By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Monthly Steam hardware survey analysis

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Conina said:

It would be nice if they splitted up "4 cores" into "4 cores / 4 threads" and "4 cores / 8 threads".
Instead of "6 cores" a split into "6 cores / 6 threads" and "6 cores / 12 threads".
Instead of "8 cores" a split into "8 cores / 8 threads" and "8 cores / 16 threads".

Many old i7 CPUs (4 cores / 8 threads) are still okay, while old i5 CPUs (4 cores / 4 threads) are struggling with newer games.

Do the cpus report how many threads they have or only their number of cores? Because if not, it might be very difficult to achieve.

It seems to be easy to find out all the relevant numbers, at least in C#: https://stackoverflow.com/a/2670568 It's probably not all that much harder in other languages either, so Valve should definitely be able to do this.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 10 April 2022

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Do the cpus report how many threads they have or only their number of cores? Because if not, it might be very difficult to achieve.

It seems to be easy to find out all the relevant numbers, at least in C#: https://stackoverflow.com/a/2670568 It's probably not all that much harder in other languages either, so Valve should definitely be able to do this.

The question is if Steam actually has access to the data used or just to the registery.

Hallelujah!

Steam has separated the RX 6600/XT GPUs from the generic "AMD Radeon Graphics".

RDNA2 (including "AMD Radeon Graphics") rises from 2.25% to 2.68%.

Ampere almost reached the 15% mark.

It seems like more old PCs got asked for the survey this month. Some old GPUs are increasing slightly and on he CPU side, hexacore lost over 1% while everything else, including single, dual and quadcores, went up. But at the same time, AMD gained 0.90% on Intel

Yeah there is always variance in the surveys month to month as the samples change, it's normal.

Seems I am one of the 1% in terms of PC configs according to the Steam survey... High-end is a lonely place to be.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

At the same time, DX8 GPUs now passed 5% of total GPUs. Valve seriously needs to update their system and their database as it seems it's about 10 years it got overhauled for the last time other than the addition of VR and new OS.

^That's not going to happen. Be thankful that they even bothered to split the 6600-/XT and the 6900 from the rest this late in the generation.

Thanks for the numbers, Conina.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Pemalite said:

Yeah there is always variance in the surveys month to month as the samples change, it's normal.

Seems I am one of the 1% in terms of PC configs according to the Steam survey... High-end is a lonely place to be.

Should've gone with a high end guitar instead?

RDNA2 (including "AMD Radeon Graphics") rises from 2.68% to 2.76%.

Ampere rises from 14.93% to 16.03%.

DX12 GPUs rise from 91.82% to 92.66%

AMD CPUs rise from 31.57% to 32.79%.

Intel CPUs fall from 68.42% to 67.19%.

"Steam users with VR headsets" share rises from 1.89% to 3.24%... WTF?

Perhaps they changed their survey method. For example they could count accounts/systems which played VR games recently, even when the VR headset ain't connected at the time of the survey. 

It's good to see everyone rising... well, eevryone except Intel.

And yeah, the VR rise is even more impressive when you add all the changes and the result is just a 0.02% increase. Weird.

Thank you, Conina.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.