By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Hollywood Strikes again| Scarlett Johansson set to play a trans man in an upcoming movie

http://screencrush.com/scarlett-johansson-rub-tug-trans-man-movie/?trackback=twitter_mobile_top

Wow, they never learn, do they? First she plays an Asian character as a white chick in Ghost in the Shell and now this shit? Get the fuck out of here! And it's got the same director from the live-action Ghost in the Shell movie, too (Rupert Sanders).

I guess she learned nothing from all the backlash her whole whitewashing controversy got in their other movie, LOL. Which BTW, it was a shitty movie even on its own terms, even looking past the fact that Sco Jo isn't an iota Asian no matter how much pale makeup they put on her.

Around the Network

I hear you! You'd think she'd have learned from the last time. With this development, she's probably going to be, at least in part, forever identified with the phenomenon of cultural appropriation.

Isn't the point of being an actor to play something you're not?

On GITS as someone who followed the series it was a good conversion (one of the much better ones at that) with a logical reason behind it as well because the character was still Asian, the whole cast was mixed but I don't see people complaining about that.

Huh? What's the issue?

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Yes, but presentation means everything in a movie, especially in an adaptation of something in the case of GitS. Why do you think there was so much backlash when Christian Bale, a white man was cast to play Moses in Exodus: Gods and Kings? To that end, it would make a shit ton more sense to get somebody who actually looks like a man to play a trans man.

Inb4 "but she's playing a biologically female character, hur hur".

KManX89 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Yes, but presentation means everything in a movie, especially in an adaptation of something in the case of GitS. Why do you think there was so much backlash when Christian Bale, a white man was cast to play Moses in Exodus: Gods and Kings? To that end, it would make a shit ton more sense to get somebody who actually looks like a man to play a trans man.

Inb4 "but she's playing a biologically female character, hur hur".

Nothing in the Ghost in the Shell 1995 film made the Major seem overly Japanese. It just happened to take place in Japan. That's it. Most Japanese cartoons do not put a heavy emphasis on making characters look Japanese. Because it's a cartoon, it's just an abstract approximation of what humans "look like". The complaints about GiTS are really ridiculous. Her race was never that important to the movie. 

I doubt there's many trans men with experience who can actually act just hanging around. Besides it's actors and actresses' job to act as other people. Most people don't give one shit about this kind of stuff.

I don't see the problem, there aren't that many transgender people and finding someone who is right for the part and can act would probably be hard. I did love her answer to the backlash.

Aeolus451 said:
I doubt there's many trans men with experience who can actually act just hanging around. Besides it's actors and actresses' job to act as other people. Most people don't give one shit about this kind of stuff.

Then by all means get a man to play a trans man. And presentation means everything in a movie, it makes 0 sense to get somebody who doesn't look a smidge masculine to play a trans man. Same reason why everybody was so up in arms about Christian Bale, a white man playing Moses, an Egyptian, or for that matter, Scarlett Jo, a white chick playing Motoko Kusanagi, an Asian chick in GitS.