By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom: "MHW can't be done on Switch." But might make a Switch specific MH game. (Rumor)

John2290 said:
routsounmanman said:

The monsters move and behave almost in the same rigid, telegraphed way as the older games. I couldn't care less for 4K textures, god-rays and high polygon counts. This is MH HD.

Digital foundry alone state how this is not simply a reskin. If you think MHWs monsters and environments and the dynamics of it all is the same as older titles you need to replay those games because you are looking through some serious rose tinted glasses there bud, the difference is more noticeable than the graphics. It's not exactly GoW 3 to GoW 2018 difference but its a pretty massive difference and enough to hundreds of thousands of people to buy consoles for it, first month. 

The same Digital Foundry that said that they didn't think Doom was possible on the Switch? And I never said 3DS MH games and MHW are the same, of course they're more advanced. But 3DS and Switch are also not the same. It's like saying PS3 level architecture (maybe even higher) is not capable of such features. Hello no.

Hiku said:
routsounmanman said:

The monsters move and behave almost in the same rigid, telegraphed way as the older games. I couldn't care less for 4K textures, god-rays and high polygon counts. This is MH HD.

Just the fact that Monster Hunter World is one single big open area, rather than several small areas with loading time, is by itself a huge difference from the previous games.
If it was MH HD, areas would still be segregated with loading screens.

routsounmanman said:

And yet there's no Street Fighter V port. Or a KH3 port. Or a -proper- RE7 port. To be clear, I am not saying it CAN be done, all I'm saying is Capcom saying so, doesn't give it any credibility whatsoever, since they've shown to be totally incapable of making the right decisions, like, at all.

And what about Panic Button? I remember them indirectly calling out to Capcom for a port. I guess they don't know more about development than you guys, right? 

And I'm still waiting for someone to point me to something specific on MHW that cannot be done on the Switch. 

But the question at this point is not "what makes you think MHW wouldn't work on Switch" but rather "what makes you think it would?"
When we seemingly have no precedence of a game of that scale being ported over without cutting the framerate in half (among other things), and Japanese big third party multiplat games announced for PS4, XBO, PC are still usually not announced for Switch.

Again, I am not saying it definitely could. I don't know how to develop for the Switch (although I am a developer myself). I cannot take Capcom seriously though when they say that it cannot be done.

pokoko said:
routsounmanman said:

And yet there's no Street Fighter V port. Or a KH3 port. Or a -proper- RE7 port. To be clear, I am not saying it CAN be done, all I'm saying is Capcom saying so, doesn't give it any credibility whatsoever, since they've shown to be totally incapable of making the right decisions, like, at all.

And what about Panic Button? I remember them indirectly calling out to Capcom for a port. I guess they don't know more about development than you guys, right? 

And I'm still waiting for someone to point me to something specific on MHW that cannot be done on the Switch. 

You mean the company that just had their best year ever and best selling game ever?  

We rate this claim false.

Remember Nintendo during the peak of the Wii / DS era? Yeah, we saw how long that lasted. Capcom's value and state are inflated. They are in a good spot, but far from what the numbers imply.

NintendoPie said:
HintHRO said:

Still in denial after this clear statement? Switch can't handle MHW, done. Everybody knows this. Switch doesn't even run the 3DS port in 60FPS. ''Business-related reasons'' are so unlikely when you consider the success of the Switch. If MHW on Switch was possible, nobody would be stupid enough to not make a port ASAP. 

Don't be so dramatic. I have owned one MH game and didn't even enjoy it, so please tell me why I would be in "denial." I'm just pointing out the obvious. This is a business decision; Capcom doesn't state anything in the quotes the OP has posted about the Switch not being able to handle MHW. You act as if there isn't a company out there that would pay for exclusivity or as if it's never happened before. 

And Capcom is certainly stupid.

Ditto.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
HintHRO said:

Still in denial after this clear statement? Switch can't handle MHW, done. Everybody knows this. Switch doesn't even run the 3DS port in 60FPS. ''Business-related reasons'' are so unlikely when you consider the success of the Switch. If MHW on Switch was possible, nobody would be stupid enough to not make a port ASAP. 

Don't be so dramatic. I have owned one MH game and didn't even enjoy it, so please tell me why I would be in "denial." I'm just pointing out the obvious. This is a business decision; Capcom doesn't state anything in the quotes the OP has posted about the Switch not being able to handle MHW. You act as if there isn't a company out there that would pay for exclusivity or as if it's never happened before. 

The article pretty explicitly stated that Capcom says it can't be done. Considering their previous desire to determine if it was possible and that from a purely business standpoint it would be smart to port it, it's safe to say it can't be done because of hardware limitations.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

300 gflops undocked and 700 docked. What did you guys thought will happen?

routsounmanman said:
John2290 said:

Digital foundry alone state how this is not simply a reskin. If you think MHWs monsters and environments and the dynamics of it all is the same as older titles you need to replay those games because you are looking through some serious rose tinted glasses there bud, the difference is more noticeable than the graphics. It's not exactly GoW 3 to GoW 2018 difference but its a pretty massive difference and enough to hundreds of thousands of people to buy consoles for it, first month. 

The same Digital Foundry that said that they didn't think Doom was possible on the Switch? And I never said 3DS MH games and MHW are the same, of course they're more advanced. But 3DS and Switch are also not the same. It's like saying PS3 level architecture (maybe even higher) is not capable of such features. Hello no.

Hiku said:

Just the fact that Monster Hunter World is one single big open area, rather than several small areas with loading time, is by itself a huge difference from the previous games.
If it was MH HD, areas would still be segregated with loading screens.

But the question at this point is not "what makes you think MHW wouldn't work on Switch" but rather "what makes you think it would?"
When we seemingly have no precedence of a game of that scale being ported over without cutting the framerate in half (among other things), and Japanese big third party multiplat games announced for PS4, XBO, PC are still usually not announced for Switch.

Again, I am not saying it definitely could. I don't know how to develop for the Switch (although I am a developer myself). I cannot take Capcom seriously though when they say that it cannot be done.

pokoko said:

You mean the company that just had their best year ever and best selling game ever?  

We rate this claim false.

Remember Nintendo during the peak of the Wii / DS era? Yeah, we saw how long that lasted. Capcom's value and state are inflated. They are in a good spot, but far from what the numbers imply.

NintendoPie said:

Ditto.

First, John's post was in response to you claiming that World is just MH HD. Quit moving goalposts and setting up strawmen- you clearly didn't know what you were talking about. Man up and admit you were speaking from an uninformed place and you'll retain much more dignity than you would strawmanning against facts.

Second, the way you're acting and the performance you demand of the Switch means one of two things. Either you're not a developer at all, or you're making guesses from a game you know absolutely nothing about. If it's the former, shame for impersonating one to make a point. If it's the latter, shame for not behaving like a developer at all.

Honestly, arguing against the word of one of the biggest names in gaming when they have nearly overwhelming support and are enjoying their new personal Golden Age just seems ridiculous. The Wii/DS era also started a decade ago, and I would hardly expect a person to be the same after ten years, much less a company with regular seat changes.

And Capcom is stupid? Are they stupid because they made gangbusters where all of the Nintendo MH fans said they would lose money? Are they stupid because they remembered Mega Man is dope? Are they stupid because the remembered Resident Evil is a horror game first, not action? Are they stupid because they agreed that DmC was awful and is instead making DMC5? They might have been stupid in the past, they're killing it right now.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Pagan said:

300 gflops undocked and 700 docked. What did you guys thought will happen?

I'm sure we were all thinking Sony would make a backroom deal with Capcom, to make a Monster Hunter that could only be played on PS4/Xbone/PC, out of desparation to hold the Japanese market.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rumour-western-focused-monster-hunter-5-for-ps4-mh-portable-series-for-switch.1302699/

This rumour from 2 years ago has pretty much been right about everything so far, and it says their contract forbids any version of Monster Hunter World on Switch. Specifically the Switch. Take from it what you will.

At least Monster Hunter World is a good, finished game, not a dumpster fire like SFV and Sony's attempt to monopolize the fighting game market. RIP Mad Catz.

Around the Network
Pagan said:

300 *157 gflops undocked and 700  *393 docked. What did you guys thought will happen?

Pretty sure you got those numbers wrong.
Switch is 157 Gflops (handheld) and 393 Gflops (docked)  (PS4 = 1,84 Tflops, XB1 = 1,31 Tflops)

also everyone was always saying this.... that Switch wouldnt be able to run MHW (back in the old thread about it).
So its not really a surprise to anyone (or atleast it shouldnt be).

JRPGfan said:
Pagan said:

300 *157 gflops undocked and 700  *393 docked. What did you guys thought will happen?

Pretty sure you got those numbers wrong.
Switch is 157 Gflops (handheld) and 393 Gflops (docked)  (PS4 = 1,84 Tflops, XB1 = 1,31 Tflops)

also everyone was always saying this.... that Switch wouldnt be able to run MHW (back in the old thread about it).
So its not really a surprise to anyone (or atleast it 

Amd Flops are not equal to Nvidia flops. But you are right. 700 gflops is not correct. Had those numbers in my had from the release time.

Azuren said:
routsounmanman said:

Ditto.

First, John's post was in response to you claiming that World is just MH HD. Quit moving goalposts and setting up strawmen- you clearly didn't know what you were talking about. Man up and admit you were speaking from an uninformed place and you'll retain much more dignity than you would strawmanning against facts.

Second, the way you're acting and the performance you demand of the Switch means one of two things. Either you're not a developer at all, or you're making guesses from a game you know absolutely nothing about. If it's the former, shame for impersonating one to make a point. If it's the latter, shame for not behaving like a developer at all.

Honestly, arguing against the word of one of the biggest names in gaming when they have nearly overwhelming support and are enjoying their new personal Golden Age just seems ridiculous. The Wii/DS era also started a decade ago, and I would hardly expect a person to be the same after ten years, much less a company with regular seat changes.

And Capcom is stupid? Are they stupid because they made gangbusters where all of the Nintendo MH fans said they would lose money? Are they stupid because they remembered Mega Man is dope? Are they stupid because the remembered Resident Evil is a horror game first, not action? Are they stupid because they agreed that DmC was awful and is instead making DMC5? They might have been stupid in the past, they're killing it right now.

I actually own the game and a PS4 Pro. I see a shiny coat of paint, and the same rigid movement, mechanics and AI, just smoothed out and sped up. Again, vastly superior to MH on 3DS, just nothing the Switch could not handle. Apparently massive worlds, multiple enemies fighting each other or moving through the map did not exist on PS3. Good to know.

And yes, they are indeed stupid. A large portion of the community is calling them Crapcom for a reason. A large portion of the Nintendo fan-base specifically is enraged towards them.

They "remembered" Mega Man, yes. Who "forgot" him in the first place? Who drove him into the mud? Funny you mention RE7, cause it sold way less than RE6, a moving turd of a game. And funny you don't mention SFV and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. I guess they couldn't fit into your "success". The sole HUGE success they have is MHW, and I was on of those people that thought it would flop, that much I admit, at least in comparison to other entries in the series.

not surorised to hear capcom will making a monster hunter for switch...

HintHRO said:
NintendoPie said:
"can't be done on Switch" doesn't mean "Switch can't handle it (graphically.)" Is there any further statements as to why Capcom can't do it from this briefing? If not, it's certainly possible it could be done, but it can't and won't for business-related reasons.

To be honest, I couldn't care less. Capcom already lost a big swath of cash from skimping on Switch and if they want to regain that in the future, they'll find a way

Monster Hunter XX supporting crossplay between the 3DS and Switch versions probably factored into the decision of keeping the Switch version at 30fps.