By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - This is PSVR's Killer App

GribbleGrunger said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

No, but people do buy a new system, when they want an exclusive game badly enough. Case in point, Halo CE. 

It doesn't work like that with VR. There isn't big enough competition as there is with consoles. Maybe one day but right now it's the experience itself that sells VR, not just the exclusive software. Case in point, the last RE which was also available on the base PS4.

If it was just the experience of VR that sold VR, don't you think VR would have taken off already? As far as I know there's still under 3 million PSVR units sold. So RE7 sold VR headsets? Any sales data to back that up? 

Edit: For real though, if you can prove that PSVR sales got a boost around the same quarter that RE7 came out, I'll be convinced. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 27 June 2018

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

It doesn't work like that with VR. There isn't big enough competition as there is with consoles. Maybe one day but right now it's the experience itself that sells VR, not just the exclusive software. Case in point, the last RE which was also available on the base PS4.

If it was just the experience of VR that sold VR, don't you think VR would have taken off already? As far as I know there's still under 3 million PSVR units sold. So RE7 sold VR headsets? Any sales data to back that up? 

Edit: For real though, if you can prove that PSVR sales got a boost around the same quarter that RE7 came out, I'll be convinced. 

I'm not talking about boosting sales, I'm talking about sustaining sales and giving people reason to continue using their VR headset. You said the Dreams isn't a VR killer app because you can play Dreams on a normal PS4. The two are completely different experiences. 

The PS5 Exists. 

I wonder how much better a text adventure is in VR har har.

It looks good, will buy although I rather have a long game than lots of short ones. It better have a much better way for finding the good stuff than LBP had. I don't want to sit there with the VR helmet on mainly staring at download and loading screens to try something for 30 seconds and put it on the scrap pile.

Yet perhaps someone can recreate something like Pixeljunk 3AM in Dreams VR. Making music with move while inside a visual scape of that music, basically make your own Rez experience on the fly, that would draw me in. Especially with a certain substance becoming legal here soon!

SvennoJ said:

I wonder how much better a text adventure is in VR har har.

It looks good, will buy although I rather have a long game than lots of short ones. It better have a much better way for finding the good stuff than LBP had. I don't want to sit there with the VR helmet on mainly staring at download and loading screens to try something for 30 seconds and put it on the scrap pile.

Yet perhaps someone can recreate something like Pixeljunk 3AM in Dreams VR. Making music with move while inside a visual scape of that music, basically make your own Rez experience on the fly, that would draw me in. Especially with a certain substance becoming legal here soon!

Do you know the only thing I took away from that text adventure was, they've got some decent fonts now. 

The PS5 Exists. 

I hope they sell Assets that people can flip.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
I thought Dreams was just a level creator for a game, like LittleBigPlanet and Super Mario Maker.
Is it possible to create games from scratch?

Yes, you can create everything from scratch; music, logic, characters, animation, gameplay, logic etc.

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

SuperRetroTurbo said:
Someone run this concept by me...so is this a game making tool or what???

It’s a game where you can create everything from scratch; music, logic, characters, animation, gameplay, logic etc.

It also comes with a full campaign that was created using ONLY the games own tools :)

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
I thought Dreams was just a level creator for a game, like LittleBigPlanet and Super Mario Maker.
Is it possible to create games from scratch?

you can make a real game completely from scratch (Media Molecule is making the Dreams single player entirely with the tools inside their game), but even better is the ability in Dreams to take assets others have created and published to quickly add to your game

there will be lots of people just trying to perfect trees/plants/cars/robots/ etc, there will be people pumping out new tunes/music or create animations etc and aslong as they publish it you'll be able to easily integrate all of these creations into your game and they automatically get credit for their contribution

If I can play it without getting a PSVR, it isn't really a killer app. It's a PS4 game with VR support (and exclusive content). Nintendo pulls similar tricks all the time. A true killer app for VR will be an amazing game that can ONLY be played with PSVR. I played Resident Evil VII just fine without it.

twintail said:
Why not put Dreams in the title?
Medisti said:
If I can play it without getting a PSVR, it isn't really a killer app. It's a PS4 game with VR support (and exclusive content). Nintendo pulls similar tricks all the time. A true killer app for VR will be an amazing game that can ONLY be played with PSVR. I played Resident Evil VII just fine without it.

Summary: If he put Dreams in the title, we'd know the title was wrong.

LittleBigPlanet was a surprising gem on the PS3. The fact that all the content/levels in the game were so great, but that you soon started to realise you had all the tools in your hand to make those same levels, or to just completely go nuts with your own ideas. All the little secrets and challenges hidden througout the levels, that tied directly to how many things you unlocked for creation. The co-op gameplay (punching other sackboys) and all around quirkiness. There was just so much to do and love about it.

It's gonna be hard to capture that same magic again, but I'm hopeful for Dreams. Don't think it will sell me on PSVR though.