By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 16 June 2018

I was expecting a PS4 spike due to the $50 price cut on e3 week

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network

There are less and less people who don't have a PS4... And this not really a console that family wish to get twice.

Sometimes it looks like people here believe that the number of human on earth is infinite.

Amnesia said:

There are less and less people who don't have a PS4... And this not really a console that family wish to get twice.

Sometimes it looks like people here believe that the number of human on earth is infinite.

If your point is that the well is bound to dry up, that's just plain wrong. Families might buy more than one because they don't want to share. If more than one member is a gamer, that's definitely the case. Some people might buy more than one because they don't want to switch it from tv to tv.

There's 7 billion potential costumers out there. 80 million consoles sold hardly dries up the well.

Last edited by Aeolus451 - on 03 July 2018

Aeolus451 said:
Amnesia said:

If your point is that the well is bound to dry up, that's just plain wrong. Families might buy more than one because they don't want to share. If more than one member is a gamer, that's definitely the case. Some people might buy more than one because they don't want to switch it from tv to tv.

There's 11 billion potential costumers out there. 80 million consoles sold hardly dries up the well.

How did you get the 11 billion figure?

VGPolyglot said:
Aeolus451 said:

There's 11 billion potential costumers out there. 80 million consoles sold hardly dries up the well.

I meant 7. I saw a population prediction of 11 billion by 2100 and I guess the numbers got switched up in my head. *shrugs I'll edit it.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Aeolus451 said:

It rhymes with 7...

EDIT , you beat me to it!

In reality though, the pool is much smaller than 7 billion. A massive chunk of the planet's population struggle to feed themselves, never mind stump up $400 for a games console... You then have a tonne of people who missed the boat on gaming : 50yo +, you're not going to convert a meaningful fraction of them to PS4 (Wii Sports maybe...)

Last edited by Biggerboat1 - on 03 July 2018

A300dollar system is noo where neardone when its srill selling 200k+ each weak!

Many,many people are waiting for that 250-200sweetspot

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

You can try to explain how you want, still you won't convince me that the PS4 has as many "double selling per family" potentiel as the Switch has.

The Switch is much more focused for children (sorry for the offense but this is the truth still). I imagine much more an addicted family having in some excentric (rich) cases : 1 PS4 mainly for the father and 2 switches for the 2 children who always fight to play with it.

It is like the summer holidays : the Switch has a strong boost in reserve for the coming weeks with children and young student 3 months holidays, but an industrial like me who is 34 and only takes 1-2 weeks of holidays for summer, doesn't give a shit to buy the PS4 in March or in August.

Ps4 is still having one of its best years and people think the well is drying.
Its not even close really if Sony sells the console for €200 in November it will again have supply issues.
There is at least potentialfor 120 million units if the PS5 releases holiday 2021. And that's probably lowballing it by quite a good amount. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Amnesia said:

275m consoles were sold during 7th gen and so far only 150m have been sold in 8th gen (even counting the Switch), that leaves us with 125m people who haven't migrated to the current generation.

And yes, I know a big chunk of the Wii base was composed of casuals, but we also have to take into account the potential new buyers (teens who were too young to have a console back then and people from the emerging markets).