By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom: "MHW can't be done on Switch." But might make a Switch specific MH game. (Rumor)

John2290 said:
routsounmanman said:

I think it actually is MH in HD. I bought it along with my PS4 Pro a while back, and while some quality of life improvements are implemented, I was overall disappointed. Same old MH, with a fresh coat of paint.

OP: I wouldn't trust Capcom with anything at this point. I can picture them taking MHW, hacking at stuff (resolution, textures, AI, shadows, etc) until it runs at a respectable frame rate, then call it quits. And then they brainstorm a chibi version of MH for the Switch, to "better fit the demographic".

That's like saying BoTW is a fresh coat of paint on Zelda games. Nonsense. Hmm, that is no ordinary MH game, there is huge difference and for someone like me, who thought older MH games were bland in the actual hunting I wouldn't go near it if it were simply a fresh coat of paint but as it clearly is not and has been elevated with tech which has been used insanely well. 

The monsters move and behave almost in the same rigid, telegraphed way as the older games. I couldn't care less for 4K textures, god-rays and high polygon counts. This is MH HD.

Around the Network

Give me RE4 instead, Capcom. NOW!

NintendoPie said:
"can't be done on Switch" doesn't mean "Switch can't handle it (graphically.)" Is there any further statements as to why Capcom can't do it from this briefing? If not, it's certainly possible it could be done, but it can't and won't for business-related reasons.

To be honest, I couldn't care less. Capcom already lost a big swath of cash from skimping on Switch and if they want to regain that in the future, they'll find a way

Still in denial after this clear statement? Switch can't handle MHW, done. Everybody knows this. Switch doesn't even run the 3DS port in 60FPS. ''Business-related reasons'' are so unlikely when you consider the success of the Switch. If MHW on Switch was possible, nobody would be stupid enough to not make a port ASAP. 

HintHRO said:
NintendoPie said:
"can't be done on Switch" doesn't mean "Switch can't handle it (graphically.)" Is there any further statements as to why Capcom can't do it from this briefing? If not, it's certainly possible it could be done, but it can't and won't for business-related reasons.

To be honest, I couldn't care less. Capcom already lost a big swath of cash from skimping on Switch and if they want to regain that in the future, they'll find a way

Still in denial after this clear statement? Switch can't handle MHW, done. Everybody knows this. Switch doesn't even run the 3DS port in 60FPS. ''Business-related reasons'' are so unlikely when you consider the success of the Switch. If MHW on Switch was possible, nobody would be stupid enough to not make a port ASAP. 

And yet there's no Street Fighter V port. Or a KH3 port. Or a -proper- RE7 port. To be clear, I am not saying it CAN be done, all I'm saying is Capcom saying so, doesn't give it any credibility whatsoever, since they've shown to be totally incapable of making the right decisions, like, at all.

And what about Panic Button? I remember them indirectly calling out to Capcom for a port. I guess they don't know more about development than you guys, right? 

And I'm still waiting for someone to point me to something specific on MHW that cannot be done on the Switch. 

Last edited by routsounmanman - on 28 June 2018

John2290 said:
routsounmanman said:

Capcom also apparently couldn't make RE7 to work on the Switch natively so they made the cloud version. They must be right, right? 

Just because Capcom is lazy af and stupid doesn't automatically mean MHW cannot work on Switch. I have played the game, please point me to the things that simply could not work on the Switch. You apparently have some developer knowledge.

No dude, MHW could not work on the switch in its current form. They'd have to strip out so much stuff that the AI would end up being on set paths and/or enviroments would have to able remoddled and  redesigned arohnd a static state... There would have to be so much cut from  the game besides graphics here.

Check google search to see what's going on under the hood and the tech that makes up the gamesm and you'll instantly realize why the game would need to be dramatically redesigned and if they add a sequel to be released on switch the power gap would drastically hold the games potential back, itd end up like an old school MH rather than MH world which is clearly a big hit for the evolution of the series, that's not fair to people who bought Ps4s, X1s for MHworld.

Its's Not a bad thing anyway. Now there'll be two seperate MH series for fans... How can this be a bad thing. 

Even if the managed to cut down MHW for the switch by some miracle and reskinned theentire game just imagine the FPS. I mean Fortnites port is reportedly hitting 20 fps at 360p in handheld mode. Why would anykne pay for such a subpar experience?

Skyrim handles many concurrent NPC interactions / scenarios in real time as well, in a much bigger world. And you're really telling me a PS3-grade tech cannot handle a game like MHW? In that case, GTAV, and many other games would have never existed.

I agree on the whole being 2 series is better for fans. More hardcore, portable series focused on Japan for Nintendo, MHW-like experiences for the rest. I concur, that that's the best course of action.

Nevertheless, I am still waiting for a definitive answer to my question. What exactly is there that makes MHW so hard to bring over? If anything, I'm more inclined to believe that Capcom indeed has some sort of deal not to port MHW over to the Switch, and instead of saying it outright, bring up the "not doable" excuse. 

Around the Network

This is probably the best solution and the most realistic one. It should however not be a 3DS style copy, but rather a from the ground up game which A: adds all the good mechanics from MHW and B: keeps all the good stuff from the older ones (IE: more monsters and more variations).

routsounmanman said:

And yet there's no Street Fighter V port. Or a KH3 port. Or a -proper- RE7 port. To be clear, I am not saying it CAN be done, all I'm saying is Capcom saying so, doesn't give it any credibility whatsoever, since they've shown to be totally incapable of making the right decisions, like, at all.

And what about Panic Button? I remember them indirectly calling out to Capcom for a port. I guess they don't know more about development than you guys, right? 

And I'm still waiting for someone to point me to something specific on MHW that cannot be done on the Switch. 

You mean the company that just had their best year ever and best selling game ever?  

We rate this claim false.

They are quite different machines, so making a specific game for each looks like a more sensible solution than making a single game to fit both that could end up being half-assed on one of them. As long as both games return a net profit lifetime, but this should be almost granted for every major title in the series on any major gaming platform.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

HintHRO said:
NintendoPie said:

Really. MonHun Double Cross isn't 60fps? Well, WiiU is stronger than, as WiiU could run the 3DS-MonHun port in 1080p60.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

HintHRO said:
NintendoPie said:

Don't be so dramatic. I have owned one MH game and didn't even enjoy it, so please tell me why I would be in "denial." I'm just pointing out the obvious. This is a business decision; Capcom doesn't state anything in the quotes the OP has posted about the Switch not being able to handle MHW. You act as if there isn't a company out there that would pay for exclusivity or as if it's never happened before. 

And Capcom is certainly stupid.

Last edited by NintendoPie - on 28 June 2018