By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Next Gen Xbox Being Developed With Input From Japanese Devs.

Why even try? Focus on Europe, they used to be strong in the UK and even decent in other countries here, including Scandinavia. Japan is a lost cause, the entire Xbox brand has immense image issues that they won't ever get rid of. It's like trying to sell drugs in church (or something... ). They have actual possibilities in other regions; focus on those instead.

Around the Network

Meh, Japanese Input means nothing to me.

Let the Japanese buy Windows PCs to play Xbox games and keep the quality of Xbox in the US.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 06 July 2018

If they're doing this to bring Japanese 3rd party games to xbox in order to attract the RoW to xbox then I applaud the effort but if they're doing it to get better sales in Japan then I can't help but laugh.

Faelco said:

The very few Japanese titles releasing on Xbox sell poorly on it because the audience for those games is on Playstation and Nintendo. That's it. For 1 Final Fantasy AAA that they get, PS/Nin get 20 smaller or weirder "niche" titles, which will never go to Xbox because Xbox basically doesn't exist in Japan.

A bit of PR saying "Japan daisuki! Naruto is my tomodachi!" won't change anything to a deep cultural and branding issue. 

That is true, but still yu have to try. You build a brand image over time by trying and trying. They did try with X360, but gave up with XB1, which cost them all the work they did before. If you try for multiple generations, you can win over time. See, one huge misstep by Sony and Nintendo, and the japanese gamers look for alternatives. Maybe not all, but some. In such situations the XBox-brand must present itself as at least OKish alternative, to win over these gamers. Add this up over time...

Mummelmann said:
Why even try? Focus on Europe, they used to be strong in the UK and even decent in other countries here, including Scandinavia. Japan is a lost cause, the entire Xbox brand has immense image issues that they won't ever get rid of. It's like trying to sell drugs in church (or something... ). They have actual possibilities in other regions; focus on those instead.

But the thing is: with trying in japan the platform gets japanese games. And people like japanese games even outside japan. I'm sure part of the lower sales of XB1 compared to X360 result from western gamers, that liked western AND japanese games and could get both on X360. But as japanese games aren't present on XB1 they instead choose a PS4.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

yeah they will still buy sony or nintendo for Japanese games. waste of time, money, and resources.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Meh, Japanese Input means nothing to me.

Let the Japanese buy Windows PCs to play Xbox games and keep the quality of Xbox in the US.

My advice, make Windows games compatible with the next Xbox. At least in a curated fashion that allows MS to choose which will be on Xbox. That way more games can be on Xbox with no additional effort.

Japanese games have become niche compared to past relevance. But more games on Xbox is a good thing, so just make it easier for developers to support their hardware.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)