By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why console crossplay will mean nothing in the long run

We have seen it time and time again, Sony needs to jump on board or MS will take next gen for being pro consumer and supporting cross play.  While it would certainly benefit us all if Sony did cave in to it, lets be realistic here...

The argument is that while Sony has more consoles than Switch and PS4 combined, they can pull this crap without consequences.  However when the next gen kicks off and they are on equal footing, people might favor MS for their cross play policies.  Well folks, that is a load of rubbish.

The fact of the matter is that when next gen kicks off, there are only two consoles that could even do it with eachother.  PS5 and XB(2).  If one side says no, neither can benefit from it.  The whole argument is only possible while Nintendo is still a factor in the whole cross play argument  and lets face it, they just barely make the cut as is.  When new consoles drop, there will be no Switch version for the games people care about (almost like there is not much now) and therefore MS will have only PC crossplay for major titles, which Sony is also willing to do.

All of this negative press is amusing TBH, and people also forget that while Sony has no cross play, they so not lock F2P games behind a paywall like MS does.  They both have their faults.

So the reality is that as things stand now, when next gen hits people are more likely to think about...

-Sony pumps out high quality 1st party games frequently while MS does not (currently)

-MS locks F2P games behind a paywall while Sony does not

-Nintendo won't even have a version of the online games for MS to crossplay with anyway

Sony is not stupid, they know this.  This is why they are not sweating all the trash talk because unless they drop the ball somewhere else, it is irrelevant.

Do I like it?  No, of course not.  But lets stop the BD about how it will turn people away from the PS5, because lets be real, unless Nintendo puts out a console that can contend power wise, it is a non factor.

Thoughts?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

I honestly don't care how it affects sales, I'm not a shareholder. So, I didn't make a claim on how it'd affect sales, I'm saying that they should have cross-play and it's detrimental to us by them not allowing it.

I don't see the point in discussing this tbh. Nintendo and MS fans love it because their companies does it and Sony fans don't think its a big deal because their company doesn't do it. Game companies can do whatever they want. They don't need to serve the gamers anymore. Gamers are serving the companies now. Its like sports teams. Fans love them no matter what they do.

The Playstation 2 is unstoppable. They can charge whatever they want for the PS3, and the Xbox 360 won't be able to do anything about it. Sony knows this.

I don't think it affects sales. The XBO has been having it's best year sales wise and the Switch is selling really goof and they both have crossplay.
Mentioning that MS has a pay wall for F2P is like a kid getting in trouble and then being like "but so and so also dI'd this", doesn't make Sony's problem any better.
Personally I'd love to see crossplay become the norm with PS4. For the last few weeks I've been playing with my friends that game on PC on Fortnite and RL. Also gonna start playing RL and Fortnite with my sister today. Will let her use my Switch and I'll play on my Xbox.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
I don't see the point in discussing this tbh. Nintendo and MS fans love it because their companies does it and Sony fans don't think its a big deal because their company doesn't do it. Game companies can do whatever they want. They don't need to serve the gamers anymore. Gamers are serving the companies now. Its like sports teams. Fans love them no matter what they do.

Anecdotal but most of my friends with PS4s think it's dumb that Sony doesn't allow it.

jason1637 said:
KLXVER said:

Anecdotal but most of my friends with PS4s think it's dumb that Sony doesn't allow it.

So have they switched to XB1 or PC gaming?

KLXVER said:
jason1637 said:

Just because its not a deal breaker doesn't mean the people have to be happy with it.

Xbox and Switch users are playing together on their preferred platforms, that's just dandy and I don't think its hurting either company. Users seem to be happy about it as well.

I'm not sure why people defend Sony on this. Sony does this because they believe its in their benefit, not their fans benefit.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
KLXVER said:

Just because its not a deal breaker doesn't mean the people have to be happy with it.

Xbox and Switch users are playing together on their preferred platforms, that's just dandy and I don't think its hurting either company. Users seem to be happy about it as well.

I'm not sure why people defend Sony on this. Sony does this because they believe its in their benefit, not their fans benefit.

No, but it wont change anything. So it doesn't matter.

Shiken said: 

Do I like it?  No, of course not.

This is the problem. People are simply being critical of Sony for not giving them a simple feature 3rd party developers want to provide.

Crossplay isn't crucial, but its a feature people really want.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)