By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Monthly Steam hardware survey analysis

Another thing to note is the big jump AMD makes under Linux, where they're up by over 4% compared to last month, which brings them to over 46%.

Now the question is: Are those due to the steam decks, or did more workstations getting polled this month? The huge jump in the 2.7-3Ghz (from 2.8% to 6.3%!) and the nice increase in the 3.7+Ghz (+1.2 percentage points) suggest it's a bit of both.

Around the Network

Hey Conina, I see that you made a sum for the DX12 group (which is certainly the overwhelming majority of PCs), could you do sum for 3 categories, lower ballpark, similar, and above ballpark compared to Series X and PS5?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Hey Conina, I see that you made a sum for the DX12 group (which is certainly the overwhelming majority of PCs), could you do sum for 3 categories, lower ballpark, similar, and above ballpark compared to Series X and PS5?

About 20% of the Steam PCs are in the PS5/XBSX ballpark (so slightly lower to way higher performance)... should be around 30 - 50 million PCs compared to 34 million consoles:

If we include the RTX 2060, it's every fourth PC instead of every fifth PC:

But most of the RTX 2060 models will have problems with some newer games due to the 6 GB VRAM, so I normally leave it out. The RTX 2060 12 GB models should be fine.

Last edited by Conina - on 05 June 2022

Conina said:
DonFerrari said:

About 20% of the Steam PCs are in the PS5/XBSX ballpark (so slightly lower to way higher performance)... should be around 30 - 50 million PCs compared to 34 million consoles:

If we include the RTX 2060, it's every fourth PC instead of every fifth PC:

But most of the RTX 2060 models will have problems with some newer games due to the 6 GB VRAM, so I normally leave it out. The RTX 2060 12 GB models should be fine.

So perhaps 25-35% equal or above, and 65-75% below PS5/Series.

Considering the rythm like PS4/X1 gen it would be like 50% match by end of their gen or something like that I guess?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

New GPUs in the Steam Stats: RTX 2050, RX 6650 XT + RX 6750 XT.
The generic "AMD Radeon Graphics" go further down to 1,32%.

RDNA2 (including "AMD Radeon Graphics") reached the 3% mark.

Ampere reached 18.2%.

22.18% of the Steam systems are now Raytracing compatible (excluding GPUs with less than 8 GB VRAM like the RTX 2060 + RTX 3050). Including them, over 30% of of the Steam systems are now Raytracing compatible.

Intel CPUs have fallen to 66.25%, AMD CPUs are in moree than a third of the Steam systems the first time.

The share of VR headsets is going up and down like crazy: May 3.24%, June 1.87%, July 6.67% ???

I won't track Kepler (GTX 7x0), Maxwell 1.0 (GTX 750/Ti) and Radeon HD GPUs (HD 7x00, HD 8x00) anymore:

Around the Network

Also worth noting is that under Linux, AMD is for the first time ever bigger than Intel.

And considering most growth is from CPUs with high clock speeds, it's certainly not just the steamdeck's reason that this was achieved now

Thank you, Conina.

I doubt many will miss Kepler, Maxwell and GCN 1.0 cards after these years, and the tables are a bit less bloated.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I'll miss Maxwell. The 970 was such a legendary GPU from it's time. The MSRP was $329 while being able to trade blows with the much more expensive 980 who's MSRP was $549 was insane. Not to mention it rolfstomped the 780 Ti from the previous generation which had an MSRP of $700. And unlike it's rival from AMD and their 300 series, Maxwell is still getting driver updates from Nvidia.

These days it's all segmented too well to where that sort of a situation will rarely happen. But back then, it was incredible to see. Not to mention the 3.5GB memes.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

No big changes in August.

New GPUs which showed up in the Steam Stats: RTX 3070 Ti Laptop and Radeon RX 6700S.

Some gains for Ampere GPUs, RDNA2 is still stalling.

Almost a quarter of the surveyed PCs now have an Ampere GPU, Turing+Ampere now is over 50%.

Over 60% of the surveyed PCs are now faster than the fastest last-gen console, 27% are raytracing compatible with at least 8 GB VRAM:

Thanks to the Steam Deck, the Linux share has grown ~30% over the year from ~1% to 1.28%.

25% of the Linux share are now Steam Decks: