Forums - Sony Discussion - This is PSVR's Killer App

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
I thought Dreams was just a level creator for a game, like LittleBigPlanet and Super Mario Maker.
Is it possible to create games from scratch?

Yes, you can create everything from scratch; music, logic, characters, animation, gameplay, logic etc.



Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Around the Network
SuperRetroTurbo said:
Someone run this concept by me...so is this a game making tool or what???

It’s a game where you can create everything from scratch; music, logic, characters, animation, gameplay, logic etc.

 

It also comes with a full campaign that was created using ONLY the games own tools :)



Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
I thought Dreams was just a level creator for a game, like LittleBigPlanet and Super Mario Maker.
Is it possible to create games from scratch?

you can make a real game completely from scratch (Media Molecule is making the Dreams single player entirely with the tools inside their game), but even better is the ability in Dreams to take assets others have created and published to quickly add to your game

there will be lots of people just trying to perfect trees/plants/cars/robots/ etc, there will be people pumping out new tunes/music or create animations etc and aslong as they publish it you'll be able to easily integrate all of these creations into your game and they automatically get credit for their contribution



If I can play it without getting a PSVR, it isn't really a killer app. It's a PS4 game with VR support (and exclusive content). Nintendo pulls similar tricks all the time. A true killer app for VR will be an amazing game that can ONLY be played with PSVR. I played Resident Evil VII just fine without it.



twintail said:
Why not put Dreams in the title?
Medisti said:
If I can play it without getting a PSVR, it isn't really a killer app. It's a PS4 game with VR support (and exclusive content). Nintendo pulls similar tricks all the time. A true killer app for VR will be an amazing game that can ONLY be played with PSVR. I played Resident Evil VII just fine without it.

Summary: If he put Dreams in the title, we'd know the title was wrong.

LittleBigPlanet was a surprising gem on the PS3. The fact that all the content/levels in the game were so great, but that you soon started to realise you had all the tools in your hand to make those same levels, or to just completely go nuts with your own ideas. All the little secrets and challenges hidden througout the levels, that tied directly to how many things you unlocked for creation. The co-op gameplay (punching other sackboys) and all around quirkiness. There was just so much to do and love about it.

It's gonna be hard to capture that same magic again, but I'm hopeful for Dreams. Don't think it will sell me on PSVR though.



Around the Network
Shaunodon said:
twintail said:
Why not put Dreams in the title?
Medisti said:
If I can play it without getting a PSVR, it isn't really a killer app. It's a PS4 game with VR support (and exclusive content). Nintendo pulls similar tricks all the time. A true killer app for VR will be an amazing game that can ONLY be played with PSVR. I played Resident Evil VII just fine without it.

Summary: If he put Dreams in the title, we'd know the title was wrong.

LittleBigPlanet was a surprising gem on the PS3. The fact that all the content/levels in the game were so great, but that you soon started to realise you had all the tools in your hand to make those same levels, or to just completely go nuts with your own ideas. All the little secrets and challenges hidden througout the levels, that tied directly to how many things you unlocked for creation. The co-op gameplay (punching other sackboys) and all around quirkiness. There was just so much to do and love about it.

It's gonna be hard to capture that same magic again, but I'm hopeful for Dreams. Don't think it will sell me on PSVR though.

I'll probably be terrible at creating things, but I've got my eye on Dreams so I can see what kind of cool stuff people cook up.

But I won't be getting a PS:VR for it, which is the entire purpose of a "killer app."



Dreams is the one that is going to make me take the plunge for certain.



GribbleGrunger said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

If it was just the experience of VR that sold VR, don't you think VR would have taken off already? As far as I know there's still under 3 million PSVR units sold. So RE7 sold VR headsets? Any sales data to back that up? 

Edit: For real though, if you can prove that PSVR sales got a boost around the same quarter that RE7 came out, I'll be convinced. 

I'm not talking about boosting sales, I'm talking about sustaining sales and giving people reason to continue using their VR headset. You said the Dreams isn't a VR killer app because you can play Dreams on a normal PS4. The two are completely different experiences. 

Sustaining sales only means something if sales are high, and successful. PSVR sells poorly. 



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

 

Can't wait to fire up my PSVR when this comes out! Also to play some more Farpoint. Sony has been providing too many non-VR games to let me clear out my backlog!



I am Iron Man

AlfredoTurkey said:
Killer App and VR is an oxymoron. The world has shown that its still lukewarm on the idea of strapping shit to their heads and pretending to be inside of video games. The software isn't realistic enough, it's too expensive... maybe in ten more years when things improve. But right now, nothing is going to "put it over the top". There's no SMB1 or Pong that is going to ignite it.

Well, there need to be more AAA games, and the price has to come down.  It's still pretty power intensive.  

But I've shown off VR to a lot of different people, men in their 60's to girls in their late teens.  Everyone was blown away by the headset.  

Biggest thing it needs is a reason for people to buy it, though.