Forums - Sony Discussion - This is PSVR's Killer App

Cerebralbore101 said:
Tmfwang said:

You need VR to play the VR levels.

Speaking as a person who doesn't own VR, Dreams is the single title which could get me to buy one. The amount of content is just ever-growing, and you could get so many unique and amazing experiences in this that you couldn't have gotten anywhere else :P

You needed PSVR to play RE7 in VR mode. RE7 wasn't a killer app for PSVR though. What makes this different? I mean, I'm open to arguments at this point. 

I feel like a killer app for PSVR is a game that makes you go out and buy a headset. The VR mode for Dreams is exclusive to VR (obviously) and offers experiences that you wouldn't get without VR. I personally don't feel like a game has to be VR-exclusive for it to be a killer app. This game more than any other is making me for the first time seriously consider buying a VR headset :)

I think we have a different understanding of what a killer app is maybe?

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Around the Network
Tmfwang said:

Imagine P.T. recreated in this in VR... 

Not something I would like to play as that was scary as hell without the VR headset. I recently picked my PSVR with the Days of Play $199 deal last week. Loving Moss, Psychonauts, GT sport, Drive Club VR and the Playroom VR. Looking forward to Tetris Effect and Ghost Giant. Also this game and especially now finding out that it is going to actually have VR support, I'm ecstatic! Got a couple of friends in the Trials Community that also used to be big into building in Little Big Planet, really looking forward to also building in Dreams. Wait till you see what we are going to put out. One thing that I hope to see made is Mario Kart PS VR.  Think Nintendo is missing the opportunity of a lifetime and that Kart game in VR mode is actually the ultimate way to play it. Hopefully Dreams can make it a reality. Here is track created Trials a while back showing some Nintendo creation. 

https://youtu.be/NAryOgiv9PI

Tmfwang said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

You needed PSVR to play RE7 in VR mode. RE7 wasn't a killer app for PSVR though. What makes this different? I mean, I'm open to arguments at this point. 

I feel like a killer app for PSVR is a game that makes you go out and buy a headset. The VR mode for Dreams is exclusive to VR (obviously) and offers experiences that you wouldn't get without VR. I personally don't feel like a game has to be VR-exclusive for it to be a killer app. This game more than any other is making me for the first time seriously consider buying a VR headset :)

I think we have a different understanding of what a killer app is maybe?

I guess we'll have to wait and see. If a large chunk of the user-created content was VR-only, that would definitely move PSVR units. 

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Honestly, I'd consider getting VR for Dreams just for personal use, so I can walk around in my own worlds and stuff, if they can deliver on the promise then it could be pretty bloody amazing!

Someone run this concept by me...so is this a game making tool or what???

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Around the Network
SuperRetroTurbo said:

LittleBigPlanet on steroids.

I thought Dreams was just a level creator for a game, like LittleBigPlanet and Super Mario Maker.
Is it possible to create games from scratch?

Bristow9091 said:
SuperRetroTurbo said:

LittleBigPlanet on steroids.

Another one I missed. Really wanted to play that when it was hot. My go to game right now is Mario Maker. I have the 3ds version which is cool but sucks that you cant share. What a stupid thing to do on Nintendos behalf. I'm very rarely disappointed with them but this one def does it.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Killer App and VR is an oxymoron. The world has shown that its still lukewarm on the idea of strapping shit to their heads and pretending to be inside of video games. The software isn't realistic enough, it's too expensive... maybe in ten more years when things improve. But right now, nothing is going to "put it over the top". There's no SMB1 or Pong that is going to ignite it.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
I thought Dreams was just a level creator for a game, like LittleBigPlanet and Super Mario Maker.
Is it possible to create games from scratch?

In short; Yes.