By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Greatest Nintendo launch title?

My vote goes to...

Super Mario Bros 9 6.98%

Super Mario World 10 7.75%

Mario 64 38 29.46%

Wii Sports 6 4.65%

Zelda Twilight Princess 5 3.88%

Zelda Breath of the Wild 60 46.51%

Other 1 0.78%

Total:129
curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

Its an age thing and of course recency bias with BoTW. 10 years from now and likely a different new launch title will be at the top, while everything else is low.

I didn't even mention BOTW, it's only the vote spread across Mario Bros/World/64 that surprises me.

Yes I brought it into the conversation as an indicator of age.

Most voters voted for BoTW, and for all the other voters the same age as the ones who voted for BoTW, but instead decided to vote for something else. It is clear that most of these voters do not have the memory or the age and so are less likely to be Mario Bros or World fans and more likely to be 64 fans.

It's a convoluted sentence, but I hope it is understood.

Around the Network

I think I'll actually go with Wii Sports. That was a highly successful killer app that brought the Wii its high sales.

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

I didn't even mention BOTW, it's only the vote spread across Mario Bros/World/64 that surprises me.

Yes I brought it into the conversation as an indicator of age.

Most voters voted for BoTW, and for all the other voters the same age as the ones who voted for BoTW, but instead decided to vote for something else. It is clear that most of these voters do not have the memory or the age and so are less likely to be Mario Bros or World fans and more likely to be 64 fans.

It's a convoluted sentence, but I hope it is understood.

I've been gaming since the 80s but can easily see why BOTW and M64 would be voted for instead, Super Mario World may be seen as a great game but as a launch title it didn't have the same impact as these games it in fact took the release of DKC years later to really send the platform flying, many older gamers also prefer and actually see SMB3 as the better game as well. SMB helped the NES overcome the crash but the platform has a staggered release for western players, when it was launching it was a steady performance as far as launch performance goes and due to the staggered launch it was launched in a number of countries with other games like Zelda.

I’d rank them as
1. Breath of the Wild
2. Super Mario Bros
3. Wii Sports
4. Super Mario 64
5. Super Mario World

In that order, and they were all awesome!

Personally, in the long run I ended up liking Super Mario World more than 64, but Super Mario World lacked the same level of hype and enthusiasm that the other 4 games had - I remember physically fighting my friend’s elder sister in order to play Super Mario Bros! But NES was perpetually rare, and not because it wasn’t popular, but because it was hard to come by. Super Mario World also launched in the wake of Super Mario Bros 3, which is potentially why it lacked the same level of enthusiasm.

PS. Pretty sure Legend of Zelda was a launch title in most countries too, according to Wikipedia it wasn’t, but by my memory it was... But NES had a very weird launch any way in that it released in some cities before others.

Putting Wii Sports seems a little wrong, I want to put it higher; even first. There are few games in history that had such a gigantic amount of hysteria surrounding them, and Wii Sports may have been the biggest of them all. I remember similar excitement around Super Mario Bros 3, Sonic 2, Donkey among Country, GE007, Final Fantasy 7, and GTA 3/Vice City; but maybe only Pokemon Go was anything like Wii Sports in terms of seeing bands of people at 5 am and knowing they were outside at that time because of a game....The Wii had people camping out in front of stores for months (not the same people! But people would go to the front of the store and wait all night until morning - and the reason they went and waited all night is because other people would come and take their spot if they didn’t. If you got there at 2am, chances are high you might already be too late.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 09 July 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.