By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Guild Wars 2 Writer Fired Over being a complete idiot on twitter, Gaming "press" defends her xD

Machiavellian said:
This should be interesting from here on out. I will keep this thread in mind when the next person acts the country fool, but people support that person and believe they should not get fired. I wonder if there is a double standard because I have definitely seem people support others that are abusive and say how they like how that person doesn't take any crap etc. Either way, anyone who acts like her should get the boot but then again, its social media in general where a lot of people should just not use it. I know a lot of guys who are my friends but I would instantly tell them not to get on Twitter or Facebook at least not public because they are A holes. I believe we all have A holes who are our friends but they are our A holes and you know the internet was not made for them and their opinion. Either way, I see this drama going on for the end of the year.

I don't agree that we should go on a witch hunt to fire people from their jobs, but I believe bigotry should be stamped out where it is found. That includes the bigotry of assuming everything a man wants to add to a discussion is mansplaining.

Kamiya doesn't lose his job for multiple reasons. First, he doesn't try gaslighting people as bigots. Second, he owns a pretty big part of Platinum Games. Third, Japan has a different culture with different values. And finally, he never attacked a fan without provocation (ie, didn't break one of his pinned rules or attack him directly), so it's never put as much strain on the brand as, say, inferring a black person looks like a monkey.

Roseanne Barr lost her job, however, and rightfully so considering what was said. Even if she was married to a black man with a family of half-black children, you can't say the things she said online without damaging a brand.

Likewise, you can't haphazardly throw around a sexist label expecting to get everything you want in spite of constantly attacking the fan base and being a generally horrible person. Jessica Price was guilty of creating tension between a brand and its community. Then she took a baseball bat to that brand, and now she's foaming at the mouth because they dared to fire her while being men.

So I wouldn't say there's a double standard. For the most part, companies manage themselves in ways that make money. And if the presence of an individual is costing them money because of actions they had taken publicly... Well, they're gone.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
This should be interesting from here on out. I will keep this thread in mind when the next person acts the country fool, but people support that person and believe they should not get fired. I wonder if there is a double standard because I have definitely seem people support others that are abusive and say how they like how that person doesn't take any crap etc. Either way, anyone who acts like her should get the boot but then again, its social media in general where a lot of people should just not use it. I know a lot of guys who are my friends but I would instantly tell them not to get on Twitter or Facebook at least not public because they are A holes. I believe we all have A holes who are our friends but they are our A holes and you know the internet was not made for them and their opinion. Either way, I see this drama going on for the end of the year.

As pointed out, this isn't a situation of a developer dealing with a troll or someone being a complete jackass. This was a developer overreacting to a civil post from a known customer and partner of her company who had a slight disagreement and not being keen to just keep the reaction to a single tweet. She took to trashing them through additional tweets for the whole world to see. Mind you, the person who she did this to has an NPC in the game named after them. That should give you an idea how prominent this member of the community is. If she talks that way to someone like him, one can only imagine how she responds to others. She tried to play the gender card for someone disagreeing with her.

Blizzard Entertainment, the makers of another MMO called World of Warcraft... you may have heard of it, get tons of people daily telling them what they think the game should be. How something should be done. What they would like to see and where they think the developers are going wrong. Some of it is civil and some of it is vile and many times they are directly responding to or initiating the conversation with a dev or community manager. Guess what... many of those developers they are "telling how to do their job" are male. That's the point. These people don't give a flying fuck about your gender. They have an opinion on the game you're making, the game they love and spend tons of time and money on, and they want you to hear them. This was not a gender issue until she turned it into one. This was a bitch issue from the beginning.

A bunch of sweaty, basement dwelling mongrels taking that as an opportunity to attack her for being a female developer isn't the narrative here. It's not what caused this situation and it's not the reason she got fired.

I imagine if the dev was a male and the fan was a female. Can you imagine how these people would be singing a completely different song? It's disgusting.

Keep in mind that we probably only know a small portion of the reason why she got fired, it is very possible she behaved this badly out of our eyesight for a long time.

Nem said:
I imagine if the dev was a male and the fan was a female. Can you imagine how these people would be singing a completely different song? It's disgusting.

To whom are you referring? The small section of the SJW community who argue blindly that a woman can only be in the right; or the small section of the anti-SJW community who are closet bigots and are just taking the side against the woman?

Because both of those communities would flip their positions if the only thing that was changed about this story was gender.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Nem said:

Which people?

I think firing was a bit over the top, but upon reading her comments afterwards, I feel like her attitude may be a problem in general. There's no self awareness on her part. People constantly question game devs on their decisions male or female. Often, not in a respectful way as was the case here. Simply no reason to insult him or throw out accusations of sexism. And in her comments afterwards, she is again claiming it's because she's a woman, and not because she was acting like a dumbass on a public forum.

Aeolus451 said:
Nem said:

Which people?

Kotaku, Polygon, Eurogamer, Resetera, TheVerge, PCGamer etc.

JWeinCom said: 
I think firing was a bit over the top, but upon reading her comments afterwards, I feel like her attitude may be a problem in general. There's no self awareness on her part. People constantly question game devs on their decisions male or female. Often, not in a respectful way as was the case here. Simply no reason to insult him or throw out accusations of sexism. And in her comments afterwards, she is again claiming it's because she's a woman, and not because she was acting like a dumbass on a public forum.

Yes, ArenaNet was making a mistake. But not in firing Price. Hiring her was the error on their side. Bringing someone with a penchant for conflict into a company that encourages interaction between developers and community... it was bound to happen.

Hunting Season is done...

Aeolus451 said:
Machiavellian said:

She overreacted to a civil tweet from a fan of guild wars and she repeatedly tried to play the victim. She wasn't joking. She was being a cunt over it.

Just try to compare that to the papa john owner having to step down over describing racism during a meeting and someone getting offended by it.

That is the whole point.  You all got offended because she flipped a switch on this fan.  She could have been joking.  She could have thought that it was tongue and cheek and nothing would come of it.  It could be a lot of things but what it turned out to be is that she was fired for speaking to a fan on a public forum in a way people did not like.  Its a pandora box because it really does not matter if the guy she was abusive was civil or not.  Once you support companies firing you based on your opinions in public forums then if anyone wants to get your fired all they need to do is find out what company you work for and send them your, tweets, facebook page, forum post you name it.

I am not saying that she should not be fired, what I am saying is that no matter how much a dick a person can be, if you support them getting fired then you support anyone getting fired for anything they say outside of work.  If you want corporations to stay out of your private life then you have to support the dicks as well as the angles because they rules will apply to both.

Azuren said:
Machiavellian said:

I don't agree that we should go on a witch hunt to fire people from their jobs, but I believe bigotry should be stamped out where it is found. That includes the bigotry of assuming everything a man wants to add to a discussion is mansplaining.

Kamiya doesn't lose his job for multiple reasons. First, he doesn't try gaslighting people as bigots. Second, he owns a pretty big part of Platinum Games. Third, Japan has a different culture with different values. And finally, he never attacked a fan without provocation (ie, didn't break one of his pinned rules or attack him directly), so it's never put as much strain on the brand as, say, inferring a black person looks like a monkey.

Basically what I see in this comment is you showing your own bias.  You defend Kamiya just like the people defending this woman.  You try to find edge cases to support that things are different with Kamiya then then woman but in reality it is not.  It doesn't matter if kamiya acted the ass when provoked or not, when he publicly act the ass he is representing his company and negative feedback.  The sole reason he does not get fired is because he is Kamiya and he is more important to his company.

Roseanne Barr lost her job, however, and rightfully so considering what was said. Even if she was married to a black man with a family of half-black children, you can't say the things she said online without damaging a brand.

Totally agree, but then again would she just been reprimanded and asked to give a public apology instead of being fired if she was considered more valuable to the Disney.  Its a question to consider.

Likewise, you can't haphazardly throw around a sexist label expecting to get everything you want in spite of constantly attacking the fan base and being a generally horrible person. Jessica Price was guilty of creating tension between a brand and its community. Then she took a baseball bat to that brand, and now she's foaming at the mouth because they dared to fire her while being men.

Totally agree here as well but that is the problem also with public forums.  You call it attacking the fan base, while to her it was her disagreeing with another person.  It seems people expect political tact when dealing with other people on public forums but only for the people they do not like.  At the end of the day, the company made a decision to fire her instead of asking her to give the person an apology.  The fact that everyone is supporting getting fired first means that this can and will always be the policy because of your support.  Now anything that is said that people disagree with, calls for firing will be the route and it will force people you truly want to interact with to go away.  

So I wouldn't say there's a double standard. For the most part, companies manage themselves in ways that make money. And if the presence of an individual is costing them money because of actions they had taken publicly... Well, they're gone.

Its a double standard because its never going to be equal.  It will always be political and most times it matters not if it make or cost money, its who benefits the most.  If you support this person firing, then you support anyone getting fired for anything they say out in public.  I am quite intimate with this situation because I was fired from Microsoft for posting on forums.  I was not abusive, I was not being an ass or rude or anything.  I was fired because it was found out that I worked at microsoft and so my statements at the time was considered coming from MS.  The whole topic was Mac vs PC and this was in the early 90s.  Now you have companies snooping around your facebook and twitter feeds.  Watching your public post on forums etc.  Its a catch 22 and you can believe that such things will get even worst before it gets better.