By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - This is PSVR's Killer App

Shaunodon said:
twintail said:
Why not put Dreams in the title?
Medisti said:
If I can play it without getting a PSVR, it isn't really a killer app. It's a PS4 game with VR support (and exclusive content). Nintendo pulls similar tricks all the time. A true killer app for VR will be an amazing game that can ONLY be played with PSVR. I played Resident Evil VII just fine without it.

Summary: If he put Dreams in the title, we'd know the title was wrong.

LittleBigPlanet was a surprising gem on the PS3. The fact that all the content/levels in the game were so great, but that you soon started to realise you had all the tools in your hand to make those same levels, or to just completely go nuts with your own ideas. All the little secrets and challenges hidden througout the levels, that tied directly to how many things you unlocked for creation. The co-op gameplay (punching other sackboys) and all around quirkiness. There was just so much to do and love about it.

It's gonna be hard to capture that same magic again, but I'm hopeful for Dreams. Don't think it will sell me on PSVR though.

I'll probably be terrible at creating things, but I've got my eye on Dreams so I can see what kind of cool stuff people cook up.

But I won't be getting a PS:VR for it, which is the entire purpose of a "killer app."

Around the Network

Dreams is the one that is going to make me take the plunge for certain.

GribbleGrunger said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

If it was just the experience of VR that sold VR, don't you think VR would have taken off already? As far as I know there's still under 3 million PSVR units sold. So RE7 sold VR headsets? Any sales data to back that up? 

Edit: For real though, if you can prove that PSVR sales got a boost around the same quarter that RE7 came out, I'll be convinced. 

I'm not talking about boosting sales, I'm talking about sustaining sales and giving people reason to continue using their VR headset. You said the Dreams isn't a VR killer app because you can play Dreams on a normal PS4. The two are completely different experiences. 

Sustaining sales only means something if sales are high, and successful. PSVR sells poorly. 

Can't wait to fire up my PSVR when this comes out! Also to play some more Farpoint. Sony has been providing too many non-VR games to let me clear out my backlog!

I am Iron Man

John2290 said:
Medisti said:
If I can play it without getting a PSVR, it isn't really a killer app. It's a PS4 game with VR support (and exclusive content). Nintendo pulls similar tricks all the time. A true killer app for VR will be an amazing game that can ONLY be played with PSVR. I played Resident Evil VII just fine without it.

You played an image of what Re7 really is if you haven't played it in VR. It's like saying you played a sim racer with K&M over a wheel, the wheel (or VR) is so far beyond the experience without that it's barely comparable. You missed out on true tension and actual scares that can't come from a TV.

Okay? I still played it. Thought it was okay. Moved on. Doesn't matter if it's "better" in VR, because I didn't need to get a VR headset to play it, so I didn't. To be a killer app, it needs to be a "you buy this because it's the only way to play this amazing game" situation.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
Killer App and VR is an oxymoron. The world has shown that its still lukewarm on the idea of strapping shit to their heads and pretending to be inside of video games. The software isn't realistic enough, it's too expensive.

The world has also shown that it's lukewarm on the idea of playing video games on a TV. Over 7 billion people ( over 90 percent of the population) don't have a home console, over 7.5 billion people ( 97 - 98 percent of the population) don't have a current gen home console.

Medisti said:
John2290 said:

You played an image of what Re7 really is if you haven't played it in VR. It's like saying you played a sim racer with K&M over a wheel, the wheel (or VR) is so far beyond the experience without that it's barely comparable. You missed out on true tension and actual scares that can't come from a TV.

Okay? I still played it. Thought it was okay. Moved on. Doesn't matter if it's "better" in VR, because I didn't need to get a VR headset to play it, so I didn't. To be a killer app, it needs to be a "you buy this because it's the only way to play this amazing game" situation.

But Dreams isn’t like REVII?

In Dreams there’s going to be thousands of unique experiences that can ONLY be played in VR, because that’s how the user who created the level made it. So there’s thousands of experiences there that you wouldn’t get without VR.

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

seems with dreams you could amazing things

I'm really excited for this but I'm afraid I just won't have the dedication to see a project through, I have a long history of trying to make a games or levels and giving up halfway through. But I do think it'll still be fun to see other people's games, that was always what I spent most time doing on LBP.

Tmfwang said:
Medisti said:

But Dreams isn’t like REVII?

In Dreams there’s going to be thousands of unique experiences that can ONLY be played in VR, because that’s how the user who created the level made it. So there’s thousands of experiences there that you wouldn’t get without VR.

Reminds me of how you can play some Nintendo games without amiibo, but the amiibo unlock extra stuff. Didn't buy the amiibo, because I could play the game without them.