and send them your, tweets, facebook page, forum post you name it.

I am not saying that she should not be fired, what I am saying is that no matter how much a dick a person can be, if you support them getting fired then you support anyone getting fired for anything they say outside of work.  If you want corporations to stay out of your private life then you have to support the dicks as well as the angles because they rules will apply to both.

Notice that you keep bringing up the word public forums, then in your conclusion talk about people interfering in her private life.  There's a contradiction there.

First off, the interaction was about something she posted in regards to storytelling in gaming.  It was a topic directly related to her job.  She chose to put this out to the public, and then she chose to engage with a customer of her company.

Secondly and more importantly, twitter is not a part of your private life.  It is public.  It is a site designed with the specific purpose of broadcasting your opinions to a large number of people.  You do not have any right or reasonable expectation to privacy when you are posting a public message.

A company absolutely has the right to fire an employee who is adversely effecting their brand in a public forum.  This was neither a topic which was unrelated to her job, nor was it a private comment.  This has always been the case as far as I know.  The difference is that people are shockingly slow to understand that posting on twitter is the equivalent of making a press release.

Machiavellian said:
Aeolus451 said:

She overreacted to a civil tweet from a fan of guild wars and she repeatedly tried to play the victim. She wasn't joking. She was being a cunt over it.

Just try to compare that to the papa john owner having to step down over describing racism during a meeting and someone getting offended by it.

That is the whole point.  You all got offended because she flipped a switch on this fan.  She could have been joking.  She could have thought that it was tongue and cheek and nothing would come of it.  It could be a lot of things but what it turned out to be is that she was fired for speaking to a fan on a public forum in a way people did not like.  Its a pandora box because it really does not matter if the guy she was abusive was civil or not.  Once you support companies firing you based on your opinions in public forums then if anyone wants to get your fired all they need to do is find out what company you work for and send them your, tweets, facebook page, forum post you name it.

I am not saying that she should not be fired, what I am saying is that no matter how much a dick a person can be, if you support them getting fired then you support anyone getting fired for anything they say outside of work.  If you want corporations to stay out of your private life then you have to support the dicks as well as the angles because they rules will apply to both.

No. She tried to use her vagina as a shield from criticism and she was being a cunt. She acted unprofessional when she was representing her company. It's not about taking offense and firing someone over it. It's about acting in a reasonable way with others. Companies will fire you if you damage the brand by doing something they don't agree with. That line is gonna different with each company and situation.

JWeinCom said:
Machiavellian said:

Notice that you keep bringing up the word public forums, then in your conclusion talk about people interfering in her private life.  There's a contradiction there.

First off, the interaction was about something she posted in regards to storytelling in gaming.  It was a topic directly related to her job.  She chose to put this out to the public, and then she chose to engage with a customer of her company.

Secondly and more importantly, twitter is not a part of your private life.  It is public.  It is a site designed with the specific purpose of broadcasting your opinions to a large number of people.  You do not have any right or reasonable expectation to privacy when you are posting a public message.

A company absolutely has the right to fire an employee who is adversely effecting their brand in a public forum.  This was neither a topic which was unrelated to her job, nor was it a private comment.  This has always been the case as far as I know.  The difference is that people are shockingly slow to understand that posting on twitter is the equivalent of making a press release.

I did not notice I said public, I said it on purpose.  Would it be any different if someone took a video of you out in public berating someone or doing something stupid and you lost your job for it.  No matter the media used, if you are not actively working for a company or doing anything on company time then you are just an individual.  So would you agree that if a company viewed your twitter post and saw that you got drunk, pulled over by the cops and put into jail, and fired you for it that's fair game.  Same would be for Facebook or anything else.  Where is the line drawn and how much are you so accepting of this practice.  I keep reading about SJW all the time but it seems people just pick and choose what they consider SJW.

So what you saying as a developer, if I post something that I do, its considered fair game for my employer to fire me because they disagree how I handled the topic in public.  So basically what we are all saying is that you are always on the clock for your company no matter if you are on the Job or just speaking in general.  I am not saying that this isn't the world we live in, I am saying people seem to be more accepting of it and thus cannot complain when its used for someone they do like.  Its a double edge sword that bites on both ends.  No one seem to ask was there a process.  Was she just fired outright.  What policies did she break and how many chances do you get.  Nope, it was one and done but it only seems to be that way because the general people who support her getting fired has an ax to grind.  If this was your favorite developer, I wonder if support would have been different.

At Bolded:  How exactly can that be proven.  Even if it can be proven how can any company tie that to an employee unless it is their forum.  Just because someone knows you work for a certain company doesn't exactly give them total rights to anything you say as affecting their business.  Basically you just gave corporation to use that very line for anything they can consider as "Hurting" their brand and complete control over what you say, how you act, who you associate with and how you behave in any settings.  Its one thing understand how things are, its totally another to just accept it as if it should be the norm.

Aeolus451 said:
Machiavellian said:

No. She tried to use her vagina as a shield from criticism and she was being a cunt. She acted unprofessional when she was representing her company. It's not about taking offense and firing someone over it. It's about acting in a reasonable way with others. Companies will fire you if you damage the brand by doing something they don't agree with. That line is gonna different with each company and situation.

LOL, men has used their dick as a shield or just being a man in general as well.  I even saw defense of Kamiya as if "Its Kamiya" says it all.  The only difference I see here is what excuse people accept when a person they do not care for gets fired over someone they like.  If you liked this woman and knew her, you might have a totally different stance.  I personally am not defending her or her actions, I just believe its tiring to see riled up over someone being an ass then want them being fired.  No chance or remorse from the public outcry just the AX as if that can never be you one day.  Well, I know how easy it is to get the AX for the most simple of things you say on the net.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
JWeinCom said:

I did not notice I said public, I said it on purpose.  Would it be any different if someone took a video of you out in public berating someone or doing something stupid and you lost your job for it.  No matter the media used, if you are not actively working for a company or doing anything on company time then you are just an individual.  So would you agree that if a company viewed your twitter post and saw that you got drunk, pulled over by the cops and put into jail, and fired you for it that's fair game.  Same would be for Facebook or anything else.  Where is the line drawn and how much are you so accepting of this practice.  I keep reading about SJW all the time but it seems people just pick and choose what they consider SJW.

So what you saying as a developer, if I post something that I do, its considered fair game for my employer to fire me because they disagree how I handled the topic in public.  So basically what we are all saying is that you are always on the clock for your company no matter if you are on the Job or just speaking in general.  I am not saying that this isn't the world we live in, I am saying people seem to be more accepting of it and thus cannot complain when its used for someone they do like.  Its a double edge sword that bites on both ends.  No one seem to ask was there a process.  Was she just fired outright.  What policies did she break and how many chances do you get.  Nope, it was one and done but it only seems to be that way because the general people who support her getting fired has an ax to grind.  If this was your favorite developer, I wonder if support would have been different.

At Bolded:  How exactly can that be proven.  Even if it can be proven how can any company tie that to an employee unless it is their forum.  Just because someone knows you work for a certain company doesn't exactly give them total rights to anything you say as affecting their business.  Basically you just gave corporation to use that very line for anything they can consider as "Hurting" their brand and complete control over what you say, how you act, who you associate with and how you behave in any settings.  Its one thing understand how things are, its totally another to just accept it as if it should be the norm.

1.  Personally, I'm actually required to report any arrest as soon as it occurs, so twitter is an irrelevancy.  But, assume that's not the case, would my employer have the right to fire me?  It depends.  If I'm for instance an accountant, probably not.  If I'm a representative for Mothers Against Drunk Driving, yes.  

If I was in public and did something stupid, that is absolutely a different situation.  I have a reasonable expectation of privacy in most places, even if they are public.  But a public forum, a place specifically designed for broadcasting my ideas, I have no expectation of privacy.  Nobody videotaped her.  She chose to interact with a customer, and chose to do it in an entirely unprofessional manner.  

2.  I really don't particularly feel like addressing this, because whenever someone starts a sentence with "so what you're saying" it never is what you're saying.  And indeed, I never said anything likely.  She is not always on the clock.  But when she chooses to discuss her job on her free time, and chooses to interact with customers, then she is representing her company.  

3.  At the bolded, It's not a matter of people can say anything they want, or be totally censored.  As intelligent human beings we can decide on a case by case basis.  I would hope that we can reasonably agree that calling someone an asshat for a respectable criticism is hurting a brand.  

Saying that a company should be able to discipline an employee for calling a customer an asshat is not giving them the right to control everything a person says.  Ease up on the slippery slope fallacies.  

JWeinCom said:
Machiavellian said:

1.  Personally, I'm actually required to report any arrest as soon as it occurs, so twitter is an irrelevancy.  But, assume that's not the case, would my employer have the right to fire me?  It depends.  If I'm for instance an accountant, probably not.  If I'm a representative for Mothers Against Drunk Driving, yes.  

If I was in public and did something stupid, that is absolutely a different situation.  I have a reasonable expectation of privacy in most places, even if they are public.  But a public forum, a place specifically designed for broadcasting my ideas, I have no expectation of privacy.  Nobody videotaped her.  She chose to interact with a customer, and chose to do it in an entirely unprofessional manner.  

2.  I really don't particularly feel like addressing this, because whenever someone starts a sentence with "so what you're saying" it never is what you're saying.  And indeed, I never said anything likely.  She is not always on the clock.  But when she chooses to discuss her job on her free time, and chooses to interact with customers, then she is representing her company.  

3.  At the bolded, It's not a matter of people can say anything they want, or be totally censored.  As intelligent human beings we can decide on a case by case basis.  I would hope that we can reasonably agree that calling someone an asshat for a respectable criticism is hurting a brand.  

Saying that a company should be able to discipline an employee for calling a customer an asshat is not giving them the right to control everything a person says.  Ease up on the slippery slope fallacies.  

2.  Ok, I can agree with the "So what you are saying"  as I can definitely say this is now I interpret what you said, which is totally different.  As to her discussing her Job, that is actually not what she did.  She made a post about a topic she was interested in.  It would be different if she wrote a topic and stated this game I work on doing this part etc.  Actually from the tweet her job is never mentioned.  Just because this guy was a fan, doesn't give him any more rights than the average person on the street.  So my statement stands.  If I speak about programming because I am a developer, does it give my company rights to basically own what I say and tie that into a representation of their business.  As far as a business is concerned, everyone can be considered a customer.  Just having your own twitch, facebook and other public forum where you speak your mind can be considered property of your employer if you happen to say something they do not like.

3.  You continue to say this is a customer, but it was her own twitter account.  Like I said, its different if this was the company twitter account, facebook page or forum but it was her twitter account.  By all intent and purpose this does not define this guy as a customer for Arenanet.  Instead this means he was a fan of her.  So yes, this is a slippery slope because she was not on the clock, not speaking on company time and not speaking about company products or services.  Yes, she was triggered when she responded back to the guy and who knows, what was going on in her head at the time.  From the verge article she stated that he chose the wrong time to question her post because she got tired of people who do not work in the industry trying to tell her how to do her job.  As a developer I can understand where she comes from.  We get this all the time with people who have no clue how we do our job trying to tell us how to do our job.  Even the guy who tried to defend her basically stated the same thing.

John2290 said:
Anyone who hires this woman, I will instantly boycott.

same here.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Machiavellian said:
JWeinCom said:

2.  Ok, I can agree with the "So what you are saying"  as I can definitely say this is now I interpret what you said, which is totally different.  As to her discussing her Job, that is actually not what she did.  She made a post about a topic she was interested in.  It would be different if she wrote a topic and stated this game I work on doing this part etc.  Actually from the tweet her job is never mentioned.  Just because this guy was a fan, doesn't give him any more rights than the average person on the street.  So my statement stands.  If I speak about programming because I am a developer, does it give my company rights to basically own what I say and tie that into a representation of their business.  As far as a business is concerned, everyone can be considered a customer.  Just having your own twitch, facebook and other public forum where you speak your mind can be considered property of your employer if you happen to say something they do not like.

3.  You continue to say this is a customer, but it was her own twitter account.  Like I said, its different if this was the company twitter account, facebook page or forum but it was her twitter account.  By all intent and purpose this does not define this guy as a customer for Arenanet.  Instead this means he was a fan of her.  So yes, this is a slippery slope because she was not on the clock, not speaking on company time and not speaking about company products or services.  Yes, she was triggered when she responded back to the guy and who knows, what was going on in her head at the time.  From the verge article she stated that he chose the wrong time to question her post because she got tired of people who do not work in the industry trying to tell her how to do her job.  As a developer I can understand where she comes from.  We get this all the time with people who have no clue how we do our job trying to tell us how to do our job.  Even the guy who tried to defend her basically stated the same thing.

2.  By her own admission she was speaking in her capacity as a professional.  To quote her "“Today in being a female game dev: Allow me- — a person who does not work with you — explain to you how you do your job,” she added. “Like, the next rando asshat who attempts to explain the concept of branching dialogue to me — as if, you know, having worked in game narrative for a fucking DECADE, I have never heard of it — is getting instablocked. PSA.” She certainly seemed to think that her post, and the criticism, was related to her job.

As for the rest of the post I'm honestly not sure what point you are trying to make.  It has nothing to do with anyone owning her facebook page or whatever.  It has to do with her doing something that may hurt her company in a place where it is clearly visible to everyone, her employer included.  If you do something in the clear view of your employer, then they can act on it.

3.  He was in fact a customer.  She was in fact an employee, which was public knowledge.  Whether or not she knew he was a customer, is entirely irrelevant to whether her actions were damaging the company.  As a company, it is in their rights to discipline an employee who is doing something damaging to their brand in a public forum.  As a teacher, I am allowed to engage with parents, or prospective parents of students, in my personal time.  I am expected to do this respectfully. I'm not sure where you have gotten the idea that employers can't take any action regarding what employees do when they are not on the clock, but this has not been the case for any job I've ever had. 

Her feelings fall squarely in the category of her problem.  If she can't control herself, don't engage.  I get people telling me how to do my job too.  It's annoying, but I have to deal.  And in her case, she was actually pretty lucky, cause she had the option to simply ignore it, or block the person.

Machiavellian said:
JWeinCom said:

2. You don't seem top have followed the whole story.  She was directly discussing her work and the difficulty in creating an interesting PC in an MMO environment. She didn't get hacked she posted this for the world to see on Twitter. Both she and Mr. Fries seemed to be under the false impression that posting something to a personal Twitter account is "private". I've never thought in 2018, someone would be so naive.

3. It was on personal Twitter account that listed her company name. It's like me going out on my off time in my company shirt and getting in a verbal altercation with a customer. It get's back to my boss. I get fired. She foolishly did this on a public forum. I'm curious to occupations of people with this stance. I've worked in a corporate environment for 16 years. Even on the documentation for employment on my first "corporate" job in 2002, there was clause about stating that showing company in a bad light, even in your off hours, is grounds for termination. These clauses have evolved with the social media age. Twitter isn't private. A personal Twitter account your name and company of employ on it. Makes you a representative of the company. It's like wearing a company shirt in public on your day off. Despite note being "on the clock" you are making yourself a representative of the company.

Last edited by Darc Requiem - on 18 November 2018