By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Hollow Knight sells 250.000 units in two weeks on the Nintendo Switch

Peh said:
jigokutamago said:

I have 60 hours into the game. I disagree.

Only thing I really hate about the game is these f***ers.

Yeah, annoying little fuckers especially in the arena.

I've only attempeted and defeated the first stage of the arena and they are really annoying, I now got a cool power-up that might help fighting them though

Around the Network

It looks a lot like Muramasa on the Wii, and that's one of my favourite games ever. Anyone around who played both of those? What's your opinion?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

This game is an absolute classic! This is by far my second favorite game on the Switch after BOTW. A close second.

This is the best Metroidvania I have ever played. This game is amazing. This game is The ultimate Metroidvania game.

The music, secrets, graphics, exhilarating boss fights, abilities.

This game feels a lot like Zelda 2 where the sense of growth does not only come from better gear or more HP, but also from actually getting better at the game.

I can’t recommend this game enough.

RolStoppable said:
morenoingrato said:

Can you elaborate why?

I kind of agree with the overall sentiment, just want to see your reasoning.

The map doesn't get drawn until you reach a save point. Save points aren't in close proximity to boss fights, so you can't immediately try again like in the various Castlevania games. Fast travel points are so scarce that some areas don't even have one; when you feel that you are stuck in one area and want to go to another one, there is lots of time wasted for backtracking. The charm system is completely botched because you get hardly any points to equip them and because the charms themselves only grant very small improvements. Health and weapon upgrades are nearly non-existent for a game of this length. Hollow Knight falls flat in providing growth for the playable character because there are no proper rewards for all the hardships the player has to go through. You play for hours upon hours, but have very little to show for it.

When you put up Hollow Knight against similar games on Switch, like Axiom Verge, Shantae, Guacamelee or SteamWorld Dig 2, it's pretty obvious that Hollow Knight isn't even remotely close to being as fun as those. Even the low-profile Aeternoblade is better than Hollow Knight. When you move beyond Switch and look at loads of Metroid and Castlevania titles, Hollow Knight comes across as a poorly made game. Team Cherry is comparable to a writer who is well-versed in spelling, grammar and vocabulary, but story and character development in his novel is illogical and incoherent and full of plot holes; Team Cherry can program, but they can't design.

Wow. This is one of the few instances that I disagree with you. I actually strongly disagree with you here.  You’re wrong 

Valdney said:
This game is an absolute classic! This is by far my second favorite game on the Switch after BOTW. A close second.

This is the best Metroidvania I have ever played. This game is amazing. This game is The ultimate Metroidvania game.

This game feels a lot like Zelda 2 where the sense of growth does not only come from better gear or more HP, but also from actually getting better at the game.

It is a great game. The only thing holding it back a bit for me is the map system. The map doesn't get revealed as you explore a place like in Metroid or some Castlevanias. You have to stumble around in the dark until you find a bench where you sit down and then the map for where you went gets revealed to you. It was very frustrating at times.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Valdney said:

It is a great game. The only thing holding it back a bit for me is the map system. The map doesn't get revealed as you explore a place like in Metroid or some Castlevanias. You have to stumble around in the dark until you find a bench where you sit down and then the map for where you went gets revealed to you. It was very frustrating at times.

That is a little annoying, but it didn’t bother me that much to be honest. When I adore a game so much I tend to overlook the shortcomings that it might have. 

Last edited by Valdney - on 14 June 2020

Valdney said:
KLXVER said:

That is a little annoying, but it didn’t bother me that much to be honest. When I adore a game so much I tend to overlook the shortcomings that it might have. 

Sure. Its not a game breaker by any means. Cant wait for Silksong

mZuzek said:
KLXVER said:

I don't see this as an issue at all, if anything I think it makes the game more exciting. Going into a new area always feels just that bit more scary because of that fear of getting lost without a map to guide you, and it's such a big relief when you hear the cartographer's music and go after him. I just think it's one of many elements unique to Hollow Knight that make the game so special and awesome.

Not sure why the necrobump, though.

Well that's awesome for you if you find it fun. I just found it frustrating at times.

This is a masterpiece

One of the best "metroidvania" games this gen along with Ori. The game can get tough at times and asks a little more of you than many similar titles but it’s actually quite fair and very well designed. The progression can be slow at times, when you have to backtrack, but there are a lot of hidden content that will aid you if you’re thorough in your exploration. Finding the right balance of charms to tackle a particular challenge is also very satifying.

Love the art style, the music, the gameplay... This one ended up being a surprise gem to me and ranks among my favourite games of the current gen.

I completed it on the Switch, but then got it again for the PS4 when it went on sale a while ago.

Highly recommended if you’re up for a challenge that doesn’t spoon feed you every step of the way. The map system requires you to work for it a little, and if you can’t remember more than one screen worth of pathways, then I suppose it can eventually get frustrating. I personally think it made me remember the various layouts better by not being able to always rely on the map.  

Finally, I fully agree with the comment right above mine. ^^

Last edited by Hynad - on 14 June 2020