Forums - General Discussion - What country produces the best for these mediums?

Mnementh said:
Music: United Kingdom

Movies: China. Really, they do great movies. And since Hongkong is again part of China, Hongkong and mainland chinese movie productions have merged and do even greater movies. All the while Hollywood feels formulaic and uninspired. Not like the 80s Hollywood, which was great.

Video Games: Japan. Is there any doubt?

Animation: Tricky one. I could pointing out, the animation work for both american and japanese production is now often done in Korea. But you surely meant the artistic part, not the technical. I think I declare a tie between Japan and the US, both have interesting animation, but very different.

Comics: I probably go with France here. Not sure though, I'm not that deep into comics.

I would add another category you seemingly forgot:
TV Series: Netflix followed by HBO! Wait, these aren't countries? Just kidding. I go with the US on this one. Modern series productions in the US are so much better than what Hollywood currently produces. That is the new Hollywood.

The only TV drama I know much about is WWE if that counts. So the USA for that.

Around the Network

music: the whole world
movies: united states
video games: japan
animation: japan
comics: japan

HomokHarcos said:

I did a similar thread for decades, but I will do one for countries. You can add more topics, I've just listed my interests.

Music: United States

Movies: United States

Video games: Japan

Animation: United States

Comics: United States

I almost fully agree with your list, except for the last point. Belgium has produced some of the greatest comics ever (The Smurfs, Gaston, Tintin etc..). Although to be fair they are probably not as popular as American comics.

Though it will be worth mentioning that for music, the greatest bands EVER are not American. (ABBA, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones etc...).

Music: Netherlands, Belgium, Germany (hard trance is my favorite), UK for the rest.
Movies: United states
Video games: Japan
Animation: Japan
Comics: Belgium

HomokHarcos said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Notice I didn't mention Easter Europe there as well :)

If you want to consider the EU a country maybe you can say that.

What if he likes Swiss and Norwegian music though?

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Around the Network

Music: USA - for the vast variety.

Television: Japan - some of my all-time favorite television series are Japanese. Trick, Liar Game, Keizoku, etc.

Video games: Everywhere - I think the parent company is the important part and many of them now have studios around the world. I would have said Japan at one time but everyone else caught up.

Animation: Japan - there is a lot more to select from.

Comics: Japan - by a wide margin and that's coming from someone who used to collect western comics. The sheer scope and variety of manga is almost overwhelming. There are publications for every demographic and plenty of works that are unique and original.

WolfpackN64 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Wouldn't it have been easier to just say "except Spain"?

Notice I didn't mention Easter Europe there as well :)

Easter Europe? I don't see what the Easter celebration has to do with anything here and I'm pretty sure it's not only celebrated in Europe.

Ok I'm pulling your leg and I know you meant EASTERN.

Music: United States

Animation: Japan

Comics: Japan
Mangas are Comics. fight me!

Games: Japan
that one was actually the hardest one to pick.
The video games i personally enjoy the most are normally from western studios but it's undeniable that japanese developers had the biggest impact on the video game industry in the last 30 years.

HomokHarcos said:
Mnementh said:
Music: United Kingdom

Movies: China. Really, they do great movies. And since Hongkong is again part of China, Hongkong and mainland chinese movie productions have merged and do even greater movies. All the while Hollywood feels formulaic and uninspired. Not like the 80s Hollywood, which was great.

Video Games: Japan. Is there any doubt?

Animation: Tricky one. I could pointing out, the animation work for both american and japanese production is now often done in Korea. But you surely meant the artistic part, not the technical. I think I declare a tie between Japan and the US, both have interesting animation, but very different.

Comics: I probably go with France here. Not sure though, I'm not that deep into comics.

I would add another category you seemingly forgot:
TV Series: Netflix followed by HBO! Wait, these aren't countries? Just kidding. I go with the US on this one. Modern series productions in the US are so much better than what Hollywood currently produces. That is the new Hollywood.

The only TV drama I know much about is WWE if that counts. So the USA for that.

Never watched Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, Jessica Jones, The Expanse, Sense 8 and so on?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Music: Mainly US but Japan is great too (Also many other countries).

Movies: United States. 

Videogames: Japan. The only western games I care about nowadays are indies.

Animation: Japan, because there's nothing better than anime (US is great for animated movies (AKA Disney), but for animation in general Japan wins for me).

Comics: Japan.

Last edited by Vini256 - on 24 June 2018